JamesR

What was the coolest/oddest antique or artifact you ever found in an old car?

Posted (edited)

Non-automotive related or automotive related, it doesn't matter. It could be in an old unrestored car you just bought...or in a junked car in a barn or field that you were looking through (we've all done that.)

I mentioned on another thread that my '61 Mercury had some old beer cans under the front seat. They were old, and some of the breweries weren't in business anymore, I think (unfortunately I tossed them all, which I regret.) I thought it was funny, because the original owner family told me that the Grandpa only used the car to go to church or to go on vacations. I actually think Grandpa dropped Grandma off at church, then headed for the liquor store. ūüėĄ And, who knows, maybe Vegas was a regular vacation spot.

Interested in hearing your stories.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

a 20 dollar gold piece from 1879................ cant tell you how excited I was!

not really......

I had a bunch of old (empty of course) beer cans in my 57 DeSoto. The rear speaker had fallen out and the beer cans would roll around the deck until they fell into the trunk. Empty it out once a month or so wheather it needed it or not. 

Dave S 

Infoubd a 1955 Nudie girl calendar in the trunk of a 1948 Olds I parted out.  Cannot post the picture unfortunately.  This is a family site

Matt

St. Christopher medal, assorted Italian coins, Italian insurance papers, Italian mouse excrement in my '67 Fiat Giardiniera.

Not found in a car, but when I was 5 years old I found one of those leather key cases that hold a key or two in a junkpile near our house.  Embossed with "Gardner Oldsmobile " - a local dealer.  Fast forward 45 years and my 35 Dodge (also my first antique auto) was ready for the road.  Was looking for an appropriate key chain for it and remembered I still had that one.  Put the key in it and enjoyed finally using it.  Lost it within a week!  grrrrrr

Jim

• Sad 1

A small cardboard tag printed " Atkinson Spring Company, Hamburg NY" plus it listed ( typed in ) the size of the seat cushion. This was in a Derham bodied 1931 Franklin Airman victoria brougham that Enos Derham later identified for me as the car he built for the 1930/1931 ( end of year) Chicago and New York custom body Salons. I found it when I was restoring the car 40 years ago tucked into one of the bottom front seat spring cushions.  That car is now owned by a good friend in Pa. and was at the 2018 AACA Elegance at Hershey event.

When I am out driving around in a classic/collector car, I have found my sanity.;) 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I found a 1948 Quarter under the carpet of a 1948 Chevrolet once. Another time I found a 1928 penny in a Model A Ford. But the best was under the seat of a 1929 Packard I found an entire tool kit.

• Like 2

I found a Breitling watch that I was able to turn into $650.

• Like 2

I pulled original carpet and seats out of a 1950 Buick to repair the front floors. Stuck in the black tar/sealer that seals the seams on the drivers side rear wheel well. Was a flyer stuck in the sealer. It showed the three people running for president in the local/factory union? Not sure if it was just for the assembly plant? or factory? All three look like no one you would want to make mad. Not a smile on any face, just a very serious look.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dragged a 72 Chevy pickup cab home a few years ago. Took out the seat and found a rattle snake skin under it.

• Like 2

3 vials of cocaine in one of my Corvettes.

3 hand guns in a '65 Chevrolet wagon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GregLaR said:

Whoa! I hate to say this, Greg, but there's a disturbing pattern developing there! ūüėĄ

Actually, I'd love to find an old Luger P 08 in a Mercedes or maybe a Webley revolver in a Jaguar sedan.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

A bag full of 1940's condoms in the trunk of a '47 Buick Roadmaster.  There still there in this HPOF car.  Love preserving history.

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)
  • Like 1

So who was chasing who?:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When t I got my 1930 Buick touring I started removing the interior and found leather loops originally designed to hold glass bottles of shine.  No moonshine but the engine did have a split manifold an dual carbs.

• Like 1

Did you buy them from the same person?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had to go digging for it. I bought a 1955 Desoto, and this was in the glove box. A Car Craft book/magazine  from January 1955. It has part 3, on a desoto hemi build in it. Guessing that is why the desoto owner bought it. Any one know  the staff members listed inside. It also has the best of the best from the 1954 International motor review. 

Scan0008.jpg

Scan0009.jpg

Scan0010.jpg

Scan0011.jpg

Scan0012.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

^^^^^^ The Porters Muffler Shop pickup is restored and in the NHRA Museum in Pomona. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I bought a 1970 Caddy convertible in 1996 and after several months looked under the carpeting in the trunk and found an old envelope full of coupons. While looking through the coupons I noticed some green paper which turned out to be a hundred dollar bill and two twenties. All of the bills were from the early '70s so they had obviously been in there for a while.... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

A Car Craft book/magazine  from January 1955. Any one know  the staff members listed inside.  

Robert Petersen - Publisher and Founder of the Petersen Museum in California.

Wally Parks - Founder of the NHRA

The Others - ???

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JamesR said:

Whoa! I hate to say this, Greg, but there's a disturbing pattern developing there! ūüėĄ

Yes, they all come in 3's. I¬†suppose if I'd had both cars at the same time I could have done all the coke, then hit a liquor store with one of the guns and ended up doing 3 years for armed robbery.ūüėČ

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Found a road tar encrusted 1919 York. PA Bicycle License tag  (really a wide aluminum strap like a zip tie) holding the wires for added turn signals on a Model A we restored. Surprised to learn that bikes needed licenses back then.

• Like 1