1966 F100 Short Bed Styleside Metal/Body/Paint Work

Getting back to panel alignment.  I started by measuring the frame height at the ends and body mounting points to make sure it was level and not twisted.  It was off a bit so I checked tire pressure and found that the right front was down to 12 psi which was causing that corner to sag.  With all tires set to the same pressure the front and rear were within 1/16" side to side.  

DbwQRAvh.jpg

JBInY3mh.jpg

Zero spacers under the rad support, just the bushings. The front of the hood was too low and the fender to door gap was way off- too big at the top and too tight at the bottom.  

GdZTwnyh.jpg

Raising the rad support up corrected the rear fender gap and got the hood's surface in line with the door top and cowl.  I didn't take pics of it but I use a 8' stick of 1/2 x 1/2" aluminum C channel to lay across the panels to check the overall shape to see which way the panels need to be adjusted to have a consistent shape from front to back.  

yuCe2Enh.jpg

The fender wouldn't adjust up enough so I had to slot the cowl holes upward.   The bottom flange also needs trimming to allow the fender to come up a bit more.   The hood to fender gap is still too large so I'll have to lengthen one of the two to close the gap. 

JTJoZtSh.jpg

eRQVWVxh.jpg

ZMg3Xlvh.jpg

The original bumper filler was crunched too badly to reuse so I ordered a new one, and it was made too badly to use- nothing lined up and it pushed the fenders apart too far.  I found a used filler panel locally and test fit it.  The radiator support holes didn't line up well with the original holes in the middle, and I had to trim the rear outer edges of the filler so the filler could move back enough to line up with the fender edges. 

JpE8NUKh.jpg

Ov3xfArh.jpg

DJyBpDNh.jpg

The fit between the fender bottoms and filler panel edges were off pretty far as well.  The last '66 F100 we built with factory fenders also fit badly so I don't think this is a problem with the new fenders.  

GhhNrdmh.jpg

LloO8Jkh.jpg

jeYEtHTh.jpg

With everything roughed in the front of the driver side fender stuck out from under the hood on the driver side by over 1/2".  The frame notches in the bumper filler panel were way off compared to the frame horns, so I moved the radiator support over to the passenger side to get the fender corners more lined up with the hood edges.   They're still not 100% centered.  Its pretty apparent that the frame is bent since the notches in the filler panel don't line up with the frame horns (especially the passenger side), plus the original filler panel and inner fenders were crunched.  The upper bumper holes measure 31 5/8" center to center compared to 32 1/4" C2C for the splash panel notches.  The frame already has to come back apart later, Fatman Fab welded the crossmember in ~2" too far forward which didn't show up until we hung the fenders.  I'll pull the passenger side rad support bolt  so the rad support can move over enough and use a C clamp to hold that side in place while I rough out the panel alignment and bodywork, and the frame can be fixed once it all comes apart for paint after blocking.  

3GwfQ25h.jpg

epM4zQih.jpg

SPXEhubh.jpg

• Like 1

The door was way off before I took the truck apart, and stripping the paint didn't magically make them fit better.  

MFBOfRvh.jpg

RleNFMVh.jpg

00pwdp9h.jpg

u0QB11Qh.jpg

AnWlxKbh.jpg

The door was sunk inward so far at the front that slotting the bolt holes inthe hinge wasn't enough to get the door out far enough.  The outside edge of the top hinge was hitting the hinge pocket in the A-pillar, so I ground off a bit of the hinge and used an air hammer to push the pocket out wider.  This pic shows where the hinge was contacting the pocket.  

2Q2MC85h.jpg

With the door out enough to match the windshield post and fender height, the bottom half of the cowl no longer lined up.  I left the rust repair in the bottom of the cowl sides unfinished in case this didn't line up, at this stage I can easily reset the cowl width to match the door and hood width/shape. 

fo2M7j9h.jpg

The corner profile between the door and pillar were mismatched so I cut the cowl and jamb to reshape that corner to match the door.  

LqGKRnsh.jpg

x63XbZXh.jpg

Window frame starting point.  The top is already way better than the before pic, disassembling the roof and drip rails let me straighten a lot of the inconsistencies out of the rails. 

cjf7rRLh.jpg

XLEFadbh.jpg

Huge A pillar gap. 

Tp8VaoZh.jpg

Tapered B pillar gap.

AAffFc6h.jpg

Typical taper of the B pillar- flush at the top but sticks out at the bottom.  Would love to know Ford's reasoning for their terrible fitment here.  

xdhymzSh.jpg

1/8" welding rod welded to the door edge and pillar edge. 

RlF4DX9h.jpg

Ru6QFTxh.jpg

Ground flush, blacked out, marked to set the new gap. 

I4vvKBsh.jpg

Rod edges ground straight and sanded smooth. The gaps are set to roughly .156".   

Oy66uygh.jpg

RrjoTZ6h.jpg

• Like 4

The drip rail had a high spot up front so I tapped that down with a hammer and delrin block.  

6QI5Jydh.jpg

Gap along the middle was pretty good. 

4Tt0EPuh.jpg

This angle doesn't show it well, but there was a slight high spot in the curve at the rear of the drip rail, also removed with hammer/delrin, and a curved dolly supporting the bottom so that only the center of the curve would drop down. 

