Trulyvintage

1950 Nash Ambassador Airflyte - I Am Smitten

4 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

something in the $8K-10K range should be a great buy.

I was reading along thinking $8,000 to $12,000, but I always get accused of paying too much for whatever I get.

The purchase price is only the entry fee anyway. You will spend a lot more while you own it. But I think you know that.

There are quite frequent threads on here asking about values, buying or selling. Very few times do we see a follow up stating the transaction final price. If you buy it and manage to cough up the price you may set a precedent.

Bernie

'64 Riviera $2100

'60 Electra $900

'86 Electra $500

'94 Chev Impala $8,500

'03 BMW 760 $7,200

'39 Allis-Chalmers $1600

5 hours ago, 23hack said:

No cast iron exhaust manifold ? I've never seen that done on an auto engine !  

Nash started doing this prewar in the late 30's, they relied on the passages in the head to preheat the mixture instead of a cast manifold. Strange but it made it easy for me to make headers on my '40/'41 inline straight 8.

6 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

Jay Leno did a video on one he owns.

Called it a “ GOG “ ( good old gal ).

He liked the honesty.

Nash claimed to have 8000 welds on

the Ambassador.

Jim

I too have watched this video many times, I was taken by Nash styling and have kept an eye open for on of these at a reasonable price but no luck yet. Looks like a great example, I think you would be popular at the car shows!

I like the car! We are not talking about a high dollar car, so who cares about a few dollars one way or the other. What is the owner asking, or are you just expecting to give him an offer. The owner is a collector so he knows what he wants for the car, if he even wants to sell it. If you really want to buy the car, and I think you should, let him tell you what he wants for the car. Unless you are willing to walk away, resist making a low-ball bid. It's very easy to alienate an owner, by showing a lack of respect for his car, or his right to determine it's value. 

• Like 1

This is a unibody. Have a good look at the front floorboards. Crawl under and look at that same area underneath. The frame "rail" (sheetmetal) runs right through there. When the seals leak, water drips right on it.

If you jack it up, do so only by the axles, no other way (unless you know exactly what you are doing).  The unibody structure is easy to damage.

Posted (edited)

They were quite the car in their day. Ambassador was top of the Nash lineup with long wheelbase, overhead valve six cylinder engine, full coil spring suspension on all 4 wheels and the best heating and ventilating system of the day. The coil spring suspension gave them the best shockproof ride of any car. They were way ahead of their time in unit construction and aerodynamic body work, something the rest of the industry didn't care about until the 1980s.

Best known for comfort and advanced design. A well made car.  I don't know of any special defects. But like all cars of that day they require a lot more regular maintenance than today's cars. But most of it is easy and cheap to do, like regular oil changes and grease jobs and annual tuneups. Best thing would be to get the factory owner's manual and repair manuals and go by them.

Here is Jay Leno's. He mentions that this car weighs only 3400 pounds, about 500 to 1000 pounds less than a 2019 Ford Taurus. But put the 2 cars side by side and see which has more room and comfort.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Jim, the Nash has a lot going for it. You don't see too many 2 door Ambassadors, and it looks like a solid car from the pictures. If you get a feel for it, and you can work it within your budget, buy it. I have seen nice ones go between $8 to $10 grand, and that is a great car for the money. I have a friend who owns a 1949 600, had it for many years, and just loves it. Can't go wrong. Good luck . John

These don't get any respect. It makes no sense to me. They are great cars. Mine was a 51 Statesman (600). I daily drove it in the 80s, mostly in the winter (no salt here). I thought It would just get stuck everywhere because of those enclosed fenders, and you did need to be a bit careful about that, but these cars go like crazy in the snow. The heater, as Rusty mentioned, is incredible.

It was a very reliable car. It always started easily in the bitter cold, but since it was 6 volts I could no longer give my friends (who couldn't be bothered to keep their battery terminals clean) jump starts anymore. After a while I started carrying a 12 volt battery in the trunk.....

I was the second owner of my Nash. I thought that was remarkable when I first got it, but as it turns out, one-owner Nashes were fairly common at that time. These cars tend to stay in the same family for decades. People who have owned one know how great they are, and it seems no one else does.

The only downside I can think of is that they don't have a very tight turning circle because of the encclosed fenders.

It drew comments everywhere, but not the "What is it?" I get with my Pontiac today. EVERYONE had a Nash story to tell, and some good memories to share. I predict you will have a lot of fun with this.

Oh yeah. The visor is cool. And keep the WWWs too. I am a blackwalls guy, but in this case, the white semicircles supporting the rounded car, get a pass with compliments. Get the car, Jim. You see more cars more often than most of us. If you find yourself falling in love with this particular one, go for it. You might even be able to get a good deal on both the Nash, and it's transportation, if needed.   -   Carl 

Posted (edited)

I like the visor. Whitewalls too! I tend to prefer blackwalls on prewar cars (with some exceptions), but this is 1950! It is also a top of the line Nash.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Looks like a great car that you can have loads of fun with.

I would keep the white walls and lose the visor.

I love the rear end look of the car.

I like it. One of the biggest automotive mistakes I ever made was basically giving away my 61 Ambassador to my brother who destroyed it in about 1976 or so. Ramblers and AMC are great. 

Thanks Xander, That Bonneville version was what I thought of first, tanks for saving me the Google search time. Is that the same model or the smaller version?  Bob 

Not sure, I just remember chili peppers on a Nash. So I went looking for it. I think the car looks cool painted like that. It's a Nash, have some fun.

I did not expect the many replies ....

Seems I am not the only one who thinks this Nash Ambassador Airflyte is The Bee's Knees .... 😁

Jim

• Like 1

Well Jim, we're waiting to hear the rest of the story.  Buy it?  or did you wait to long?

Now THAT is a neat training film. I'm sold already! (As an interesting side note, Chrysler already had done the wind tunnel work coming up to the development and introduction of the Airflow in 1934 :) )

I love it!  Visor and all.  If you passed on it, Jim,  I'd be tempted.