1937 Special Ignition Lock Problem

Jack Worstell

The ignition lock isn't working right.    The "tang"  doesn't retract as far as it should.   It retracts far enough that the inner steering

shaft will turn but we're concerned that. given  it isn't totally right that it will slip some more such that

it will accidently engage the inner shaft....locking steering. while driving...…...a disaster.

Has anyone encountered this situation before and if so....what caused this and how did you correct it ?

Jack Worstell      jlwmaster@aol.com

I  havnt had that problem, but there is a probable cause if the switch has ever been disassembled.

There is a little loose ring (just barely seen in this poor photo) on the end of the lock cylinder that "cams" the switch lever, into and out of the steering column . If the ring is missing, the lever will not pull out far enough.

Is this a new problem?

DSC_7884.JPG

Larry   there are two things in your photo we don't have

1   The  little "ball bearing"

2    The ring.     But we  do have the little short cylinder with the raised rim on one end

Funny....even so the ignition lock had been working OK previously'

We had taken the steering column out of the Buick so as to install electric power steering using a used unit out

of a 2005 Saturn Vue.   I'm fairly certain that during all of this we did not lose these two little parts.

Yes...I know...we are departing from originality …..but me and my two buddies who are working on the 

Buick are all 80+   old guys.  We need to make concessions that in years past we wouldn't have done.

Thanks again    Jack 

Jack:

The photo is Don's.

In the Shop Manual I believe there is a sectional view of the switch/lock system. I can appreciate the need for power steering as 2 years ago I tore my right rotator cuff in 3 places. After repair it is fine.  And now the left shoulder is not happy.

Larry  OK I see my mistake....and I have since exchanged several   emails and a phone call with Don.   He has been

extremely helpful.

My buddy has had one shoulder repaired  about two years ago...it didn't work out.   Now he also has trouble with the other shoulder

but since the previous repair on the first shoulder didn't work out he won't let a doctor

work on the second one.

Translation...he really needs power steering.

Jack