1937 Studebaker Dictator Window Regulator - dear Studebaker fans and friends I need some help from you

Cristian

Dear all, 

My name is Cristian and I have bought two years ago a 1937 Studebaker Dictator 2 door Coupe since I was in love at first sight with the car.  I found the car in UK (apparently it was imported during the 1980s) and bought it from the UK individual.  The car is in a pretty original state and over the years I am trying to find out more about the car. 

However, from the moment I bought the car I noticed that the window regulator on the left (driver) side door was not working properly  - I tried to work it out but could not make it properly work. 

As such, I have tried to find online a window regulator for sale that would fit the 1937 Dictator 2 door coupe but really could not found one. 

My question which I would like you to kindly answer is whether the window regulators on the 1937 Q bodies (Dictator 2 door coupe) are the same with any of the following:

- window regulators on the Dictator express  (although I did not find a window regulator for such model so far);

- windows regulators on the 4 door Dictator cars for the front windows?

- window regulators on the 2 door Dictator Sedan cars for the front window?

I found those parts:

http://mystudebaker.com/body/studebaker-window-regulators/

http://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/store/s/agora.cgi

and I trying to figure out if I am having any luck matching the window regulators from another model in the same year or from close years (1936 - 1938). 

Can any of you shade some light on the above issue?

Thank you for all your help,

Cristian

PS: I have also attached some pictures of the car and the body tag (37 AQ-5)

IMG_5101.JPG

IMG_5102.JPG

IMG_5106.JPG

URJB9801.JPG

Dear Spinneyhill, 

Thank you very much for your prompt and documented response - it is highly appreciated. 

I thought initially that it is 37AG-5 but looking closer I think it is a Q - I will check once more.  I don't really know if it was made in Canada as I bought it from UK 3 years ago and they did not have accurate past ownership information. 

You really made my day - thank you a million times. 

All the best,

Cristian

Edited by Cristian
hurry (see edit history)

Dear Spinneyhill, 

I just talked to Stephen Allens LLC representatives (http://www.mystudebaker.com) and they said the following:

- part # 266209 is for 1936-37 Left Front Window Regulator 2-door (5A-6A, 2C-3C);

- part # 265340 is for 1936-37 Left Front Window Regulator 4-door (3A-6A, 2C-3C, J5).

4-door & coupe Express use the same regulator, 2-door car is different.  The coupe door is longer than the 4-door. 

Do you have any experience in using the window regulator for the 4 doors on the 2 door coupe and it worked?

Thanks again a lot for all your help,

Cristian

Good. I didn't see the two door vs four door separation in the parts book. They are only a few lines apart too! Too hasty....

I was thinking later that the two door car doors would be longer with a heavier window. I have not done any work on a window regulator.

Is the serial number plate still on the chassis beside the left front wheel?

I agree it is AQ on the body number plate. I wasn't expecting the "A" though; the Q5 body was a "Regular" or "Deluxe" with the spare mounted in the rear or the seat compartment (behind the seat) and no rumble seat. So what is the "A"? I have seen a 1935 Sedan made in Canada, which had a different body code to the American ones. I asked about it in the Studebaker forum (down near the bottom of these fora).