Fleetwood Meadow

2 bad cylinders

On 3/31/2019 at 8:08 AM, Meadowfleet said:

I took a picture inside the cylinder that had the broken valve and this is stuck to the side of the wall. I don’t know what it is. The cylinders that I checked look great though, with the exception of whatever that is. 

13183D2F-A5BD-4F22-A211-CA6C07174DBD.jpeg

Gotta say that's most intriguing. 

On 3/31/2019 at 12:32 PM, Meadowfleet said:

And this was in the #1 cylinder however the spark plug wasn’t covered in wet oil. It was dry. 

CF3F4A6F-649F-4580-B018-3BA7059C1945.jpeg

Looks to me like oil has run down an open valve whilst motor is staionary, good chance the valve guides are shot.

I replaced the valve springs on the odd side. I know I’m not supposed to do a compression on a cold car but I did just to see where it stood:

#1 80

#2 90

#3 95

#4 120

When I did start it I ran it fast and checked to see that oil was getting to the rockers. Oil came out nicely as it should. 

What I find perplexing is that the engine idles and revs smoothly. 

I took the electric fuel pump wire off and ran the car strictly on the mechanical fuel pump. It ran great. Unfortunately I forgot to look and see if the carburetor was still shooting gas out when it was shut off. I will look the next time I run it. There was so much black smoke coming out of the tail pipes I couldn’t see clearly through it. I’m assuming after looking online a little that it is more of a carburetor issue more than it is an engine issue. It didn’t smoke like that before but perhaps that has to do with the weak springs that were on it and now that they are replaced the hidden issues came out. But it was definitely not encouraging to see all of that smoke. 

Edited by Meadowfleet
Added the last line after the compression numbers (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Meadowfleet said:

I replaced the valve springs on the odd side. I know I’m not supposed to do a compression on a cold car but I did just to see where it stood:

#1 80

#2 90

#3 95

#4 120

When I did start it I ran it fast and checked to see that oil was getting to the rockers. Oil came out nicely as it should. 

What I find perplexing is that the engine idles and revs smoothly. 

I took the electric fuel pump wire off and ran the car strictly on the mechanical fuel pump. It ran great. Unfortunately I forgot to look and see if the carburetor was still shooting gas out when it was shut off. I will look the next time I run it. There was so much black smoke coming out of the tail pipes I couldn’t see clearly through it. I’m assuming after looking online a little that it is more of a carburetor issue more than it is an engine issue. It didn’t smoke like that before but perhaps that has to do with the weak springs that were on it and now that they are replaced the hidden issues came out. But it was definitely not encouraging to see all of that smoke. 

So there`s a big discrepancy between 1 and 4 despite the engine being cold, in fact other than 4 they all look sick, what do the other cylinders read ?

To ascertain whether compression leaks are valve or piston ring related, squirt a little oil into the cylinder being checked then do the test, if the pressure is significantly higher after the oil treatment then its indicating faulty rings, if the pressure reading remains much the same then there is a valve leak.

Given your opening comments about rings and heads being messed with, makes it rather difficult to give specific diagnosis; perhaps you need to start again ?? if it were my car, I would not be impressed with that much oil lying on top of the piston in photo 2.

With the carb fault, I would assume you had a lot of residual fuel lying in the manifold which is going to smoke until it all clears thru combustion.The reason I asked about the electric pump, is I suspect, that`s the cause of flooding, it`s simply overwhelming the float needle, so if you continue to use it you may need a regulator, in the first instance however I would try running without using it. 

I haven’t read the other sides compression yet. I took the car around the block and it didn’t smoke and ran very well. When I shut it off the carburetor didn’t spit any gas when the engine was shut off. I guess that the electric fuel pump was creating too much pressure. It’s going to rain for a couple days. I’ll get the compression of all of them the next nice day after the engine is warm.