30 Pontiac upholstery nailing strip

SDLARS

With Lebaron-Bontey in chapter 7, does someone know of a supplier for these strips in my photo? I went to their site yesterday and found they had filed bankruptcy the day before. The strips my upholsterer uses have large teeth that I'm afraid will be difficult to install and I can even see them splitting the wood. My searches have only found those same nailing strips. Any suggestions? 

20190324_131153.jpg

They are the strips that clamp over the edges of the door panels. The nails in the strips are driven into the wood and hold the panels in place. 

The bankruptcy was a surprise. I didn't have them as a favorite so when I entered their name the news came up. There are articles from Hemmings and local news outlets.

I suspect that your Pontiac will not see a very rough life so you might be able to attach the door panels the same way that Fisher made and installed the "over door weather strip assembly" as described on pages 90 and 91 in the Fisher Body Service Manual.  To simplify you could use a narrow strip of the fiberboard (so you would have two thicknesses) along the edge and use brads about an inch apart  with the material pricked over the heads.  That is what I would do unless you wanted to splurge and have a local sheet metal shop make up the strips and braze the nails to it.

A quick google search for door panel nails gave these results +++.

https://www.albrightssupply.com/Trim-Panel-Repair-Tab-Nail-p/av12671.htm

Chevrolet Replacement Door Panel Nails.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_thunderbird/ford-thunderbird-door-panel-nail-strip-short-right-late-1962-to-1963-all-body-styles.html

These short were originally used when the long strips broke when removed.  Any of these would work   The Ford one would have to be pushed through the fiber board so might mean extra work.  If I were using the one nail ones I would make sure to clamp them really solid to the fiberboard, and mark where they are so you would only hammer there.

download.jpg

AV12671-2T.jpg

64-34882.jpg

You are making good progress.  Your car will be read to drive soon.  So we may have a 2020 event out here in CA.  We can take a family photo with your car, Tininidian's, my car and I think one more.  When when the last time there been 4 -  30 Custom Sedans within touching distance? 

I'll have to post a more recent photo. Very soon, all that should be left on the exterior will be the pinstriping. Running board covering is on its way and then it's interior time. The upholsterer has all the interior pieces. Still could use a bumper plate. My chrome plater didn't send them with the rest of the job, since has gone out of business and now I don't know if I'll get them back at all. Frustrating. 

Definitely would be fun to get them all together. Haven't been to your part of CA for many years.

On the individual clips with nails, cut a notch in edge of fiberboard so they align evenly with edge.

Using a solid metal plate to back it up on non-nail side, use a hammer and Phillips screwdriver to install clip with two good "stars", one on each side of nail.

Mark where nails hit wood and pre-drill holes, using smaller drill bit than nails.

I prefer using brads on fabrics, rather than nail strips.  If nail starts going in sideways it's a mess.  Obviously brads don't work on leather or vinyl panels.