1924 Franklin Tire carrier

rjp

Roger. There is a left, right difference.

When you see two title blocks on a drawing, and the titles are using "left" and "right", and the drawing says it's only showing one side, that means there is a difference with the other side even though both titles are sharing just that one drawing.  If there was no difference left or right (or top bottom, etc.), the drawing's title block would list the quantity used as more than one.

If you look at that 29748 drawing, it's showing the additional numbers 28877 and 28876.  Go to those drawings and you'll see that the sheet metal body of the carriers has a mounting wing on one side, which is the reverse shape with the other side.

There's often a lot of info on the drawings besides just the drawings.  And it often leads to other drawings, which need to be looked at. So you need to follow those two addition drawings and see which side you need to find.   Hope this helps your search.

Good hunting

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

3 hours ago, rjp said:

,28877 does have a drawing but the 28876 is a card. I don't see either of those nos. on the 29748, the left  hand block has 29747 but its the same way, a card.

S'ok, you don't need to see the 28876 drawing.  With the two title blocks being on drawing 29748, and one says left, the other says right, that confirms it. And that 28877 drawing also confirms it by showing why they are different. The mounting wing is off to one side and it's not an even shape that would work if flipped around and used on the wrong side. Left and right are mirrored not duplicates. If they were the same there would not be a left or right  title block on drawing 29748. Instead there would be just one title block and a "2" next to quantity used.

FYI, I had many years of training and working as a draftsman/tech illustrator back in the old days before computers, so I can assure you, that's why the drawings are done that way.  

Look at the 28877 left side mount drawing again. If that's what you have then you need to find a right hand mount that is the mirror shape of it.

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Ok, thanks a lot. The one I have on my car must have been modified. It does not have the mounting wing. It has a brace on the bottom that was attached  to it and the running board. Can you help on what that wing looks like?

If you look at that 28877  left hand drawing, the mounting wing is not a separate piece. It's a continuation of one side of the formed sheet metal part that the tire sits into.   The right hand one would just be the mirror shape of it.

If what you have does not match the drawing then that makes it more complicated to find what's missing.  Can you post  pictures of what you have ? That might help  anyone who may have what your missing.

Paul

mine looks just like 29748 but with no wing bracket, maybe taken off, cant see where it went on ,cant see no grind marks or any thing. I do know the mounting bracket that was put on it bolt to running board was welded, so not original.