DFeeney

1906 Locomobile Drive chain information needed

Hello, Can anyone tell me what size  drive chain was used on the Locomobile Vanderbuilt  racers such as  Locomobile Old 16 which is in the Henry Ford museum .  Also would you know the number of teeth on the drive/driven sprockets,  Did they use a standard Locomobile  rear hub and would you have any information about  the hubs.  I am starting to build a Vanderbuilt era  racer using as many period parts as I can find.  Life is Good.   Don Feeney in Ohio  740-816-4284

I will be at the Henry Ford museum Sunday.  Maybe I can get a picture with a ruler. Can not guarantee, but will ask if that will help.  Let me know.

Hello Larry,  Thanks for your help.  I have never been to the Greenfield Village pre 31 old car  meet but plan to be there this year around the first of Sept.  I think they have Old 16 outside and running.  Perhaps they would let me make some measurements.  I haven't quite figured out yet how to construct the rear hubs but I am making progress.  thanks,  Don

Posted (edited)

I was at the Henry Ford Museum yesterday, I didn't see the old 16 there. They are rearranging everything in there and I spoke with one of the museum people and they are putting in a big race car exhibit. So hopefully it will be displayed with that. The guy said they have more stuff in storage than they have on display.

I have been to Old Car Festival the last two years and I haven't seen it out in the village either. I know a guy that works with the museum, a retired curator. and I will ask him about it.

I asked him about the steam cylinders (engines) off of the recently dismantled Suhwannee steamboat, he replied , yes, they are in storage, I told him I wanted them, he replied "I'll put you on the list" :)

-Ron

Edited by Locomobile (see edit history)