XLEFadbh.jpg

After straightening the drip rail and welding 1/8" rod to the front ~6" of the door edge. 

uYbaVDJh.jpg

The rear corner and back edge was tight in a couple of areas.  

G6hge6Lh.jpg

It wasn't tight enough to cut the outer panel and tap the edge back, so I tapped the edge back but that made a high spot around the edge.  I used the shrinking disc to bring the high spots down, and drilled out the spot welds along the B pillar side of the inner panel so I could bend it out of the way for access to hammer and dolly the area to the correct shape. 

rFrhPZch.jpg

lzNpId6h.jpg

A problem with tapping back an edge to increase the gap- The side of the flange becomes more visible since the base of the flange in the jamb is still spot welded in the same place.   Notice that the lower half that I hadn't tapped back still has a 90* flange, so the flange isn't visible in a straight on shot.  The upper half shows, which looks bad when the door is closed and the side of the flange is more visible.  

mvavZfah.jpg

To counter that, I used a rounded over chisel tip to walk the base of the flange over to match the 90* flange of the untouched area.  With the door closed the flange isn't tilted so it looks natural.  I lightly went over the shrunk area with a 3" 100 grit pad and then the DA sander to prep for epoxy.  The shrinking disc leaves the surface too smooth for epoxy to grip- notice the reflection of the ruler a few pics up.  

rneG9Y8h.jpg

No pic, but I pie cut the flange of the B pillar top to bottom to move the outer panel inward, flush with the window frame on the door.  I'll get pics of this when I gap the other door.  At the bottom I cut out a section and made a new wider piece to weld in since the gap was so wide.  

9stHnlhh.jpg

Checking the fit of the new piece, then using the shrinker/stretcher to match it to the door edge.  

8SPFleKh.jpg

3sXBEeBh.jpg

Ykn9pefh.jpg

Tweaking the gap with a small flathead screwdriver.

QcWLFB2h.jpg

Old dead calipers set to .156" to check the gap as I went along. 

jLgTbLHh.jpg

Welded in and welds smoothed.  

tpGsJNvh.jpg

SDETGBxh.jpg

ztBCWDdh.jpg

SekBjRih.jpg

HmBfC7Dh.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 5:29 AM, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

Great work. Is the other side just as bad? I was wondering what is a shrinking disc you are using?  I’ve never heard or seen one before. Mike

Yes, both sides had really bad gaps and alignment from the factory.   A shrinking disc is a metal disc on a grinder that makes friction against the high spots to heat them up enough to shrink the high area down.  They're very effective at targeting stretched metal from dents/damage without overheating the panel like a torch could easily do.  

On 1/27/2022 at 1:00 AM, DavidC9057 said:

You know all this is almost a lost art. I don’t know who taught you but they had to be good at it. Like you. Didn’t know anyone in SC could do this. I live in upstate SC also. 

There are a few shops around that do metalwork but most just pile on filler to correct body shapes and mismatched panels.  I went to Greenville Tech for collision repair which covered basic body/paint work and welding but most of the metalshaping has been self taught out of necessity when reproduction panels weren't available. 

On 2/9/2022 at 8:54 PM, Laura S said:

Have to say you do awesome work . I love looking at your thread . 

Thanks! 

Continuing on the passenger door, the gap against the rear jamb was too big. The mismatch in body lines is intentional- the overall panel shape fit best with the door aligned here.  I can use a hammer and dolly to move the short cab corner body line upward to match the door's crease more easily than having to stretch and raise the upper part of the door above the body line to match the flow of the cowl and hood height.      

LGl41Zkh.jpg

eyr3GPHh.jpg

I stop grinding at this point, reweld any missed areas or pinholes, and use a hammer and dolly to correct about 95% of the weld shrinking along the door edge before grinding the weld seam completely flat.  This helps to stretch only the raised weld bead which is the most shrunken part.  The last bit of stretching is done when shaping the door edge to match the cab corner. 

fWn49vdh.jpg

Edge curled from weld shrinkage. 

EF6JteRh.jpg

After hammer on dolly stretching. 

YksRR6zh.jpg

Edge ground to establish new gap size. 

9fNWNoZh.jpg

TdOB7q7h.jpg

Moving up to the cowl.  The flow from the door to hood is good both down at the body line and up at the top of the door, but the bottom half of the cowl was low in comparison.  I already had the bottom cut away for rust repair so I decided to cut higher up and make a new cowl side to both repair the rust and fix the low area all at once since it would be the same amount of welding either way, and a higher cut would have better inside access for weld seam planishing.  This is using aluminum c-channel to check for panel flow and high/low spots.  This is exactly how a long sanding block would contact the body when blocking so its a great way to visualize what the overall panel flow is and what needs to be adjusted before blocking to minimize overall high/low spots. It's springy so it flexes in a natural arc- perfect to check panel to panel flow. 

xe1b1cph.jpg

jYzMdADh.jpg

Template to lay out the panel edges/gap size. 

