Brass is Best

Would you ever let a Valet park your car?

Never seen a valet yet who knew how to start my 40 Buick, let alone drive it to a parking space.  🤔

• Like 2

The last time I had a valet attempt to park my manual transmission 2002 BMW Z3 it was in exactly the same location when I picked it up as when I dropped it off.  

No one responsible for parking cars at the hotel new how to drive a manual transmission.

At least they were not dumb enough to try and drive it.

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I suppose it's one more thing to make us needlessly fearful.

As long as the topic mentions keys, does anyone know who Hotkeys1997 on Ancestry.com is? Whoever they are they are one of a whole bunch of possible cousins of mine whom won't put their real name on the thing. My Wife bought me one of those spit kits for Christmas but most of the matches are pseudonyms and I can't make heads nor tails out of who they are. Talk about your fear of being identified. Ancestry.com has to be the pinnacle.

If those dining places are local the GPS thing may not be necessary for the crooks. One night while we were at dinner with the '60 Buick the car must have been spotted and recognized. We never got into locking the house. (If friends or relatives stopped by and were locked out we'd feel bad). Anyway, we got home and there was a $5 bill on the kitchen table. Neither of us left it there. Later we figured someone saw the car in town, knew we were away, and came in to rob us. After looking around they just threw the fin on the table and left. Figured we needed it more than them.

I guess that's an example of needless fear.

Bernie

• Haha 1

Down here in Southern Florida it’s common to see a sign at the valet desks that reads..........

If you car is valued at more than $500,000 dollars, please park it yourself.

Recently I took a customer car up to the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach........a “big boy toy” and pulled it up to the valet. They declined to park it, gave me a very nice spot in front of the hotel, but asked for the keys once it was parked. I gave them the normal tip, I did all the work, but they kept an eye on it while I was inside. Im not sure there is a valet anywhere that can drive a early car and get it in a spot without great difficulty.

A friend in LA drive Model A Fords  - one for everyone in their family (for really hot days they also have a Shay with A/C and and for a big trip they have a 1935 w/add on a/c) - they say perfect car for LA and say usually valets let them part right by the door. 

Not a lot to start my '60 Electra, but they are pretty amazed when I show them the voice control start feature.

9 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Not a lot to start my '60 Electra, but they are pretty amazed when I show them the voice control start feature.

i-see-what-5c39e1.jpg

• Like 2

I had a Honda S2000 6 speed. We went to a Christmas party at a realtors once. He invites everyone he sold a house to that year. So he had the local high school kids parking cars. No cost but all tips were going towards the band trip, so i felt obliged to use them. The first kid got in and the look on his face was priceless, he quickly got out and said he couldn’t reach the pedals!  He gave the keys to another kid, again the look of dread. He got out and as the third kid started to get in he saw it was a stick, he turned to another band member and said “It’s a stick”. The girl he said it to took the keys jumped in and took off to park the car.  When we came out to leave, she saw me and said she would go get the car. She brought it around and as she got out said “What a sweet ride, I’ve got to get one of these someday” !  I’ll never forget the guys looking at her in total disbelief. 

Dave S 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

I had a Honda S2000 6 speed. We went to a Christmas party at a realtors once. He invites everyone he sold a house to that year. So he had the local high school kids parking cars. No cost but all tips were going towards the band trip, so i felt obliged to use them. The first kid got in and the look on his face was priceless, he quickly got out and said he couldn’t reach the pedals!  He gave the keys to another kid, again the look of dread. He got out and as the third kid started to get in he saw it was a stick, he turned to another band member and said “It’s a stick”. The girl he said it to took the keys jumped in and took off to park the car.  When we came out to leave, she saw me and said she would go get the car. She brought it around and as she got out said “What a sweet ride, I’ve got to get one of these someday” !  I’ll never forget the guys looking at her in total disbelief. 

