Captain Corey Clark

Exaust and heat exchanger 1930 buick

Looks like a "tension" break, and somebody has been in there at least once, maybe twice with nickel welding rod.

If it were mine I would braze it with brass rod and paint the manifold.

Keep in mind that both halves need to be WELL preheated and POST heated for a good joint.

Not a backyard welding job !  But a good shop, with older guys can do this.

Mike in Colorado

• Like 3

And after the manifold repair, block off that heat riser! 

Posted (edited)

Corey,

Please post or PM me with the casting numbers so I can verify the extra manifold & heat riser I have will fit your engine.

My son may still have a spare exhaust manifold for a 1929 Buick Std. engine & I have these two heat riser bodies.

IMG_20190401_102201351.jpg

IMG_20190401_102215920.jpg

IMG_20190401_102234393.jpg

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

If same as a 1929 Master shouldn't be too difficult to find. Be 100% sure that you go back with the correct cupped or beveled washer that hold the manifold to the engine. Do not overtorque. I even "lube" both sides of the gaskets. Id rather change gaskets than manifolds.

The original heavy "Belleville" Spring Washers maintain fastening pressure through hot/cold cycles. 

Do not overtighten to make them flat.

Spring Washer Diagram.jpg

Spring Washer.jpg

I have a 146-71 heat riser that is suppose to be a 1930. Let me know .$100 including shipping.

Dave

30 buich hr 1.jpg

There should be a casting number on the back side, sometimes hard to find. Indented rather than protruding.

Dave

The exhaust manifold casting number on my 1929 Master is 214604-3. I would be willing to bet that the 1929 and the 1930 use the same part. 1929 parts are more plentiful.

I would toss it and locate a solid replacement. They are out there. Be sure to lube the gaskets and use the correct washers to secure the manifolds, otherwise you will be doing this again.