39BuickEight

1939 tail light socket

Hello everyone.  While many parts on the ‘39’s are one year only, surely tail light sockets are not...are they?  Can anyone point me in a direction for new ones?  Mine are corroded and the wires are rough at best.  It seems to make sense to replace them with new ones.  

Thanks!

1941 Pontiac uses the same type bulb socket, bulb twists in the inner end, and the electrical part twists in the outer end. With mine, wires had deteriorated also, the little springs were good, using a soldering iron I melted the old contact, removed the old wire(the furrel/sleeve and springs don`t come out) slipped the new wire in place protruding past the end of the furrel/sleeve about an eight of an inch, flared the protruding end of the wire and re-solder. Are your springs good, not rusted and broken? If so, you can re-wire yours, it is rather simple.  Attached is a picture.

DSCN5418.JPG

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, 39BuickEight said:

Thanks.  I need to soak them in something to get it apart.  

On mine I found it easier to remove the bulb from its socket first, then I`ve always used a sacrificial small screw driver that I grind to a thin point to where I can get it wedged in between the electrical socket and the holder to slightly spread the slot where the little nubbies slip into, and it will twist and come right out. Also the electrical piece is made to fit in the holder one way only, so the brake and tail light elements don`t get cross wired. Good Luck..

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Billy, after reading your story this morning, fixing this little light socket is nothing compared to what you`ve been thru the past ten years. Great job on everything.

Billy: If you can't save your tail light sockets  I should have a couple of extra used ones in decent shape. Soak the whole assembly in Evaporust, the stuff performs miracles. FYI, and it's probably too late , but I have a new RI Wire rear harness for your car - $250 + shipping. Keep plugging, at my last estimate there are only about a million details to deal with while restoring one of these regal old queens. Bob H

Thanks, I have the wiring harness all installed and laying in the trunk ready to connect to all of the lights.  

The biggest thing for me, is when I have a question like this, that seems relatively simple, is that the person who always knew what to do, my dad, is not here.  Every time I start to turn a screw, clean a part, or attach a clip, I expect him to be sitting behind me telling me how to do it his way (which was right 99.99% of the time).  These little bumps remind me of him.  Man I miss him.  I can hear him telling me to have patience and just move slowly and let things explain themselves.