NFL and Antique Cars

BearsFan315

as many of you know I am a die hard Chicago Bears Fan, and if you did not know, you do now :)  if you want to go back further BEFORE the Bears, Decatur Staleys ;) a little history for you all...

i follow them and have done a ton of research on them from start to current. A recent article was posted on their site ChicagoBears.com and it made me smile. it is a picture of the principal owner, Virginia McCaskey who recently turned 96, she is daughter of George Halas, founder and coach of the Bears and one of the founding members of the NF, sitting on a 1920 Hupmobile.

you can click on the link above and read the article,

who says Football and Cars don't go together... just thought it was a great story and  since it contains a great antique car, it would be AACA related !!

VHM Hupmobile.jpg

• Like 3

Interesting thread.  I have indirectly worked for one ex player as a product rep and know another through our kids.  They have done real well in business (exec at major building product co. ) and entertainment (national am radio show), neither are stupid guys, and both are down to earth.  One had a vette but neither are car guys though...

As I see it, the OP is trying to combine two interests of his and I don't see anything wrong with that. Bravo! Thanks for the link...she looks like a nice lady who loves her family heritage.

I'm not a football fan, but it would be be cool if Bluegrass music and old cars could be combined somehow...

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

I was born and raised 40 miles north of Chicago in Waukegan and have always been a big fan of all the Chicago teams including the Bears. The late Walter Payton is my all time favorite NFL player. Hopefully they can get it together one of these years and play in another Super Bowl. Thanks for the pic and GO BEARS! :)

15 hours ago, JamesR said:

I'm not a football fan, but it would be be cool if Bluegrass music and old cars could be combined somehow...

I'm not for much of any sports in general, never cared for sweaty guys rubbing on me.

Music is good, always had a James Bond CD in the Jaguars. Sound track from The Music Man was good on the morning commute when I was stopped at the expressway light with 4 miles of straight road ahead. Lately I have been sticking my foot into all 12 with The Flight of the Valkyries cranked up.

Something about the cars I like and Bluegrass that doesn't quite fit.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JamesR said:

I'm not for much of any sports in general, never cared for sweaty guys rubbing on me.

Music is good, always had a James Bond CD in the Jaguars. Sound track from The Music Man was good on the morning commute when I was stopped at the expressway light with 4 miles of straight road ahead. Lately I have been sticking my foot into all 12 with The Flight of the Valkyries cranked up.

Something about the cars I like and Bluegrass that doesn't quite fit.

I was fortunate enough to get to know Sweetness (Walter Payton) thru a client and going to his restauant in Aurora which was near my office. If you have never been to the ROUND HOUSE in Aurora, he has a room with a lot of his memorabilia in it, well worth seeing and good food. There is a story about him wanting to redo his basement in Barrington and he offered the furniture to some young guys that he had doing odd jobs for him. They were getting an apartment and needed furniture.  They loaded all of the couches and chairs and tool off. Walter went to get his super bowl ring which he thought he had left on the bar in the basement. It was nowhere to be found.  He didn’t want to confront the kids and ask if they had seen it as he felt they would think he was accusing them of taking it.  He finally said the heck with it and had a new ring made.  I could actually put his ring on my thumb and spin it around. Walter had massive hands.  About two years later he had a knock on his door and there stood the three guys he had given the furniture too.  They told him the furniture was shot (3 guys in an apartment) but wanted to be sure he didn’t want it back as they were breaking up the apartment, one was getting married, another was moving out of state for a job and the third could not afford it alone. He said he did not need the furniture back. Then they asked if he had lost anything that was important to him and held up his super bowl ring.  It had fallen into the cushions of the couch.  They only found it because they broke the couch up to make it easier to take out of the apartment.  Today Walter’s son and daughter each have a super bowl ring because of this.  He truly was “Sweetness” in every way.  He is missed.

Dave S

• Like 2