Sign in to follow this  
auburnseeker

Deal of the Day. Someone Buy this before I do 47 Pontiac 2 dr 6G

The seller backed out of the deal with me and just disappeared. Obviously sold elsewhere. Did just not respond anymore. This behavior is for me just not understandable. For international buyers that cannot drive up, hand over the money and get the car it is not easy. I guess I need to learn my lesson and buy cars only at my end of the world.

Well that's a shame Hans... seems the seller is lacking in the integrity department if you had a deal and he disappeared on you. Its happened to me, twice last year. Hopefully you'll find something even better!

Very sorry to see this, Hans. Yeah, you can find people like that who take advantage of, and disappoint others. We have an insulting word for those types here. I think it would be regarded as obscene on the forum,  but it starts with the letter "a", and ends with "e". At one point between these letters is a double "s". I think I will be allowed to say that. But please accept  my apology for what one of my fellow countrymen did. You know most of us here are not like that a$$...e.         Better luck next time,     -   Carl 

4 hours ago, Hans1965 said:

The seller backed out of the deal with me and just disappeared. Obviously sold elsewhere. Did just not respond anymore. This behavior is for me just not understandable. For international buyers that cannot drive up, hand over the money and get the car it is not easy. I guess I need to learn my lesson and buy cars only at my end of the world.

Maybe he was just leary of selling it internationally.  With stories you hear of the overseas scams it's understandable for someone not familiar with international buyers to get week knees.  I've sold cars overseas a couple of times with no problem.  I have seen and had some of the scams tried on me,  but they are usually very easy to see though.

Tis a shame.  Rest assured it wasn't me that bought it,  though I still wish I could have. 

• Like 1

to show the opposite side of the coin- sold a model A in December to a fellow in Germany. Was glad to sell it to him, but he didnt want to abide by my payment methods and didnt get payment to me in the time allotted.

Guess what? resold the car to someone who didnt play games. A dealer in IL. I sold it for a little less and didnt care.

If you want to buy a car, dont play games.

Too much caution and youre outta here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(my worst attribute in life- I am impatient-sometimes turns into my best attribute)

There is not really a risk selling to an international buyer to my understanding. You agree on the deal, the seller gets a deposit and the wire transfer comes in after 4 to 5 days. The buyer sends a pick up company and the car is gone. As clean and smooth as as it can be. No buyer showing up and re-negotiating after finding a scratch on the oil pan or even running away. The international buyer takes all the risk. 

To make it clear, i don't care about the car. I wish the new owner all the best with it. But at least one sentence to me that the seller changed his mind would reflect a minimum of decency and education. That's all that I thought would have been normal. But what is normal nowadays. 

I forget about it. 

Forgotten..... 

• Like 1

Another story. There was an ebay auction ending yesterday. The black 48 Buick Roadmaster convertible which was in fact a Super was sold for 22.800 USD. I had asked the seller a few days back for pictures of the undercarriage and really received a short video. Nice. But I decided based on that not to place a bid. Auction ended, car was sold in a no reserve auction with 5 bids from different people above 19500 USD. Next day I receive a message from the seller that he would sell to me for 19500 USD. 

What does that mean???? This is above my imagination. 

Means you can ask for the pictures you need again. Another phony auction with shill bids.    -   Carl 

• Like 1

Or the top bidders were just playing around but weren't really "ready" to buy the car, but the seller was really looking to sell the car.  Especially if it becomes part of an estate deal.  Heirs want it gone and the checks cut. 

I know nothing about this specific car or add but fake ads seem to be proliferating on Craigslist. That is, the "seller" has harvested pictures of a good-looking car elsewhere but does not really own it Tries to scam the buyer out of a deposit or down payment, but if that won't work, disappears. Usually it is a very attractive car at a very good price, and the ad copy admits to a few flaws to make it sound realistic. 

There is not really a risk selling to an international buyer to my understanding. You agree on the deal, the seller gets a deposit and the wire transfer comes in after 4 to 5 days.

Ive sold several cars overseas, never a problem. The buyer of my car insisted on a paypal deposit. I dont accept paypal. Once he won the bid, he thought he was going to dictate to me, how and when he would pay.

doesnt work that way, when youre dealing with me. Auction said he had 10 days to pay and he didnt.

I think the problem comes in that you hear and I have seen personally the,  I'll take the car at your asking price and give you extra for the shipper,  then you give the shipper there money the car leaves and the funds bounce.  That was easier though when checks were being used.  With wire transfers it's not an issue any more but people that don't deal with that normally don't know.  Once people hear of a bad deal,  they don't want to be taken like that person was so as usual they get a bit nervous when someone wants to buy the car site unseen.   It's one of those,  you need to put the shoe on the other foot to see it from their perspective,  especially if it's someone that's not part of an international car community like we are.  

Cash still rules as well.  So while someone is getting the funds into an account then corresponding to finalize the deal and someone shows up right then with the full asking price in cash,  it's easy to see why someone might go that route.  The car is loaded and gone in an hour,  the deal is done.  

Sucks when it happens,  but it is understandable.  I stick by my word,  though it's come back to bite me before.  I still do.  If a guy is coming to look at something and has set up a certain date,  he gets first shot,  regardless of whether someone else calls and can come sooner.    I make it well known though that there is another buyer and that's the price.  Usually helps facilitate the sale to the first guy,  but then again when I describe something I make sure the buyer knows exactly the condition has seen a ton of photos and finds no surprises when they get there.  My time is as valuable as theirs.  I don't want to waste either. 

I've probably discouraged more people from buying my cars then had them show up.  I feel them out with questions so I know what they are looking for and make sure the car is the right fit, especially with anyone coming any distance. 

I've probably discouraged more people from buying my cars then had them show up.  I feel them out with questions so I know what they are looking for and make sure the car is the right fit, especially with anyone coming any distance. 

x2

Posted (edited)

Like others I have asked questions about cars I'm looking at (before the internet and digital cameras/ phones). Does it have any rust in the floors or have they ever been patched?   Been told nope they are all original and perfect.  So what do you think is the first thing i'm going to look at when I go to look at the car?  You guessed it.  4 hour drive.  I walk up to the car,  drop to one knee,  look underneath and within 30 seconds get back in the truck and drive 4 hours back home.   Who would think I wouldn't look at the floors if that was one of my first questions when I called you? 

Thank god for internet and digital cameras.  It has saved me hours and days of going to look at junk,  that one photo told me the truth about. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

To say something positive, in December 2017 I bought my 52 Pontiac Catalina from a museum in Texas, Dicks Classic Car Garage, in the meantime closed due to the passing of the founder. The whole experience with the curator of the museum was just nice from a to z. We talked, I got my info, many photos and all about the deficiencies of the car and when it arrived three months later in Rotterdam, I connected the battery and the car started right up and ran super smooth. Well maintained and ready for the road. Incredible. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, C Carl said:

Very sorry to see this, Hans. Yeah, you can find people like that who take advantage of, and disappoint others. We have an insulting word for those types here. I think it would be regarded as obscene on the forum,  but it starts with the letter "a", and ends with "e". At one point between these letters is a double "s". I think I will be allowed to say that. But please accept  my apology for what one of my fellow countrymen did. You know most of us here are not like that a$$...e.         Better luck next time,     -   Carl 

Hi Carl, thanks for your very very nice comment. Really appreciate it. I know wonderful people in your country and really love it. I do not generalize from a few bad experiences, don't worry. In fact when I am going to retire in 10 years or so I might spend the winters in your country. That's one of my dreams.