Buicknutty

New Garage for my Buicks

Interesting build Keith. It would be the metal version of a pole barn.

Is it going to be insulated too?

With a metal roof I might be concerned about sweating if not heated.

Dad built a pole barn and the builder recommended putting on a plywood roof with shingles just to avoid that issue as he didn't plan on insulating and heating it. He also put a bathroom fan / vent in to circulate the air some and he never had moisture issues.

Looking good so far Keith!

We can get quite a bit of snow, for this area, 2-3 feet.

Doug, this is what is often called a pole barn, and it is insulated, r18 in the walls and roof, and I think something like r30 for the wall nearest the other garage, as it has to be a firewall.

Also, the floor is have about r18 in it as well, then 6+ in of concrete.

• Like 2

Curious what the snow load in the plans was figured on?  I think I specked mine for the next higher zone (overkill,  but I don't want to worry about it) It's either 85 or 90 lbs.  per square foot. 

The funny thing with plans is As long as they are stamped the next guys all sign off,  because it falls on the guy with the stamp,  who may not even be in business when the building falls down.  I know steel supports differently than wood and the factors are figured in as a system where many of us figure stuff on the individual components.   My trussess are 2 foot on center 6 on 12 pitch with 2 x 6 top and bottom plates.   Of course I have a 60 foot clear span with 2 foot overhang. 

As I said it's probably something to do with the perlin size as well that connects the trusses.  I imagine a steel truss might be stronger than a wood one,  as the wood ones of larger sizes have to be pieced along the top and bottom bands where the steel ones can be one piece.  I got a little soffit up on mine between yesterday and today but with the wife under the weather,  I have had alot of her duties shifted to me as well as caring for the kids, school etc.  Got on my lift today went up,  put one band board on the siding to finish it off (of course it had a bow to it). Got the first fastener in so the 16 foot board was hanging by that,  then out of nowhere the sky's opened up and got me drenched.   I worked through it to get it up.  Of course nothing like working under Niagara falls wit hteh eves running,  I called it quit and put the lift inside,  then it stopped and never rained again the rest of the evening. 

Figures.  There is a higher power working against me I think. 

Nice to see the quick progress on yours. 

• Haha 1

Here's a couple of shots from yesterday. Since I took them another load of gravel was put in, and smoothed out more. Today being the holiday, no work was done, but the conrete is due to be poured on Monday.

Keith

GarageThurs1.jpg

GarageThurs2.jpg

• Like 4