Fate of un court of stolen $7 million dollar '38 Talbot Lago

Concorso

This car was stolen from a Wiscojnsin's restorer's amateur shop, alog with all the paperwork. Later restored by Paul  Russell. Still later sold in Europe for $7 million. But then a US car fan recognized it and contacted the victim who tried to sue to get it back. There was supposed to be a court ruling in 2018 so I wonder if anyone knows what the result was. The Wisconsin man has died in the meantime but at least his relatives could have the car.

7 hours ago, ted sweet said:

if insurance paid its no longer his car

That is correct.  It they paid out the owner for it, they now own the car and make an attempt to acquire it.    It will be interesting should they want to proceed with it as a lot of paid hourly time and money will be consumed on their part in order to retrieve it.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/14/rare-1938-talbot-lago-heist-lawsuit/

The ruling...

https://www.wisbar.org/NewsPublications/InsideTrack/Pages/Article.aspx?Volume=10&Issue=13&ArticleID=26502

The car???

1938 Talbot Lago T150 C teardrop coupe (not sure if this is the actual car) another stolen in pieces and completely restored now car.

Talbot-Lago T150C-SS Teardrop Coupe (Figoni et Falaschi), 1938

It will be interesting if they get the car back, my guess is the insurance company that paid out on the car is the next lawsuit...

Edited by Graham Man (see edit history)

I don't see any mention of an insurance payout in any of the linked articles. That would certainly complicate things, but it would also bring the financial and legal might of an insurance company to bear on the suit (obviously they'd want the car if they paid a claim--it's a windfall for them as much as anyone else).

The complicated thing is going to be tracking it back to Europe and finding whomever received it circa 2001. The shop that performed the restoration should probably expect to be served and to cough up records, and if there are other owners in the chain subsequent to that, they, too, should expect to hire lawyers. Additionally, it seems that it was sold at auction at some point, so that auction company will likely have to intervene in some way. In short, eveyrone who has touched the car since 2001 is going to get sued. For something worth $7 million, they're going to be willing to buy a lot of lawyering to chase them all down in various countries. Whether Europeans are bound by US court decisions is something that remains to be seen and my guess would be that the plaintiffs in this case, who apparently have a legitimate claim to the car, are simply going to sue the current "owner" hard enough to force him to climb the tree himself and shake loose whomever had their hands on the car prior to him. There's some indication that he may have known of the car's cloudy history by virtue of registering it under an LLC, but then again, many large collectors have LLCs just for the purpose of owning their cars, so that alone isn't a real good barometer of his intent or knowledge. He did decline to return the car, forcing a court case, and perhaps he's hoping he can outlast them financially. I don't know. The first step is this next court ruling, which will determine how everyone else proceeds.

It's going to be ugly and the only ones guaranteed to come out ahead are the lawyers. It sounds like the current "owner" is rolling up his sleeves for a fight, and it will depend on how the review of the current judgement goes with the court. If they rule in the defendant's favor and the statue of limitations has expired, the plaintiffs might be SOL. If they uphold the current ruling, then it's going to get all kinds of interesting and a lot of people are going to get sued on two continents.

Kind of makes our reasonably-priced cars look more appealing, doesn't it?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mercer09 said:

so was it 7 mill or a few hundred thou?  good story...............

Roy Lieske  is the individual in Milwaukee the car was stolen from.  He had one son. and he was killed in a aircraft accident  about a year prior to the theft.  Roy had no wife, or other relation. when he died I understood that his home and a bunch of classic cars all went to the state. 

• Like 1

It is a sad day when anything ends up with the state...................

remember being at Hershey in the mid 70s and seeing one of these in the field on the Wendys side............... left a lasting impression on me. Never saw such a beautiful car in my life.

definitely a piece of sculpture!

Could be West ! My evidence is 'hearsay' not admissible.  I wonder what happened to the Pierce,Marmon,  L-29 & 810 Cords , the old air craft engines  etc. Not to mention the machine shop. There were just path ways going thru that place.