Sign in to follow this  
Bob Baumgarten

1939 Plymouth pickup

I want to restore my 1939 Plymouth pickup my question is what all do I need to do to

change it to 12v  I want to do this so I can pull my small trailer with 12v lights

thanks

Bob B

I would change the lights in the trailer. Keep your 39 Plymouth original !

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

12 volt conversions are not as simple a they seem and involve changes to at least the following - headlights, taillights, interior & dash lights, generator, voltage regulator, coil and probably a few other things I have forgotten (several hundred dollars more or less). Why not just either change the bulbs in the trailer lights to 6V bulbs or just buy 6 volt lights for the trailer (probably $10 apiece or so at a farm supply store or NAPA. 

The most common reason people change to 12 volts is they think it will make it start better when just buying a good pair of 0 or 00 cables will make it start just as well as converting to 12 volts. 

Edited by vermontboy
spelling (see edit history)

If you are not using a trailer with electric brakes or an electric winch then I would just change the bulbs as the others have said. Doing a 12v conversion on your vehicle will take more time and cost a more in parts than say a Ford or Chevy of the same vintage. The main reason being is you have 2 unique items on your Plymouth that there are no exact 12v replacements for. Headlight bulbs and ignition coil.

If you use collector car insurance they might not like the idea of a trailer. I tried to insure my 1939 tractor and they wouldn't touch anything with an attachment on the front. They might be particular about attachments of the rear, too. Better check just in case.

Bernie