HistoryBuff

The Y-Job Returns, Gary Wales replica, anybody know specs

Caught Gary Wales replica of the '38 Y-job rolling into the Benedict Castle concours March 31st in Riverside. Didn't have time to ask him if it is a modern drivetrain underneath.

Anybody know if it is restomoddish in terms of engine, trans and suspension? It is amazing for a guy at least 75 that he has the energy to 

create so many cars (still working on LeBestioni variations). 

1938_Buick-Y-Job-Concept-Image-001-800.jpg

I don't think he built that one, it was a recent purchase. Does it look like the original Y-job?

I have not seen it in person.

Thanks

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, HistoryBuff said:

Caught Gary Wales replica of the '38 Y-job rolling into the Benedict Castle concours March 31st in Riverside. Didn't have time to ask him if it is a modern drivetrain underneath.

Anybody know if it is restomoddish in terms of engine, trans and suspension? It is amazing for a guy at least 75 that he has the energy to 

create so many cars (still working on LeBestioni variations). 

1938_Buick-Y-Job-Concept-Image-001-800.jpg

I would say that the picture is of the original Y-Job and the building in the background is on the Warren Tech Center and is of the GM Design Dome.

The picture was taken in the courtyard area on the south side of the dome.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Here is a picture of the Y-job I guess I downloaded off the internet. I had some from the 2005 BCA meret in Allentown and cannot seem to find them.

Matt

11C81506-C7ED-4B81-A068-C538254D92AF.jpeg

Here's what the headlight treatment looked like in the tent at the 2008 BCA Nationals in Flint, Michigan . . . GM's Centennial Celebration.

1-IMG_0131-002.thumb.JPG.8a0df62d21326384a4b6bfce57de9fee.JPG

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

• Like 1

If we're collecting Y-job photos, here's the Y with the Avenir Concept at the 2015 Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. Pictured with Ed Welburn, GM VP of global design at that time. 

FB_IMG_1554314089440.jpg

• Like 2

if the Gary Wales replica is the one i'm thinking of that car i believe is built on a vette chassis and was sold off of Long Island a few years ago

if it is that car the proportions are a little off but it looks pretty good

Looking at the pictures of the replica that Robera posted, the replica is better unseen than seen. it's obvious instantly that it is not the original.  Back about 20 years ago, there was a Y-Job experimental grill on ebay, one wonders if this guy bought it as that was the inspiration of the build.