1932 Franklin Distributor Cap

MikeDeFelice

All the above caps are not interchangeable, and an Auburn cap will not fit a Pierce. You need to keep an eye out for the shelf the clips attach to. Some cars are short shelf and some are tall shelf. The clips are diffrent lengths. Also, firing order may be diffrent. I have no clue what is correct for Franklin, but the caps are not as straight forward as many people think. Call 413-543-9017 and ask for John, he has new and used caps of both styles, I have no idea on price.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, edinmass said:

All the above caps are not interchangeable, and an Auburn cap will not fit a Pierce. You need to keep an eye out for the shelf the clips attach to. Some cars are short shelf and some are tall shelf. The clips are diffrent lengths. Also, firing order may be diffrent. I have no clue what is correct for Franklin, but the caps are not as straight forward as many people think. Call 413-543-9017 and ask for John, he has new and used caps of both styles, I have no idea on price.

Ed, the base part of the cap is not totally uncommon, though I have no idea the cross over.  I use to generally be able to find one or two at Hershey.   I have bought both maroon Bakelite and black.  As to the top part of the cap (part that holds the wires down), I was never able to find a NOS one with correct firing order and always used my original.  And when I wanted to win my PRIMARY BADGE in CCCA with the 1930, I installed a top part of the cap with the incorrect firing order.  And when I sold the car, I put the original top back on as I figured someone along the line would get confused. 

It is a Delco Cap.

There may be cross over to a 6 Cylindar RR of Bentley from the 50's. 

Most people run a 6 Cylinder Chevrolet cap from the early 1950's (with wires exiting the top veses the side)  - does not look very nice though. 

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

All the above caps are not interchangeable, and an Auburn cap will not fit a Pierce.

Actually that is correct and yet not quite. According to my Delco book a 1932 6 cylinder Franklin Series 15B used a distributor cap number 824987.

824987  is correct for;

Auburn           1928-1930

Chrysler         1926 to 30-32

Dodge Truck 1930-34

Franklin          1932

Packard          1927-28

Pierce Arrow 1932-33

Reo                 1927-31

As Paul Harvey would say now for the rest of the story. However the covers are different depending on the firing order;

Firing order 1-4-2-6-3-5   uses cover 820133

Firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4   uses cover 824728

Carl

Edited by 1937-44 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Pierce Arrow Caps:

1929 - all the same.

There were two different caps on Pierce in 30 & 31 for the eights(large and small), 32 obviously had the twelve cap(1932-1938 all) which interchanged with the Cadillac cap for 1931 and possibly 1932. The eight caps were all the same from 1932-1938. 

The later Pierce, Auburn, Oakland, Ect......caps can be very similar but different firing orders. Mixed in there were the short and tall towers where the clamps attach to the cap. Pierce always used the short tower caps.

Best guess is as the years went bye they wanted to make less parts for the shelf, so the caps and interchange got muddled.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1