Brass is Best

Would you ever let a Valet park your car?

Interesting and entertaining thread.

I always show the repair shop mechanics the manual choke on one of my cars, and remind them, if the engine is cold, it's not starting if the choke isn't pulled all of the way out.

Has anyone tried to take a crank-start car to valet parking?  Due to the risk of personal injury, of course you wouldn't want to have an untrained person try to crank the engine, but it might be interesting to see if the valet can figure things out.

Or watch them try to find the starter on an older Land Rover.

ps my 55 MGA came with a crank...

Key rings in the ignition tumbler weighing too much has been an issue since at least as far back as the 50s. Read it in Gus' Garage! The key is not in a door, trunk or glovebox lock long enough to wear the cylinder.

Any phone called a smart phone is smart enough to have a built in GPS and maps. No thousand dollar phones are needed. 😉 Do not even understand the concept. I only buy a phone when the old one breaks.👍

Old school paper maps are great, I can see more than two inches of a locality at a time, but they do not have real time traffic information. Hey, inner loop of the beltway has been all lanes closed since 2 PM today (3 hours so far) at American Legion bridge. Of course, this info is also available on that dashboard accessory called a radio. 😁

I am on my third Samsung Galaxy phone, this one is a S5 and at least four years obsolete/bought refurbished for a buck but does what I want it to. The Google Maps have saved me from some detours.

Have never understood giant keyrings, I have two sets for each car and just grab the one I need. House and POBox key are on their own keyring pair.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:49 PM, CHuDWah said:

NEVER put your car keys and house keys on the same ring.  Not only could a would-be-thief/valet rob your house while you're at dinner, he also could copy the key for later home invasion/burglary use.  I have a ring with only what's required to operate the car - key and/or remote fob.  I'm also concerned about leaving the garage opener remote in the car as the code can be cloned - harder to do on newer ones but still not impossible.  But carrying it around is inconvenient, and obviously impossible with HomeLink, so I keep the garage-to-house door locked.  Not setting the GPS to your home address is good advice.

Needlessly fearful?  Maybe, but I call it needfully cautious.

Very good advice, it's not like it has not happened before. As far as the address on the GPS, most home address's are on the insurance and registration information in the glove box

5 minutes ago, John348 said:

Very good advice, it's not like it has not happened before. As far as the address on the GPS, most home address's are on the insurance and registration information in the glove box

That is why you lock the glove box door with a regular key and let the valet use the 'valet' key.

Just now, zepher said:

That is why you lock the glove box door with a regular key and let the valet use the 'valet' key.

My Cadillac does not have any keys, many new cars are keyless

6 minutes ago, John348 said:

My Cadillac does not have any keys, many new cars are keyless

Your fob still has a key.

You have to push a little latch to release it but it's hidden in the fob.

cadillac_2018_18_cadillac_escalade_proxi

Thanks,

Learn something new every day..... MY 2018 GMC, and that has a keyed ignition and a common lock for the glove box so there is not much that can be done in that case 

Ok so this leads to another question: how does the valet start or move your vehicle without the key fob? To be honest I am really not that worried about my home address.  

Growing up in Da' Bronx I learned a long time ago if someone wants it bad enough they will take it, and there is nothing you are going to do about it. Secondly a majority of people who go to work are not burglars. My problem is with valets is damage to the vehicle, that they deny

In that case you would lock the glove box, or center console storage area, remove the key from the fob and give the fob to the valet.

Even on cars with no obvious door key cylinder there is a cover you can pop off revealing a key cylinder to allow access to the car should the car battery fail or your key fob battery fails.

The hospital that has done all my surgeries has valet parking  Unless you want to walk a half mile it is the only real choice Even the handicap spots are always full I have never taken an old car to surgery but have never had a problem there The attendants have always been mature individuals looking like 30’s or older so maybe that makes difference 

Took my  63 Avanti to dinner in day light   valet  delivered to front door after dark after running wipers over dry windshield but not getting headlights on.   You Avanti drivers know why.