Q3Ddh6fh.jpg

zyi118eh.jpg

Rolled in the english wheel with an inner tube over the top wheel so it only bends in one direction.  I did make a few light passes with a low crown wheel to add a slight crown to match the overall shape down the side of the truck. 

h78q6pph.jpg

Tipping the edges, then shrinking to fit the contour of the hood and door.  I'll wait to finish the bottom edge once the fender height is finalized so I can set the fender to cowl gap correctly. 

uaDl9I4h.jpg

oq1tIAXh.jpg

a4gHS4ph.jpg

• Like 2

Driver side door progress.  The rear edge of the door from the window frame down didn't fit too badly after the initial adjustment but the window frame was sticking way out. 

lK8apv5h.jpg

eLIWfz5h.jpg

LCSCNiNh.jpg

Cowl top had the same mismatch as the other side. 

ITSYBfFh.jpg

Drip rail was flat across the middle compared to the window frame. 

UhAl6Hdh.jpg

C5b6CJgh.jpg

I used some blocks to wedge the door open at the bottom and shoved the upper rear inward by pushing on the window frame to twist the door into a shape that fit the cab opening better. That made the back edge of the door match the cab corner's shape much more closely and the window frame was no longer poking out at the top. 

E9RLXtuh.jpg

QjlZ1Cjh.jpg

PMG07C6h.jpg

After readjusting the door to make the overall panel shape match up better with the cowl and hood the gaps were actually pretty decent, close enough that I think high build will close the gap up enough to hit my target .156" gap size. 

LzBT3yCh.jpg

XxxlxJQh.jpg

Qwg9fR6h.jpg

Z2H4I0Kh.jpg

Cowl sliced and reshaped to match the door's profile. 

NOeRYuZh.jpg

2uw1TFBh.jpg

a8q0mJsh.jpg

Touching up an uneven spot on the door gap. This area is difficult to make look right since the body lines and gaps are at weird angles.  

MLd4G0zh.jpg

Lm03uzqh.jpg

rNzP7nWh.jpg

xuCb7MCh.jpg

Ihi01snh.jpg

Making the b-pillar flush with the window frame and closing up the gap. I also reshaped the drip rail to follow the curve of the door top for an even top gap. 

RYdkN2Gh.jpg

GBnoU1Qh.jpg

os0M6w4h.jpg

Nox0d5Gh.jpg

3SH5fEjh.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I can't stop looking at the extremely precise and detailed work you've been doing. It's making me question the meaning of my own existence 🤯. JK. You have opened my eyes to alot of new ideas and different processes, thank you for that 👍. Like the dash vents, I've seen them installed similarly, but not with as much style. And those seamless transitions and adjusted gaps like the dash to A pillars. I now have more work to do. I do have a couple of questions about how things will turn out,  so I'm on the edge of my seat for new content from you. Very curious to see how the area between the back glass and duck bill looks. I'm doing a similar, but personal project where the drip rails were previously deleted and I just continued with the look by radiusing the top front corner of the doors and pillar to match the curves. But having to reskin the roof to get rid of the ridge line I decided to weld the rearward seam as well.

Sorry y'all, for writing a book up here 😬.

I hope all are doing well.

Oh, and can anyone tell me what the extra mounting holes/embossed areas under the front edge of the hood far left and right of the latch are? I'm really confused 🤔 by them.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 8:58 AM, novice.at.best said:

I can't stop looking at the extremely precise and detailed work you've been doing. It's making me question the meaning of my own existence 🤯. JK. You have opened my eyes to alot of new ideas and different processes, thank you for that 👍. Like the dash vents, I've seen them installed similarly, but not with as much style. And those seamless transitions and adjusted gaps like the dash to A pillars. I now have more work to do. I do have a couple of questions about how things will turn out,  so I'm on the edge of my seat for new content from you. Very curious to see how the area between the back glass and duck bill looks. I'm doing a similar, but personal project where the drip rails were previously deleted and I just continued with the look by radiusing the top front corner of the doors and pillar to match the curves. But having to reskin the roof to get rid of the ridge line I decided to weld the rearward seam as well.

Sorry y'all, for writing a book up here 😬.

I hope all are doing well.

Oh, and can anyone tell me what the extra mounting holes/embossed areas under the front edge of the hood far left and right of the latch are? I'm really confused 🤔 by them.

Thanks for the compliments!  I'm not sure what the holes under the front edge of the hood were used for, I don't remember anything being attached there.  

Getting the doors and hood in alignment meant I could work on making the bottom of the hood fall in line with the body line that goes through door.  I used string to pull a reference line to see where to trim the hood. 

L0NUNpgh.jpg

With the string set, I clamped a straight edge in place and used a scribe to mark the upper edge as a reference that wouldn't be changed so I could move the string out of the way.  

f1HTpNAh.jpg

7vJhaIth.jpg

This is how much the back edge needed to be moved up.  

7znDHhqh.jpg

Relief cut. 

3iXWfFeh.jpg

Bottom edge pulled up and tacked in place. 

d23B7K5h.jpg

Double checking with string.  The passenger side was checked and found to be in good alignment.  With this set on both sides the cowl sections can be finished to match. 

lqmNQrqh.jpg

The header panel fit was really bad, the gap was really inconsistent and the inner flanges where the header bolts to the fender needed reworking.  

tTDPEk1h.jpg

The inner flange was made at a 45* angle, which looked strange with the two panels bolted together.  

