Sign in to follow this  
detroitsoul

Asking for advice

It's starting look as though I might be able to bring my Zephyr home this summer.  I am fortunate enough to have stored it where I work.  After three years, I am hoping to drive it home this summer.  I hope to be able to drive it a couple of time before winter here. 

This is the first time I have had a secondary vehicle.  I know I will need a battery maintainer.  I have a space cleared out in my garage.  (My driver will be parked outside.. for now)  Any other recommendations would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Sean,

Some things to consider. Everyone who reads this forum and has "played with" old cars has been through this. . How far from where the car is now and  where it will be

driven?  Have you test run the car on the road yet---- brakes work? Are the tires in good shape and hold air?  Does it overheat.?   Can you stay off of high speed dual lane highways? Some one has to follow you .If  most of the questions above have negative answers-----think about trailering it.  It may save alot of heart ache .Good Luck

• Like 1

I've never needed a maintainer, a batt disconnect works well provided the battery is good.  More important if it is going to sit for any length of time is the gas as it can go bad in the tank or eat away at bits causing lots of heartache.  With the modern ethanol fuel and working with boats when the fuel sits it can draw moisture and you will get water in your fuel.  A water separator can help prevent any of this from getting to the engine.  Oh and a drip pan under all old cars . . .

• Like 1

A battery maintainer is not necessary, but it will prolong the life of the battery. A partially charged battery will sulfate and not be able to accept a full charge.

https://www.crownbattery.com/news/sulfation-and-battery-maintenance

Your battery should be disconnected any time you park your car and don't intend to drive it the next day. This is for safety reasons and to prevent the battery from becoming fully discharged. On my 40 Mercury, I just disconnect the grounding cable from the battery and on my Lincoln I have a disconnect switch because the battery is under the floor. If you do decide to use a disconnect switch, buy the best one that you can afford. Every connection has some resistance in it and with a 6 volt system you need all of the voltage that the battery supplies. Most of the ones where you loosen a knob to disconnect the battery will corrode enough in a few years so that they will have significant resistance.

• Like 1

Those knob isolators only have a very small contact area and can  overheat on cranking creating extra resistance and burning thus drawing more current especially  on 6 volt  systems. I  prefer  the proper switch type isolator but they can take longer to install.  I have used a battery maintainer on all my batteries for years, never have a low battery and they last for years. 

• Like 1