Dave S 

This reminds me of the young 25 year old lady I just sold the 2009 Sonata 5 Speed to last month. Her Dad came with her to look at it and he drove it first. She was next and I was ready for some jerky shifting. She was very smooth and much better than my wife who had been driving stick for 30 years. 

I always eye a good spot when pulling in, visible but out of harm's way, and offer the suggestion, "How about I just park it over there?"  And it works ever time.  

If they ask for the keys, I tell them, "If you can start it and work the transmission...  You do know how to start it, don't you?"  And that ends the request.

The quirks of a Buick with Dynaflow and the old starter in the gas pedal are handy deterrents.

• Thanks 1

For me it is simple, if the car I am driving has a fobic (remote key entry or RKE) I flip it to the valet. If not (older cars) park it myself.

Took a friend to the Breakers last year (she wanted to see it). Lunch was near a double Benjamin. I prefer the Colony.

I have never been anyplace so fancy as to have valet parking.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2019 at 1:36 PM, John348 said:

Same here, I have had more damage done on my new cars that get serviced at the Cadillac Dealership then anywhere else, of course they deny it every time

Recently had to drop off my new pcup @ the dealer for a service adjustment and they were providing a loaner.  The Service Writer walked around their new truck to show me no damage.  Un huh, and let's walk around MY truck and I'll show you that it has no damage. 

Fortunately, the mechanic was a very good friend of my son and he took good care of the truck.  Even diagnosed that it needed a new battery @ 2 1/2 yrs old and 35k miles.  Good deal.  

Posted (edited)

Christmas party @ a swanky club back in late 1980s.  A pretty teal 66 Toro was my daily driver at the time. 

The club was renowned for double parking in the street but got away with it because all the judges, politicians and big wigs in town were members. 

Pulled up in Toro and the valet suggested leaving it 'right there' double parked in front of the entrance.  I had to give up the keys (2nd set was in my pocket) but was able to peek out the window all night and keep an eye on it. 

toro front.JPG

Edited by CarFreak (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

I do not understand having "Home" on a GPS. You forgot where you live????????😁

For heavy nights of drinking?🤣

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

59 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

I do not understand having "Home" on a GPS. You forgot where you live????????😁

For heavy nights of drinking?🤣

If I'm somewhere I needed GPS to get to, I probly need it to get home, too. I'm terrible at directions. GPS is the best thing to happen to me in driving.

• Like 1

I let an enthusiatic kid park our 35' Auburn but I went with him to help with starting.    We drove around the resturant a couple times and it might have made an old car nut out of him.    

We let them park our modern cars if we are at a hotel.   I don't think twice about it.   I used to do rear axle abuse tests in new pickup trucks and the novelty of beating the tar out of something doesn't last very long.  Those guys could care less about trying to tear up your car.  

On 3/25/2019 at 3:16 PM, Matt Harwood said:

And, of course, if you use a valet there's always the sage advice to never set your car's GPS to "HOME" using your actual home address, just something near enough that you can get home from there. The idea being that the valet has your keys, possibly with your house keys on the ring, as well as your car. Your car's navigation system will give him step-by-step directions directly to your front door to which, of course, he has the keys. Plus he knows you're not home--you're at dinner and you'll probably be there for two hours or so.

Does this actually happen? I don't know. I doubt it. But in this world of people being scared of putting their bank account info on wire transfers and hiding their license plates in photographs, I suppose it's one more thing to make us needlessly fearful.

NEVER put your car keys and house keys on the same ring.  Not only could a would-be-thief/valet rob your house while you're at dinner, he also could copy the key for later home invasion/burglary use.  I have a ring with only what's required to operate the car - key and/or remote fob.  I'm also concerned about leaving the garage opener remote in the car as the code can be cloned - harder to do on newer ones but still not impossible.  But carrying it around is inconvenient, and obviously impossible with HomeLink, so I keep the garage-to-house door locked.  Not setting the GPS to your home address is good advice.

Needlessly fearful?  Maybe, but I call it needfully cautious.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 9:35 AM, JamesR said:

No. Even if I found them to be trustworthy, I think old cars - even as late as the fifties - are too unfamiliar to most folks.

