NH antique tags and registration

AlfaTazio

We are closing on a home in the Lakes Region of NH, near Wolfeboro, and I am going to want to register some antique cars, 1918 up to 1932. I have looked up the DMV info, much as it may be, and they seem to want to restrict me to only shows, parades, special events...nothing about occasional driving....that's not going to do it.  If  NH resident would chime in, would I be better attempting to get a full registration in lieu of a antique tag..?

Just a side note, today is the first day that I finally adjusted the clutch linkage on my  1918 Scripps Model G, to shift into all gears smoothly, without torturing the tranny....I did not think I would ever get this to work so well...I am not the most experienced cone clutch guy.

The AAA office (American Automobile Association)

may be helpful if you are a member.  They might know

about the driving restrictions for antique cars;  they

certainly should be able to process the registrations

for you. 

I don't know about New Hampshire specifically, but

some states' DMV offices, in general, are slow and bureaucratic,

so having AAA at your service may be very convenient.

PA laws read the same as NH, they don’t want you to use it as regular transportation so they make it sound difficult.  You would probably have a hard time finding someone who was pulled over for just taking a short drive.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, RI has the same rules but I've never heard of anyone being troubled by it... especially with pre-war cars. You're more likely to get stopped because the cop wants to look at the car (something that's happened to me more than once). I haven't even heard of anyone getting in trouble for obviously abusing antique plates (although they should be).

As long as you are not commuting to work or making a trip specifically to go grocery shopping or get stuff from Home Depot, it's normally OK - and you can stop at a store on the way home from an auto-related event, of course.  Usually, the laws include fine print that includes allowing "test drives" and "occasional other uses".  Just have a good story ready.

On the Left Coast, specifically in The Pipples' Republik of Califunny, the Vehicle Code enacted by the legislature says "primarily [emphasis mine] used for shows, tours, parades, and other events of public interest."  But to get Horseless Carriage or Historic Vehicle plates (flat $2/yr ad valorem) one must sign a DMV form that says "ONLY" for such purposes--which makes even test or maintenance drives illegal.  I construe "primarily" as 50.1%.  I carry with my registration a copy of the applicable vehicle code section printed from the DMV website, with "primarily" highlighted.  I'm prepared, but have never had the occasion, to ask the officer "How can you cite me for a violation of this VC section unless you've seen me, over time, using this car as a daily driver?"  To be prepared is to be forearmed.....

Welcome to NH and specifically the Lakes Region. I assume you are aware that Wolfeboro is a hot bed of antique car lovers where there are Duesenbergs, Rolls Royces, all models of Fords to large numbers of newer cars. There are some outstanding private collections throughout the area. The Granite Region of the AACA has announced an interesting calendar of events and you might contact the region president Jonathan James if you have not already done so.

As a former resident of PA I learned many years ago that New Hampshire does some things similar to PA  and many things unique to NH,  the Live Free or Die state. Do not worry about the DMV restrictions unless you will be using your cars as daily drivers. Many register their newer antiques with regular plates but most of us use antique plates due to lower costs and every other year inspections to none at all in the case of your cars.  You will see many antiques and Classics with out of state tags, in fact, there was a 1911 car with a permanent PA purple tag that never had a problem. Registrations are mostly done at your local town clerk's office in town hall. All you need is your registration and title. New Hampshire does not automatically issue titles to antiques; consequently, most of us go through the additional paperwork to get a title. Unfortunately, AAA is of no assistance in New Hampshire.

Feel free to send a PM if you have any questions.

Edited by A. Ballard 35R (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I think it's time the Granite Region hosted another AACA National meet there.  We attended the event in Stowe and it was fantastic.  Eger to return again sometime.  The region did a fabulous job.

Terry

16 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

I think it's time the Granite Region hosted another AACA National meet there.  We attended the event in Stowe and it was fantastic.  Eger to return again sometime.  The region did a fabulous job.

Terry

Absolutely. Thoroughly enjoyed the event in Stowe. Very nice facility. Would be great to return there once again. Hard to believe it has been 8 years since that meet. Maybe in a few more years the Granite Region will host a National or even a Grand National there.

In case some here have forgotten or others are wondering about that meet click on the link below.

2011 Stowe Meet Video

Definitely a unique way to travel to the Meet Show Field.

Charlie

Edited by charlier (see edit history)

15 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

I haven't even heard of anyone getting in trouble for obviously abusing antique plates (although they should be).

Should be? Maybe, but I do it all the time with no hassles.

My DDs are parked pretty much all summer.

As mentioned, have your story ready.

And what happens when some nitwit in a 27-year-old pickup with bald tires kills someone because he's avoided the safety inspection? There will be a hew and cry to abolish Antique registration... or at best push the dates back (which I suspect may be a good idea). Could my 1910 car pass any inspection? Of course, I can make it fulfill the requirements of the law but finding an inspection station that even knows what the laws are would be an ordeal. Years ago a friend of mine kept his 1930 PI RR in regular registration... he took it to be inspected but the fellow he took it to hadn't any idea how to check the brakes. They were fine and he passed it but that doesn't change the fact that to this everyday mechanic, the servo operated brakes were a complete mystery. And then there is insurance---can you even buy regular insurance for an early pre-war car...in a state that has a mandatory insurance rule? I'm really not concerned about enthusiasts. It's the rattletrap tow truck I see occasionally in the town where I work, sporting "antique" plates that worries me.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Restorer32 said:

Stowe was one of the nicest shows we've ever attended in 50 years or so of going to shows.

The Bennington Show at the airport was an all time great event. Once it started moving around it just started the slow downhill slide. Bob