1mN0J4Yh.jpg

Lumpy flange.  I straightened this so the two panels could be bolted together with consistent gaps after being disassembled for paint.

qDaD6tth.jpg

bCtehFDh.jpg

45* flange hammered so the section visible through the gap is at 90*, and beginning to make relief cuts to straighten the edge. 

jfZgvwah.jpg

TE6sM2Ph.jpg

32qPZDqh.jpg

pKddJCBh.jpg

AzcKOICh.jpg

5hZJcV5h.jpg

sablBkQh.jpg

Making the edges flush. 

CF2B8jFh.jpg

E1QMXzdh.jpg

Same process on the other side. 

ojl0kw3h.jpg

Cuq5zIMh.jpg

ypUCJRPh.jpg

T8qmFBph.jpg

G54Zb0Bh.jpg

The grill opening didn't match the grill edge on either side, so I welded 1/8" rod to close up the gaps and made reliefs where needed to even out the gap.  

rw5CUXXh.jpg

I made a template of the grill so I didn't have to mount the grill itself 4,783 times to check progress. 

hrZPgJLh.jpg

1/8" welding rod to fill in the big gaps. 

L25673Sh.jpg

1/16" gap all around.  I'll probably open this up slightly to make room for filler/primer/paint so that the finish painted gap ends up at 1/16".  

VfhfWezh.jpg

Passenger side. 

VDcuGbTh.jpg

qjZS5hTh.jpg

Welds kept as flat as possible to minimize grinding. 

APSpYi6h.jpg

5KN1JzRh.jpg

WwiSHJlh.jpg

40NwRCGh.jpg

x0c5Vcbh.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing work!! You persuaded me to buy a shrinking disk. Now if I can learn to use it! To have taught yourself how to work metal in this manner is outstanding. I actually have some work I need you to perform. Please let me know if you are able. I live in York SC. Not far from you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hope everything is well for you as you haven’t posted in awhile. It has to be a hassle to work and post along the way. But I sure have gained a lot of knowledge from you for my upcoming restoration. Thanks for all the great pictures and text.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 10:53 AM, DavidC9057 said:

Hope everything is well for you as you haven’t posted in awhile. It has to be a hassle to work and post along the way. But I sure have gained a lot of knowledge from you for my upcoming restoration. Thanks for all the great pictures and text.

I'm doing well, still working on the truck but have had more problems than solutions with it lately.  The hood and cowl fitment have been a big pain to get corrected, I'll post details of that soon.  I ended up cutting the left side of the cowl off, and removed the hood's inner braces for better access to repair the braces and to reposition the skin on the braces for better fit against the cowl and header panel.  

After fixing the grill gaps I moved to the passenger side cowl.  The bottom edge had rust in it that I had already cut out.  I pulled string to determine where to fold the bottom edge to match the body line in the door. 

loP3eA8h.jpg

ngfuJPHh.jpg

The aluminum c-channel was used to align the cowl skin at the correct depth compared to the hood and cowl before welding it in place. 

24hWaKuh.jpg

The edges were tweaked to even out the gaps. 

vo332t2h.jpg

I had welded up the antenna hole earlier but there was some distortion from not being able to planish out the welds.  With the cowl cut open I now had access to the back side.  I smoothed out the welds on the back side using a mini belt sander, then planished the welds to level the surface. 

kghl3xSh.jpg

gvtj5WRh.jpg

XMybNJdh.jpg

cwpOB27h.jpg

I always try to place weld seams where I have access to the back side for grinding and planishing, but the weld seam for the cowl made that a challenge.  There is a hole in the upper kick panel that opens up into the cowl cavity and I was able to barely reach into it to hold a dolly and still reach the outer panel with a hammer.   Grinding the welds flat on the inside between rounds of tacking/planishing wasn't as easy, I had to lay on my back with limited visibility and very little room to maneuver a grinder inside the cavity.  

xwm55Ufh.jpg

J6nnOwih.jpg

8iBZJuGh.jpg

FCoOZPYh.jpg

g3r8qQ8h.jpg

Lf3g89Rh.jpg

Contour of the panel was retained by planishing the weld dots- no flat spot from weld shrinkage. 

DrzMwZNh.jpg

Checking the alignment with c-channel after welding the panel in. 

e14UEguh.jpg

iJtXUmih.jpg

NzkLurqh.jpg

• Like 2

The driver side of the cowl had the same rust and fit issues. This side didn't have an access hole and even if it did I didn't want to go through the hassle that the passenger side was.  I should've done this on the other side, there will only be about 2" of butt-weld seams on exterior surfaces that don't have access this way so no planishing/contorting will be needed.  

T3SjF6mh.jpg

zB79H4Gh.jpg

Cutting the cowl top off caused the top of the firewall to flex forward from the weight of the hood, so I welded in a turnbuckle and pulled it back into the correct position.  

sRhGOUWh.jpg

The edge of the cowl and the edge of the hood didn't match up before cutting the cowl open.  Having the skin off let me rearrange the edge to match the shape of the hood for an even gap. 

YkPPAUXh.jpg

I used a chisel tipped hammer to move the crease over, along with a machined down hub as a post dolly and the bead roller to keep the corner sharp. 

9kSAh1dh.jpg

O7eii3Dh.jpg

yCeq2Qqh.jpg

0PQmAFQh.jpg

The dark line is the old edge. 

JseEscFh.jpg

Making progress. I'll finish shaping the cowl once the hood is back together an on the truck so I can make sure it's surface is in line with the door and hood.  

