1940 Buick radiator removal

I have a 1940 Buick special straight 8. I want to take the radiator out for a new core due to overheating. what is the easiest way to remove the radiator? I looked at sliding it up through the front but the cowl over the top of it does not seem removable.

Thanks cool.gif

Remove all retaining bolts, radiator hoses and THE WATER PUMP. When the radiator is completely free, lift the radiator up and gradually tip and draw it back over the top of the engine as you lift. Its a 2 person job and do it carefully. Otherwise you have to remove lots of front sheet metal on a '40.

This is not theory, I have done it this way and it works.

Junior

Joe, I cannot say for sure that it works on all series. Mine was on a Super. Now I wonder if the other series bodies might be different enough in that area to make that trick not useable. It is probably worth a try before removing all of that front sheet metal.

However, George at Lewis Jenkins shop in North Carolina is the one who told me how to do it that way and it DID work for me.

Junior

Thanks, I took it out and dropped it off today. the raditaor guy said it looks like it's in good shape, possibly recently new. Back to square one with my over heating problem. One more question. When i fill it back up, do i just fill the radiator up, let the stat open and continue to fill the radiator until it tops off?

Stan

If you have an overheating problem fix it right. While you have the rad out take out all the core plugs and clean all the sludge and scale out of the water jackets. Replace all the hoses as well as the seal on your pump. Then you should have no more trouble.

Happy hobbying

I had the radiator out of my Super a few years ago and the rad shop said it was fine. A friend did the same thing with his 40 ,but he told them to take it apart anyway, and it was better than half plugged. I wish I had had them pull the tanks, because I think I have the same situation. When my rad comes back out, it will be disassembled ,and if necessary ,a new core installed. I put in a 3.42 gear to slow the engine down on the highway, and that helped, but I am still running too hot.

Hot running Buick 1939 & 1940.

I can't remember which year it is in , the fisher body manual, or the service bulletin book, there is a picture of a radiator fan shroud, to help with the engine cooling, Dave Corbin Now of Texas made one for his 39 LImited some time ago, and was quite happy with the results.

Brain just kicked in , it is in the service bulletin book for 1940, under cooling.

Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

Joe, I had the same result as you in that the radiator shop said mine was clear. I still think he was right because the car only had 17,000 miles on it when I bought it 15 years ago. After flushing it anyway, and with all new hoses and a new 160 degree thermostat the cooling improved slightly. Everybody seems to have this same problem with the '40 Super. I'm old enough to remember them when new, but my father had a '37 Century so I have no point of new car reference for the '40. 17,000 mi. is as near new as I have seen.

I traded the car 4 years ago. Wish I hadn't as it had only had 28K on it.

Junior