Fire truck hauler

SOLD:  1972 Seagrave  Ladder truck converted into a fire truck hauler.

Engine:  8V71 Detroit Diesel with dual exhaust.

Transmission:  Manual.

Mileage:  15,600 miles.

Brakes:  Air.

GVW:  38,000 lbs.

Deck:  22 feet long, 48" above the ground, with fold down ramps.

New Battery.

Air Conditioning

Price:  $27,500 OBO.

e-mail me at pathorpe@rochester.rr.com or call (585) 657-6358

IMG_1309.JPG

Edited by ex98thdrill
Lowered the price (see edit history)

First of it's pronounced Lie-muh because you don't go to the grocery store to buy a can of Lee-muh beans.

The truck is in East Bloomfield, NY and it is an AACA DPC award winner.

As for the CDL I couldn't tell you because there are many different interpretations of the law in several states.  It doesn't apply to my dad and I because we both have CDL's anyways, but from what I interpret the law is that as long as it's your own stuff, and you're not using the vehicle for business purposes there aren't any issues, but each state and every person you talk to has their own interpretations.  When we're travelling, we pull onto the scales, usually the guy at the scale house gives us the green light after his jaw drops and he waves us on.  They haven't even given us any crap for having red lights and siren on a fire truck hauler.

The only reason why we're selling it is because we picked up a bigger truck.  So now we're in the process of building a new hauler.  The new hauler weighs 68,000 lbs.

Personally I like the looks of the Seagrave better, but the LTI we just got will be a better truck for travelling.

$60,000 might be a little steep, but you can't buy a truck with a diesel engine with under 15,000 miles on it for the price we're selling the truck for.  The other advantage is that the Seagrave has the older pre-emissions diesel engine in it that will run forever where a lot of the new diesel engines are junk (that's why UPS and FedEx went to gas engines).  Speaking of price, I was in Philly last month for the annual meeting, took advantage of going to the Auto Show and the pickup that I looked at that would do the job, was priced at $71,000.

The nice thing about the Seagrave is that it's old enough to put the historic plates and insurance on it so it doesn't cost you a bundle in plates.  I had a Gooseneck trailer that was costing me $169 a year for license plates, the Seagrave costs me $28. 

With the air brakes, that Seagrave stops better than any pickup / car trailer combination that we've ever had, and when we're going to a meet, that truck allows us to pull into a truck stop where the semis go versus having to threat the needle with a pickup truck and car trailer trying to get to the gasoline pumps.  To those of you who go to national meets, you'll all be able to attest that a lot of these gas stations are not car trailer friendly is you're running a truck with a gas engine.

Speaking of gas engines, that Seagrave gets as good as or sometimes better gas mileage than what our Chevy pickup used to get hauling the same truck.

If someone is serious about buying the truck, the price will drop in June after the Grand National.  If I can sell the truck now I'll sell it, but if it sells I'll need the money to hire someone to take the '41 Ford to Auburn for the Grand National and then bring it back.

If I don't sell the Seagrave, she'll be in Hershey to where someone can buy it there and take it home.

Below is our next fire truck hauler.

IMG_4179.JPG

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

All you firetruck guys are crazy...........and your hauler is fantastic. 😀  The new rig could be registered as a camper...........that would be interesting to drive by the scales as a RV! The rules vary from state to state, and to avoid hassles, I think I would want  a CDL for either rig. Be sure to post photos of your new project when you're done............fantastic rework of the Seagrave. Ed

I have a class B CDL with air brake and tow truck endorsement so I'm covered either way.  As for the project.

With the AGNM over now, we're not going to another meet until Hershey so we'll have the time and money to build the new truck.  With any luck we'll have it ready for Hershey.

IMG_4448.JPG

• Like 2

I love it when people push the limits of creativity in vehicles. That is one very cool project. Impressive and fun. Would love to see detailed photos of it when it’s finished. On the plus  side, when you come out of the store after grocery shopping, you will never have a hard time locating it in the parking lot! Thanks for sharing it with us. 

On 3/22/2019 at 5:52 AM, ex98thdrill said:

First of it's pronounced Lie-muh because you don't go to the grocery store to buy a can of Lee-muh beans...

And yet it's named after "Lee-muh" Peru.  😉

The Seagrave and the LTI are cool but that Ford is da bomb!  👍