JqDMeH7h.jpg

B3mBJvFh.jpg

Qa4FUIXh.jpg

COOPaWPh.jpg

• Like 1

The hood ended up needing a lot more work than anticipated.  Moving the doors outward to align the A-pillar and window frame meant that the cowl had to be widened to match, and to get the shape to flow from the doors to cowl to hood meant the hood needed widening as well.  The front corners of the hood didn't match up with the shape of the fender tops, and the passenger side hood was too short once I had bent the side out to match the shape of the cowl.  

I initially cut the passenger side lower edge off to make a new taller piece to weld on.   

zYXgwv4h.jpg

I use tape and mark the bends and overall length to use as a template for the new piece.  

QRRb1gph.jpg

voQxAi3h.jpg

bA7W9dEh.jpg

The hump and curved outer edge were made with the tipping die on the bead roller, then fine tuned with the shrinker/stretcher. 

UMswPzvh.jpg

This edge was in rough shape so I made a new section to weld in. 

pfiJBoNh.jpg

Test fitting and tweaking. 

xIz7Pebh.jpg

Forming an offset for the new panel to fit into. 

tHbJU1wh.jpg

KxCmCZNh.jpg

Z3i1Hfhh.jpg

PJHUhDzh.jpg

The corner was rusty and dented and shaped wrong so I made a new one. 

i5fnLtVh.jpg

Lots of puckering from shrinking the edge, half of it shown hammered out. 

6Fzbi95h.jpg

7ZRvXA9h.jpg

The front edge of the hood was rusty and I had cut that out back when I stripped and blasted the hood.   Between the front edge, passenger edge, and passenger front corner being cut out the hood was too flimsy to fit the new outer edge.  With the brace still in it wouldn't be possible to planish the welds across the front. I also found some stress cracks around the spot welds so I decided to remove the braces so I could do a better job of patching the rust and making the hood fit the cowl properly.

l80uZ1Ch.jpg

4ttjpcQh.jpg

This rust along the back edge was flaking up and would've caused a high spot to show up later on, and eventually would've rusted through. 

GuKx9L0h.jpg

LTFo0yXh.jpg

YM8NmqMh.jpg

With the skin off I can mock up the braces, weld in the new outer sides, all while setting the gap to the grill filler panel and fenders, and making sure the back edge is flush with the cowl.  

Ah53NSJh.jpg

• Like 2

Starting with the front brace, there was a plate that the hood catch bolted to that also extended up to the emblem holes in the outer skin. The owner wants to delete the emblem and its recess so I cut off the sides that extend up.  There was some damage around the emblem area and someone had brazed the inner brace to the outer skin at some point.

40I0uWUh.jpg

uPWCA9ah.jpg

The mounting pad for the hood catch bent so I flattened it out. 

2V9ccGLh.jpg

s8ihLwJh.jpg

The safety catch used slide in clip nuts to fasten it to the brace.  I flattened out the clip recesses and made a plate with nuts welded to it to clean up the look and make it easier to mount.  The clips don't let the base sit flat and they move around whenever you loosen the bolts which makes it harder to adjust accurately.  I also welded up the holes for the emblem mounting studs. 

DiGLKTZh.jpg

dikfVddh.jpg

3MRLBeRh.jpg

kg1irAah.jpg

YEIsPe5h.jpg

The edge that sits against the hood skin was curled and rough.  I ran the edge through the planishing hammer to flatten it and pulled tape for a reference to grind back to.  Things like this are quick and easy to do while its apart and will make the sanding the high build much easier.  

IWsDD7bh.jpg

KJYaX36h.jpg

l5SmruXh.jpg

crkxd3ph.jpg

Another area that only takes 5-10 min and makes life a lot easier when sanding primer; the cut outs had rough edges that I flattened with a hammer and dolly. 

cz8ve6Ph.jpg

oaQiMMkh.jpg

There are a couple of unused stampings that bigger trucks used for latching the hood that aren't needed.

g7bNoUch.jpg

6ca65ee6_51bd_4c2d_842f_01c741a15ed6_6b1

DlmTuTBh.jpg

JDbwfYXh.jpg

3ef3Se8h.jpg

pX3rIDPh.jpg

6tWvTM7h.jpg

Edited by theastronaut (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 6/21/2022 at 5:18 PM, GARY F said:

Outstanding work.

Thanks!

On 6/22/2022 at 8:02 AM, novice.at.best said:

YES! Now those extra stampings and holes finally make sense👍, thank you. Beautiful work sir, keep on hammering out miracles.

Thanks!  I didn't remember removing anything from those spots on the hood brace so I asked what they were for on the Ford truck forum. It's interesting how they used the same stamping for the bigger trucks. 

I didn't post many details on patching the other side, so I'll be more detailed about this one.  I formed the top to bottom curve on the slip roll, then added a bit of compound curve on the english wheel, then formed the tighter curved edge on the Pullmax.  The brace and patches are 16g so they required more force to shape than thinner panels.  I already had this die set that was a close match. 

n5LzkWrh.jpg

Clamped in place to scribe the trim line. 

7aKOQcrh.jpg

Precision trimming with the Beverly shear.  It's possible to get a tight fit with minimal gaps or need for further trimming/grinding if the scribe line is accurate.  

6Ar4UxGh.jpg

Welded and smoothed.

