Sign in to follow this  
jeff_a

Don Boulton, 1925-2018.

Posted (edited)

I was disappointed to read that Don Boulton passed away September 6th. I was looking for something else and read of one of his outstanding Brass Era cars for sale at a Bonhams auction March 7th. His 1904 Peerless Type 8, Model K Roi des Belges sold at their Amelia Island auction, one of two dozen cars from his Oklahoma City collection. He seemed to have one of everything you would want to have in a brass collection. Only his 1913 Mercer Raceabout & 1914 Simplex Speedcar sold for more, I believe.

The Peerless set a record for the marque, $698,000. "The most modern American production car of the late Veteran period, and one of the fastest...a four when most were singles or twins" is from the sales catalogue. Previous owner was Burton Upjohn, who was connected with the the Upjohn Company and the founder of the Gilmore Car Museum in Michigan, Donald Gilmore. Some photos from the auction company before they disappear:

image.thumb.png.08575821d9020e8f4ba9226ae050cf47.pngimage.thumb.png.d8e07f9e4147227268c43332b207d2a0.pngimage.thumb.png.2300dcfe95f281f62279ca5c11e2b6d4.png

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Jeff, were you fortunate enough to have met Don ?  Tom

No, Tom. Though I lived in Kansas a long time, I never met Don, or visited his collection. I kept running across references to him and his 1904 Peerless.

And his concept for a collection was superb.

Jeff, Don was a true gentleman--met him at Chickasaw years ago--toured his collection--always enjoyed seeing him every year at Hershey--Tom

I agree with 13CADDY; a true gentleman.

I was fortunate to meet Don at Chickasaw and tour his collection with Larry Schramm and a few others in 2018.

Posted (edited)

I have no idea who bought Don's 1904 Peerless. It would be kinda neat if the aught-four Peerless went to the Gilmore Car Museum, seeing it's connection to some of the early figures in the Gilmore Museum story. It would also mean it was one of the few collections in the world with all 3 of The 3 Ps of Motordom, meaning they would have 1 each of Peerlesses, Pierce-Arrows, and Packards in their collection for the first time.

Another interesting collection for it to have gone to would have been the Cussler Museum in Arvada, CO. Clive Cussler featured a 1904 24 HP Peerless in his 2015 action-adventure novel The Assassin. And his collection would also be vaulted to the ranks of "The 3 P Club" if it were to add a Peerless.

The "aught-four" Peerless is nearly identical to the first automobile in Salmon, Idaho where I live....driven over the Continental Divide in 1904.ww1288b.jpg

photo from The 1904 Handbook of American Automobiles

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)