Pete Phillips

LeBaron-Bonney bankruptcy

I worked down the street from Northwest Auto - they are a small, old time parts store and can certainly touch the stock before their coffee stops steaming.  Had good luck with them.

I had ordered a top boot for my 49 Buick, as LB was the only maker of the correct on out of same material as top, tan stayfast .after not receiving it after 6 months,they said they didn’t have the material but only after contacting them several times. I finally canceled the order, and still don’t have a top boot. That was about a year ago. I wish ARO 2000 made one a good source for tops. Gary ps I seen the same thing happened in tool and die shops , the owner dies or retire and someone else takes over, and not in business long after that.

On 3/25/2019 at 2:27 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Use care with SMS. They often have the right fabrics, and they do nice work on the door panels and the fabric they have made, but they have far more samples of fabric than they have actual fabric available. If you order some they don't have in stock, they'll take your money (run your credit card) then sit and wait for enough additional people to order that fabric to justify running a bolt of it. That could be months or even years if it's something unusual. If you order, make sure it's in stock, although they seem to answer "yes" every time I ask, regardless of whether they actually do.

I have only had positive experiences with SMS.  I need fabric for front seat of a 57 (being painted now) and they used a factory sample to make me a batch.  I had it a few weeks later and it looks perfect.  They only required I pay first since they were making it special.

1 hour ago, lancemb said:

I have only had positive experiences with SMS

An acquaintance of mine in Turkey ordered seat covers, a padded dash and door panels for a 69 Impala four door sedan from SMS over two years ago. It took them most of that two years to get him the dash pad and door panels and he is still waiting on his seat covers. Every time he inquires about the status of his outstanding items, they keep telling him it will be 3 more weeks. It's been two years of 3 more weeks. I don't know if SMS farms out such jobs or if they have that big of a backlog of work.

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)

On 4/15/2019 at 8:54 PM, NC68Riviera said:

An acquaintance of mine in Turkey ordered seat covers, a padded dash and door panels for a 69 Impala four door sedan from SMS over two years ago. It took them most of that two years to get him the dash pad and door panels and he is still waiting on his seat covers. Every time he inquires about the status of his outstanding items, they keep telling him it will be 3 more weeks. It's been two years of 3 more weeks. I don't know if SMS farms out such jobs or if they have that big of a backlog of work.

I have only ordered materials from them.  Seems like those that have had issues were waiting on things premade.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 3:35 PM, SpecialEducation said:

Crap.  I hope SMS doesn't buy their assets...😭

Apparently SMS just did buy the assets. I guess the material will be available but not sure if they will provide interiors.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 7:04 PM, lancemb said:

I have only had positive experiences with SMS. 

I’m glad someone has. 

I get long wait times. With the large variety of colors & materials used over the years, I understand not stocking many materials. 

What I don’t appreciate is being treated like a jerk because the material they sent wasn’t even close to the samples, the quality was awful, and the replacement material was just as bad, if not worse. My upholstery shop had to borrow my phone because SMS quit answering his calls. 

I’ll do every car for the rest of my life with the wrong material before SMS sees a dime from me. 

F1BFF0CB-FDC0-4347-81EC-682A686E4D56.thumb.jpeg.c8cf35792b2e061ffa2abf10d8319b3d.jpeg

On 11/16/2019 at 10:39 AM, Cabnut said:

Apparently SMS just did buy the assets. I guess the material will be available but not sure if they will provide interiors.

Cabnut

How did you learn of this?

I went to their web site, nothing shows of this yet. 

While I too had heard a rumor that SMS had bought them a few months ago, I don't think that SMS or anybody else has bought the assets of LeBaron Bonney quite yet. I am in contact with the guy who currently has possession of the storage containers contain those assets and who had been trying to sell them. This was his email reply to me this morning. "I received word this morning from our lawyers that the LeBaron Bonney assets are currently tied up in litigation and are still technically in the bankruptcy attorneys hands. We won’t know until the second week of December regarding ownership of the assets."  

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)

Hello I hope someone would continue on with the upholstery kits , but people don’t seem to be restorations of pre war cars like 20 years ago.LB were the only ones to offer the correct top boot for a 49 Buick,I had ordered one but never got it,fortunately I did get the money back.

there was a petition filed in the State of Mass. Bankruptcy court... google it..

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 1:28 PM, SpecialEducation said:

F1BFF0CB-FDC0-4347-81EC-682A686E4D56.thumb.jpeg.c8cf35792b2e061ffa2abf10d8319b3d.jpeg

Those are authentic holes in the headliner 

On 11/17/2019 at 7:51 PM, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

Cabnut

How did you learn of this?

I went to their web site, nothing shows of this yet. 

It's all discussed on the VCCA chat site.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:10 AM, gdmn852 said:

Hello I hope someone would continue on with the upholstery kits , but people don’t seem to be restorations of pre war cars like 20 years ago.LB were the only ones to offer the correct top boot for a 49 Buick,I had ordered one but never got it,fortunately I did get the money back.

I know.  It is tough not to understand how and why they went out of business but what a service it is for a company to provide kits that normal guys can install vs. trying to find an upholsterer. 

Most upholstery places aren’t familiar with installation of the older tops that have the tack strips that have to be nailed on unfortunately most of the people that had the older skills are gone,can’t stop the passage of time,few younger people are interested older pre war or even early post war cars , or history in general,I am making my opinion this on what I see at car shows .So LB probably had a small market for their kits . I think my 49 has on of their kits installed.

996A970A-2058-4F44-BB94-4C1C262BAD79.jpeg

I love hearing people say there's declining interest in early cars, it's your viewpoint, but you're wrong.

I talked today to a supplier of a specific service for pre-WWII cars, and he said he's having trouble keeping up wth demand.

Again, just because one doesn't want a certain thing, that doesn't mean that there aren't a ton of people out there who DO want it.

One needs to look at the big picture.  Unfortunately, a lot of people look at the big picture in a very small frame.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

I love hearing people say there's declining interest in early cars, it's your viewpoint, but you're wrong.

I talked today to a supplier of a specific service for pre-WWII cars, and he said he's having trouble keeping up wth demand.

Again, just because one doesn't want a certain thing, that doesn't mean that there aren't a ton of people out there who DO want it.

One needs to look at the big picture.  Unfortunately, a lot of people look at the big picture in a very small frame.

As my wife says.. "The view is larger in the windshield than the one in the rear view mirror."

I'm with trimacar on this one.

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300) (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, trimacar said:

The picture is a shrinking number of people being serviced by an even smaller number of trades/crafts people, which means less services and parts at ever inflated cost available to the shrinking number of collectors because of the cost. Couple that with a shrinking supply of collection worthy cars and the smaller number of people even interested in cars and you have the perfect mathematical model of a business undergoing atrophy.

There still exists a maker of buggy whips named Westfield Whip Co. located in Westfield, MA. Reportedly they are busy and I'm guessing experianced whip makers are hard to find.

Citing them as an indicator of a healthy industry flies in the face of reality.

That's the big picture.................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hello again, I did not mean to turn this post into a debate of the the car hobby.only posting my observations, fortunately for Model A and some early V 8 owners there still is some sources of interior kits for them .