R6bZ9A4h.jpg

The overlapped areas didn't match up well so I used a hammer, steel block, and a rounded over air chisel to flatten out the areas that didn't lay flat on the lower piece. 

jfF4N6Yh.jpg

y1C7i7Gh.jpg

GR0akEUh.jpg

VnvBVHvh.jpg

ZPziCkph.jpg

5wznxjvh.jpg

HeRngcqh.jpg

CDOM34ph.jpg

The flat areas weren't very flat and there were raised bumps from spot welds. 

zb3bCSth.jpg

mtoLZhch.jpg

The height of the front edge wasn't consistent from side to side and it had random offset spots pressed in.  Originally this edge had padding stapled in place to support the skin while allowing the skin to float on top of the brace. I'll either use similar padding or two part 3M NVH Dampening Material.  Since this edge will be very visible when the hood is open I wanted to make it the same height all the way across, both for looks and so the padding or 3M NVH will support the hood evenly.  I made a set of simple Pullmax dies from 1" steel bar to reform the edge into an even 3/8" offset. 

s4SttM6h.jpg

zrwaGQLh.jpg

A9IqGclh.jpg

FEqekFVh.jpg

b2Ly7xch.jpg

XV4lqhoh.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Getting started back with updates, I'll break them up into a few posts since I have a ton of pics for the work done on the hood and some of the forums I post to have a 20 pic/post limit.

A few post back I started making new pieces for the bottom edges of the sides of the hood.  Before cutting off the old sides I made notes of how steeply angled the outside edge was bent every few inches. 

1EWBFUZh.jpg

OXFA8nph.jpg

xKMagllh.jpg

I also made tape templates to rough in the shape of each end. 

NuWi3wUh.jpg

AjixrKZh.jpg

yFXaFAEh.jpg

kZZjskUh.jpg

The rear edge had an offset area stamped into it to allow a flange on the brace to fit flush with the bottom edge.  I trimmed a piece of scrap 18g to the shape of the recess and used it to define the edges and depth of the recess, then formed it with a rounded over air chisel tip and hammer.  

AYVxT9dh.jpg

tarJnXNh.jpg

UbAQglJh.jpg

gf4wDY9h.jpg

The hard part- making all the pieces fit together with each other while making sure the edges were in the correct locations.  Getting a piece too high or too low, or too far in or out, or too far forward or backward meant the gaps and flushness would be way off once its all welded together.   At this point the hood skin was really cut up; both sides and almost all of the front were cut out so it was pretty flimsy.  I decided it would be best to focus on getting the inner braces and sides fit together first.  

With the front brace shimmed into the correct position and clamped in place, I started fitting it's flanges to the new sides.   The sides were shimmed off the top of the fender the correct height to keep their edges in line with the bottom of the cowl. 

ts07ll4h.jpg

7hzA1H1h.jpg

ovzPrPZh.jpg

E5XdZMwh.jpg

I decided to shave the holes in the braces to make body and paint work go easier later on; getting paint shot through holes like this onto the inside of the outer skin is a pain and it never looks as good as you want it to.  The outside edges of the holes had lumps on one end so I used a socket and mallet to cold shrink them down smooth. 

Lzu1cvQh.jpg?1

AFo05pqh.jpg

JBghPxqh.jpg

StmrDkMh.jpg

YTefOdOh.jpg

• Like 3

To set the width of the rear hood brace and hood sides I first had to set the location of the rear of the new hood sides.  I also needed to finish the left cowl bottom patch.  I used magnets to float/clamp the aluminum C-channel in place down the length of the door, cowl, and new hood side.  That keeps all the new pieces flowing well from panel to panel.  String was pulled down the door's body line at the correct height so that the new bottom edge of the hood isn't too high or too low, which would throw off the body line and hood to fender gap. 

Y6OBqS3h.jpg

SMWOV0yh.jpg

wOVVAhDh.jpg

OzE711Fh.jpg

Shape of the door transferred to a profile gauge, gauge used to check the shape of the cowl bottom patch.  

8e1tyDnh.jpg

6Xhsqb8h.jpg

Adding curve to the flanged ends until the shape matches the door edge.  The middle of the panel was stretched to add shape by hammering on top of a slightly rounded dolly to add shape. 

1boTXfph.jpg

g5KT1O6h.jpg

Low across the middle after tacking in place. 

X2rJYTmh.jpg

After planishing the welds, still not all the way back to shape. 

EIi5xvgh.jpg

Low again after more tacks. This was good enough to hold it together to finish fitting the cowl in place so the hood could be fitted.  

rTxTMtYh.jpg

With the C-channel and string in place I could accurately measure how long the lower flange needed to be made to make the panel sit flush with the hood and door.  This flange won't be able to be added until the fender comes back off, and I need the fender on to set the hood's dimensions correctly. 

oQNfZzsh.jpg

SMAcFQDh.jpg

The front edge of the hood had been cut out for rust repair, and to shave the recessed emblem mount.  I made a template of the edge of the upper grill panel and marked that shape onto a 4x6" steel tube.  I supported the rear of the hood with angle blocks, making sure to keep the hood level in all directions.  I initially overlapped the new panels and tacked them in place, then doubled checked the fit on the truck to make sure the front edge was in the correct location.  

