Mark Gregory

No more Speeding in the EU for all new cars by 2022

Posted (edited)

No more speeding! EU orders that all new cars will be fitted with mandatory technology that will force you stick to EVERY speed limit from 2022

• New models sold in the EU will feature Intelligent Speed Assistance limiters
  • European Parliament, Council and Commission approved legislation for them
  • Vehicles will be slowed in accordance with speed limits using GPS and traffic sign recognition cameras
  • Models sold in the UK are likely to have the same technology after the Vehicle Certification Agency said it would mirror EU rules post-Brexit 

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)
  • Like 1

hoped  we were leaving EU and all their  legislative crap, apologies for political bias , lucky you guys left the fold otherwise Britain would pass on some silly rules 😁

Used car prices will be going up.

• Like 1

Big Brother on steroids.

But then again, they already have an overly invasive govt.

It is interesting to read that as a coworking and I were just talking about this the other day because in the last month on Highways around Toronto in a 100km/hr (60 mph)zones a 19 yr old got caught doing 246 km/hr (153 mph) and a 20 yr old got caught doing 254 km/hr (158 mph). Both were driving BMWs. License suspensions, fines, and car impoundment just don't seem to be enough of a deterrent for some.

Saying that I am not in favour of speed limiters.

What difference does it make?  Autonomous cars won't be breaking the law anyway.

Yet another reason why I only own cars that do NOT have a computer.

Those regulations will be short lived or, with a little awareness, never be implemented at all. Overall safety must be a balanced effort.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/traffic-revenue-1.24081944

Many other areas of society are dependent on files, surcharges, and other forms of penalties.

No regulations are created without a monetary penalty. There is a reason.

Bernie

Just think, you'll never be able to pass another car on the road again. 

I was going to sell my 1989 Camaro with V8 and 5-speed manual transmission, but maybe I'll wait a while. 

It's torches and pitch forks time. Now where the Hell is the tar and feathers?................Bob

• Like 1

NHTSA says 94% of all traffic fatalities caused by human error. NY Times says currently there are 3 non-residential parking spots for every car. There is a huge push for autonomous transportation and companies like GM are right at the helm! To listen to Mary Barra talk these days is down right disheartening. -All those truck and SUV profits are being used to drive the final nails into the coffin of the combustion engine/human piloted vehicle.  Ford has recently promised production of a driverless vehicle with no steering wheel or pedals for 2021. The only encouraging bit of news I read was from some folks at Stanford that pointed out our nation is deeply committed to the auto industry- to the tune of something like 4 billion jobs. Hopefully this will serve to thwart progress a little!

49 minutes ago, md murray said:

something like 4 billion jobs

US population is about 300 million, world pop about 7 billion, plus or minus a few...

• Like 1

Knew this was coming.  It will be here before we know it.  As for less income for police departments it will also mean less policemen needed.  It either have the cars automatically slow themselves or we will open our mailboxes to a couple dozen speeding tickets each week as we accidently creep over the limit and our cars record it.

LOL, SORRY. Just pulled it up- the figure Stanford had used was 4 million US jobs and $953 billion in economic activity. big numbers :D

I just love it, when is the coming to the US.

I live on a road with a  25 MPH speed limit and I believe I am the only driver that goes the speed limit.  There are two parks 500 feet apart and on opposite sides of the road with my house half way between the two.  One park has 5 little league ball fields and other family facilities for picnics and the other park has 4 or 5 soccer fields and a walking walkway round the perimeter.

I the summer time families are frequently crossing the road to walk between the two parks and at least half the car traffic is going 45 or 50 MPH.

Bring it on!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, md murray said:

NHTSA says 94% of all traffic fatalities caused by human error. NY Times says currently there are 3 non-residential parking spots for every car. There is a huge push for autonomous transportation and companies like GM are right at the helm! To listen to Mary Barra talk these days is down right disheartening. -All those truck and SUV profits are being used to drive the final nails into the coffin of the combustion engine/human piloted vehicle.  Ford has recently promised production of a driverless vehicle with no steering wheel or pedals for 2021. The only encouraging bit of news I read was from some folks at Stanford that pointed out our nation is deeply committed to the auto industry- to the tune of something like 4 billion jobs. Hopefully this will serve to thwart progress a little!

Didn't Boeing claim that autonomous aircraft were safer too? How'd that work out?

Seriously, despite recent events, the aerospace industry has a MUCH more rigorous process for software development, testing, and most importantly, configuration control AFTER testing than the auto industry ever will (Do you really want over the air software changes to the airplane you're flying in?) Despite that, mistakes are still made.  The risk of similar errors made to automotive software is sobering.

3 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Yet another reason why I only own cars that do NOT have a computer.

Hate to break it to you, Joe, but the Delta 88s in 1985 have computers!  OBD I.😁

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Admittedly it's been 19 years since I've been in the cockpit of a "state of the art" aircraft ( Daussault Falcon 50) but at the time we were well into the automated, gee whizz, age. It still required a fair amount of human pilot input telling it what to do but not necessarily HOW to do it. A few of the most oft heard remarks in the cockpit were:  "why is it doing that", or "now what's it doing", or my favorite "turn it off".

Lets hope the future driverless cars know how to "turn it off" when it counts the most

One of the cardinal rules of piloting an aircraft is , no matter what else is going wrong,  FTFA ( fly the f**king airplane ).

It's going to be interesting when someone needs to DTFC  and they have no steering wheel or pedals............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Frank DuVal said:

Hate to break it to you, Joe, but the Delta 88s in 1985 have computers!  OBD I.😁

Yeah, but that prehistoric ECU doesn't control the throttle, and to be honest, the car will still run (albeit poorly) if you pull the connector off the computer. Besides, those are my wife's cars. Mine are carbs and points.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Lets hope the future driverless cars know how to "turn it off" when it counts the most

Unfortunately, the FAA has already seen a decline in piloting skills due to over reliance on automation.  Keep in mind that commercial pilots are far better trained than the clown next to you in traffic.  Do you really think that the joker who is texting while the car is on autopilot will have either the skills or the situational awareness to save him/her self if the autonomy shuts down in an emergency situation?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

Unfortunately, the FAA has already seen a decline in piloting skills due to over reliance on automation

This has been a subject in aviation circles for quite awhile. I attended several conferences over 20 years ago addressing that issue. It's actually gotten worse since then. My understanding stall recovery isn't taught in modern SIM sessions, only approaches to stalls are. Not to worry, the computer will fly the airplane. Tell that to the Air France crew that full  stalled into the Atlantic from 35,000'. And so it goes.............Bob

I’ll bet good money they’ll never retrofit my 38 Studebaker.

dave s 

The only time I ever approached 90 mph while driving was about thirty years ago. I was one of the first three vehicles to come upon an accident scene involving a motorcyclist with head and neck injuries. Nobody had a cell phone. A quick conference, and I was elected to drive to the nearest pay phone, about two miles away. The motorcyclist was saved.

There are a thousand legitimate reasons, all sorts of accident avoidance issues, health and safety demands, and emergencies of all sorts, why one must exceed legal speed limits. But hey? Maybe that motorcyclist would rather have died in the two minutes I saved getting his medical attention.

Somewhere between the extremes, is intelligent reason. But I think we know that politics today has NOTHING to do with intelligent reason.

• Like 1