I would probably pay to see a valet try to drive a Model T, though, with it's manual spark advance and no gas pedal. 😄

Or a Model A.  Drives like a conventional non-synchro 3-speed - assuming the valet can handle a manual shift and double clutching.  But watching them trying to figure out the starting procedure would be entertaining, "I turned the key but it won't start - must be a dead battery."  🤣

6 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

NEVER put your car keys and house keys on the same ring.  Not only could a would-be-thief/valet rob your house while you're at dinner, he also could copy the key for later home invasion/burglary use.  I have a ring with only what's required to operate the car - key and/or remote fob.  I'm also concerned about leaving the garage opener remote in the car as the code can be cloned - harder to do on newer ones but still not impossible.  But carrying it around is inconvenient, and obviously impossible with HomeLink, so I keep the garage-to-house door locked.  Not setting the GPS to your home address is good advice.

Needlessly fearful?  Maybe, but I call it needfully cautious.

I don't have anything on my car keys other than the fob because the extra weight on the keys can damage the car's lock cylinder over time.

So depending on what I drive, I have to sort through a bunch of sets of keys before I leave.

As for the Homelink, I do not program the Homelink buttons on my modern cars because they sit out in the driveway. More important cars sit in the garage, you know.

But I found that the Homelink buttons always have power to them no matter what.

So a thief could break into your car while you are away and open your garage door as long as the car has a hot battery.

Maybe I'm paranoid but the garage door to the house is always locked, day or night.

I don't use the in-car GPS because the maps on your smartphone are always more up to date and have real time traffic info as well.

And as long as your car radio has Apple Car Play or Android Auto if you plug in your smartphone the screen will be mirrored on your car's dash.

21 minutes ago, zepher said:

I don't have anything on my car keys other than the fob because the extra weight on the keys can damage the car's lock cylinder over time.

So depending on what I drive, I have to sort through a bunch of sets of keys before I leave.

As for the Homelink, I do not program the Homelink buttons on my modern cars because they sit out in the driveway. More important cars sit in the garage, you know.

But I found that the Homelink buttons always have power to them no matter what.

So a thief could break into your car while you are away and open your garage door as long as the car has a hot battery.

Maybe I'm paranoid but the garage door to the house is always locked, day or night.

I don't use the in-car GPS because the maps on your smartphone are always more up to date and have real time traffic info as well.

And as long as your car radio has Apple Car Play or Android Auto if you plug in your smartphone the screen will be mirrored on your car's dash.

I only use the key in the ignition and always use the remote to lock and unlock the doors.  But yeah, I suppose extra keys could damage the lock.  Wasn't there a problem a while back with the weight of extra stuff on the key ring turning off the ignition in GM cars while they were in motion?  I do have small plastic ID tags on keys that aren't obvious and I have a key rack in the kitchen by the door to the garage.  I'm pretty OCD/tyrannical about people returning keys to the rack so it's easy to grab the necessary ones on the way out.

I don't have GPS or smartphone - just look it up on computer before I leave or use ol' skool paper maps.  😉

38 minutes ago, CHuDWah said:

I only use the key in the ignition and always use the remote to lock and unlock the doors.  But yeah, I suppose extra keys could damage the lock.  Wasn't there a problem a while back with the weight of extra stuff on the key ring turning off the ignition in GM cars while they were in motion?  I do have small plastic ID tags on keys that aren't obvious and I have a key rack in the kitchen by the door to the garage.  I'm pretty OCD/tyrannical about people returning keys to the rack so it's easy to grab the necessary ones on the way out.

I don't have GPS or smartphone - just look it up on computer before I leave or use ol' skool paper maps.  😉

I do have a smartphone but I'm not one of these people that spend almost a grand on a phone.

And every one of my dailies has a road atlas in the trunk.  :)

But they don't make the variety of Thomas Guides like they used to.

• Like 1