Rear brake drums

Candi

I have a 1934 Buick 60 series. I am getting ready to do a brake job on the mechanical brakes and I can't seem to figure out how to get the rear brake drums off. Do I need to use a puller? Or is there some secret trick to it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure, does your 60 series Buick have a semi floating or a  full floating axle?  Your shop manual should be able to answer your question.  If you could tell me what type of  axle you have I could answer your question.

Yes, a puller is the easiest way to remove the rear drums if you have a tapered axle. 

However, the old school way is to jack up the opposite wheel, loosen the axle nut until it is flush with the end of the axle and place a block of wood against the nut/axle.  Then, hit the block with a small sledge hammer.  The axle will move away from the wheel still on the ground, but will not come off completely due to the nut still on the end of the axle.  Yes it is radical, but it does work.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Spinneyhill said:

Think of the bearings when you hit the end of the axle. They are taking the shock force. Hopefully you won't damage them!

Many cars had straight roller bearings on semi floating rear axles.  These would not be affected.  The force would go through the axle and the spacer block to the opposite axle and to the opposite wheel with no harm done.