When I was a young lad over  50 years ago I used to watch TV among my favorite shops were The Untouchables with Robert Stack, Star Trek,  My Mother the Car, the Munsters and the Adams Family. I was always  intrigued by the vintage autos that would show up in these shows. I wonder if anyone ever made a book about these cars and where they are now. I distinctly member a chase scene on the untouchables using of all things a Duesenberg J!

Most interesting topic! thank you for the post. I am sure that there is a generation of people reading this that were influenced by the shows, not so much for the story content but by the cars. Yes, the Untouchables were good for me too for the cars (RUNNING BOARDS!!!!)

What got me started to want to own an old car was a movie : "Some like it Hot " with Jack Lemon and Tony Curtis. the Lincoln based hearse at the beginning of the movie, I thought was just so cool as a 9-10 year old kid, it made a big impression on me to see a car like that on the big screen ,at the local movie theater. Within a week I talked my parents into driving 70 miles east to let me visit the Long Island Automotive Museum and see the cars there. I got a ride in a 1920s fire truck that was driven by the owner of the museum Henry Austin Clark Jr.   , less then a decade later he called me to ask about a period photo he heard I had, I visited him at his house which was about 15 miles north of us, and from then on we became lifelong friends.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Untouchables and the old gangster movies left an indelible mark on me,too. I always wanted,and finally found one of those big sedans, a '29 McLaughlin-Buick Master club sedan.

We owe a lot to George Barris for creating the Munstermobile.Batmobile,and many others.

1929McLaughlin Buick photo day 2016 004.JPG

8 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

The Untouchables and the old gangster movies left an indelible mark on me,too. I always wanted,and finally found one of those big sedans, a '29 McLaughlin-Buick Master club sedan.

We owe a lot to George Barris for creating the Munstermobile.Batmobile,and many others.

1929McLaughlin Buick photo day 2016 004.JPG

I beg to differ on that point he destroyed more presentable cars than a natural disaster.they were caricatures.his brother had the talent

• Like 2

I was pretty excited to see a 1939 Buick Special 4 door sedan (since I have one) with Captain America riding in it in The First Avenger.   That was the 2nd time I had seen a vehicle of mine unexpectedly on the screen.  The other was a 1988 S-10 Blazer shown parked in the street on a Seinfeld episode.  It’s cool when you aren’t expecting it.

Michael,

About a year ago there was a Willys-Knight listed for sale here in SoCal that was used regularly in the TV show the Untouchables. It was in nice, but not running condition. I seriously considered buying it but I could not get enough info on the sleeve engine to get comfortable with it.

I posted several pictures of the car here.

Greg

The reason the Twilight Zone episode Mr. Bevis is a favorite of mine is because it features a Rickenbacker as the main character's car.

Fortunately for me, my family has had prewar cars longer than they've had me so it was inevitable that I would get the old car bug.