yj43i0Yh.jpg

KTfzep0h.jpg

g11vRufh.jpg

YsCRLl5h.jpg

With the fit where I wanted it I scribed and trimmed the edge and welded the new pieces in.  The nice part of using tubing was that it kept the flange 100% flat.

fWjjBHFh.jpg

The braces were sandblasted and shot with SPI epoxy.  I also made captured nut plates for the hood latch and safetey catch.  

lE9iOBdh.jpg

PY8kiYeh.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

The hood brace was bolted to the hinges and adjusted back against shims to replicate the gap size and thickness of the outer skin. Also had to adjust the hinges some to get the angle of the brace corrected so the rear edge had a consistent gap along the cowl, and not tighter or looser at the top or bottom. Since the mounting pad swings in an arc I was able to move the hinges up or down to change the resting point angle. The overall height of the brace isn't that important since the rear flange is vertical; the outer skin can be moved up or down against the brace's flange as long as the brace isn't higher than the cowl, or too low that the outer skin's flange wouldn't reach the brace's flange.

To start the brace was too narrow to match up with the hood side's flanges.

GoIBq0Uh.jpg

hpbYZoYh.jpg

Marking how much the brace needed to be bent outwards.

MeIXjfph.jpg

I clamped the brace to a table and made a mark in the center of the brace to reference how much I was bending the edges.

dq2muXJh.jpg

ihMo6Bth.jpg

Double checking and making new notes.

tRPEbeih.jpg

After a lot of hammering and tweaking, the brace and sides lined up.

uvlzRsBh.jpg

This area had a spot that fit too tightly against the cowl which would push the skin too close and make the gap too tight, so I laid a couple strips of tape parallel with the cowl edge.

MpRI3lRh.jpg

With the first piece of tape removed I was able to set calipers at the correct width (silver mark), then scribe the rolled edge to mark where the edge should roll over, then hammer the edge back the correct amount.

cJXIKdzh.jpg

qo8esQuh.jpg

The bottom of the hood brace flange fit too tightly against the hood side flange, so I used a ruler as a spacer/straight edge and scribed a line to trim to. Notice the 1/8" alignment holes drilled through both layers so it can be disassembled and easily reassembled in proper alignment. I did this to all of the pieces once they were fitting correctly.

fHcqbqih.jpg

ZuGoqaNh.jpg

dPX7uwth.jpg

• Like 3

On test fit #6,374 of the hood I noticed that the top of the cowl had a high spot along it's width, which created a weird transition from the cowl to the hood.  Even the vents had a rounded shape.

pctz3vkh.jpg

QRE9ckFh.jpg

I was able to flatten the vents by tapping them down, with a steel block laid across them to flatten them evenly.  

AFc1Nx2h.jpg

zN2KJ39h.jpg

B5Jd8Ixh.jpg

To the left and right of the vents had the same bulge. 

oI5LdOTh.jpg

After a few passes with the shrinking disk. 

lAvaiC0h.jpg

The disc leaves the surface too smooth for primer to stick so I rough it back up with 100 grit on a 5" grinder, then 60 grit on a DA.  

zbEQgTfh.jpg

9ucwfhjh.jpg

Oe22rxJh.jpg

The shape after- good flow from the cowl to the hood that should be able to be perfected with a single thin skim coat of filler. 

p2sawOrh.jpg

7OK56Snh.jpg

Same process on the other side. 

qQAgYfhh.jpg

MTaRznUh.jpg

• Like 6

More hood details.  With the front and rear braces tweaked to fit better, I bolted the rear brace to the hinges, clamped the front in it's final location, and the new sides were spaced off the fenders and held in place with a couple of sheetmetal screws. I used tubing to make temporary braces to hold all of the pieces in place so I could begin fitting the skin to the braces and sides.

xiAcvuJh.jpg

The rear corners of the rear brace had tabs that fold over the hood sides and spot weld into a recess.  The old tabs weren't the same shape on both sides and were in rough shape from all of the spot welds being drilled out, then the tab pried up to separate the skin from the brace.  With the sides mocked up I made tape templates of the new tab shape to match the recess size.  Instead of welding across the straight edge of the brace I made a rounded patch so the tab could be bent along the crease without worrying about the weld seam cracking. 

gLRHU2Dh.jpg

t4QVgfnh.jpg

The recess didn't match left and right, so the new tape templates and tabs didn't match... I didn't catch that when I was making new hood sides using the original sides as templates.  To correct that I trimmed both tabs to match and marked where the recess should end and reshaped it to fit the shortened tab. 

lV8xauTh.jpg

FZt7bi4h.jpg

fjZkCpch.jpg

BmAaX7lh.jpg

iOqoVg3h.jpg

I taped a piece of 18g underneath to use it's edge as a guide for reshaping the recess. 

Lyo8Fs6h.jpg

QWZkb52h.jpg

I relief cut the front corners of the skin to make them easier to reshape, and roughly marked the area that needed to be stretched to correct the shape. 

FaVyfCnh.jpg?1

Edges pulled out flush with the upper grill panel, copper spoon used to weld a temporary bridge to hold that shape. 

a1EpYoNh.jpg

Cardboard template of the upper grill panel's profile, tape template of the new hood corner. 

