‘38 glovebox now won’t open %#$&&-@!

rodneybeauchamp

Sometimes you feel like you take one step forward, then two steps backward. While searching Gary’s post on his ‘37 looking for dashboard wiring pictures, I got inspired by his work in replacing the clock wiring loom. Well mine was sort of OK but decided to renew it anyway. Great success, looks good on the clock, glovebox light and clock light all work.

However, when putting back the glovebox striker bar, it seems I never got it back in the correct position. Now I cannot open the glovebox door without destroying something. I might even have the bar back to front, not 100% sure on this.

Any ideas, how to get it open? Can I remove the interior box somehow to give me access to the lock. It was all shutting and locking fine before and now it won’t. The key lock side is fine. HELP!

Rodney 😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

You cannot get the glovebox out from the outside. All the screws holding it in are inside.

If pont35cpe's idea doesnt work, I'd just cut the glovebox up to get at the latch. You can get reproduction gloveboxes that arent expensive.

I'd avoid damaging any "hard" parts.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, I think I will just cut a hole in the bottom of the glovebox so I can get my hand in and undo the two screws that hold the striker. Can always then make up a cover plate and fix it back.

I remember on my old ‘40 Pontiac there was a round cover on the front radiator support panel held in with two screws, so you could access the grille retainer bolts.

Will keep you posted!

cheers

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

I just used a thin "slim Jim*" to open a 65-69 Corvair glove box that was misadjusted.

Bent it to start and slid it in the area above the lock to push the catch away from the bar. Of course, had to do it twice, as I still didn't have the adjustment right.... But, the late model Corvair has a weak bar mount, it will deform easily. I do not recall the Buicks having weak bars. Once adjusted they usually stay in place. And if the door is snug fit, the Slim Jim might not work anyway, but if you have one.....

*Slim Jim is a tool for unlocking car doors. Here is a thin type:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/lock-technology-slim-jim-with-s-hook-lti80/22983324-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=22983324-P&adtype=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7YblBRDFARIsAKkK-dKmADdJatMw5GarQk0HwqpxWJeuqeFhuRD5cqZdw37GHWTb_8mVMmgaAryGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Happy boy! 

Got it open (twice) using a thin packing tape cut to fit the slot in the striker. Seems I had the striker adjusted all the wrong way, all good now.

many, many thanks for those suggestions!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

2C53EFDA-2FFA-49B1-8C92-F3389498721F.jpeg

• Like 3