Olds flathead 6s

B442adams

I have a 28 coupe. My question is, what are the physical differences in olds flathead 6s from the 20s to the 40s era... if i decide to swap out my original motor to preserve it, will 215, 230, 238 etc be a direct bolt in or are there major differences between them? Thanks

What I have found is Olds used two different Babbitt compounds in their engines at least in 31-32. While original mains have held up well, the original rod bearings have been a different story. The rod bearings have just crumbled when pulling the caps off. Simply go through you motor and use it. My 32 cost less than $4k for a rebuild including custom pistons. Unless you already have another motor, finding an appropriate one to use would probably be hard.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, not sure of your engine but my 32’ is fully pressurized by gear pump and includes rifle drilled rods to pump oil to the wrist pins. That motor runs a steady 30 psi even when at temp. Compression ratio is at the 5 to 5.5 side in original configuration. After a modern rebuild one can expect a difference.