KL41c0mh.jpg

GKopuMqh.jpg

O3XJ3BRh.jpg

5jjQUvVh.jpg

Y6mfa3yh.jpg

l2UMlQeh.jpg

AiGKnw1h.jpg

kNcosHsh.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2023 at 4:26 PM, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

You are a true artist with metal. Mike

Thanks Mike! 

New lower corner tacked in place, corner profile needs reshaping so both sides of the seam match. 

Fv5M3Fyh.jpg

Hammer on dolly stretching to raise the lower side. 

qsMOyKBh.jpg

v3dtVbVh.jpg

Lower section opened up for a filler piece since the gap was too wide to weld. 

50BGRMCh.jpg

Other corner fitted and welded. 

nlGq4M6h.jpg

2NkQqXgh.jpg

Marking the inner flange to trim off the uneven edge. 

EcFpXtGh.jpg

I made a template of the cowl's profile from 20g bent 90* then shaped with the linear stretch dies in the pullmax and the hand shrinker/stretcher, then built the structure up top to keep it from flexing.  I used it to check and correct the hood skin. 

ZjrWjdah.jpg

zIzwqvhh.jpg

1nEIT1ah.jpg

Lower edges of the cowl marked to match up the hood edges. 

6JAttqwh.jpg

Hood hung at the correct height to match the shrinker/stretcher jaws. 

ClFxBEKh.jpg

OVJZMABh.jpg

Before/after correcting the hood profile. 

Y6lG9zih.jpg

H59vqJxh.jpg

C2mUcr1h.jpg

Double checking the hood skin fit before welding the braces in. 

FExlBHCh.jpg

4qbJS47h.jpg

C3gWpooh.jpg

DGwcTBwh.jpg

• Like 5

The battery had exploded at some point and etched the underside of the hood, which left some rust pits that sanding didn't strip.  I marked those areas and spot blasted them to remove all of the rust. 

dg3Az3uh.jpg

HFCuj1Uh.jpg

Lpdv15Dh.jpg

After blasting I washed the hood inside and out with Ospho to remove the fingerprint rust, neutralized it, wire brushed the inside to remove any flash rust, then DA sanded and shot the inside with a couple coats of epoxy. 

BJh2pDCh.jpg

TYrwo75h.jpg

i4jUEGLh.jpg

I wanted to fix the worst areas while the braces were out for better access so I skimmed/blocked them, then shot white epoxy over the repairs and behind the braces since the truck will be red/white and the inside of the hood will be white.

99FYCi6h.jpg

TMSWhkUh.jpg

A2gProTh.jpg

The battery had exploded at some point and etched the underside of the hood, which left some rust pits that sanding didn't strip.  I marked those areas and spot blasted them to remove all of the rust. 

dg3Az3uh.jpg

HFCuj1Uh.jpg

Lpdv15Dh.jpg

After blasting I washed the hood inside and out with Ospho to remove the fingerprint rust, neutralized it, wire brushed the inside to remove any flash rust, then DA sanded and shot the inside with a couple coats of epoxy. 

BJh2pDCh.jpg

TYrwo75h.jpg

i4jUEGLh.jpg

I wanted to fix the worst areas while the braces were out for better access so I skimmed/blocked them, then shot white epoxy over the repairs and behind the braces since the truck will be red/white and the inside of the hood will be white.

99FYCi6h.jpg

TMSWhkUh.jpg

A2gProTh.jpg

• Like 1

With the skin finished that just leaves the braces.  I had shaved and roughly straightened them but for the level of detail I'm shooting for just spraying high build and wetsanding the primer smooth wouldn't be nice enough.  So I roughed up the epoxy and started filling and blocking each facet to correct and smooth all of the stamping distortion, spot welds, and uneven corner radii.  

nyjEHAWh.jpg

eRfddySh.jpg

GdIDA50h.jpg

aMiUjYhh.jpg

4qghtfch.jpg

uHUJzrah.jpg

BByQSiRh.jpg

Tape used to set the width of the radius, and tape on the edges of the block to prevent the already-established flats from being oversanded. 

aJOT2Pyh.jpg

PLg0UlJh.jpg

PZbD5SGh.jpg

67gMGW0h.jpg

x7cBIWEh.jpg

47FvY43h.jpg

ZH5EIBDh.jpg

2xCFcOvh.jpg

49lh3sqh.jpg

This is something I've had in mind for awhile but hadn't got around to making yet. Correcting shapes with filler like this means you spend a lot of time sanding an even radius into the edges, and they don't always come out 100% perfect.  Since getting the Bridgeport and lathe and learning more about cutting tool geometry I had the idea to make my own corner radius tools to shave an even radius after blocking two facets to a sharp 90* corner.  I started with a piece of 1x1" steel to check my idea and see what kind of relief angles it would need to work correctly.  I ended up on a 7* inside back cut just along the front edge and 7* positive rake angle ground into the face.  I used a 3/16" endmill on this one but bought a set of endmills from 1/8" to 1/2" to make a full set of radius tools, and I'd like to make a set for both 90* and 45* edges.  I'll make them more ergonomic with a handle, this was just an proof of concept test piece.  I did look around at some of the radius tools for woodworking but they didn't seem like they would fit between panel gaps to set the final panel edge radius after blocking the filler/primer.  

yV7IuMNh.jpg

5yoFddhh.jpg

TCG7GpAh.jpg

• Like 2