1928 Chrysler Business Coupe

Tech Mistress

The '28 models,

Series 52   4 cylinder, search google for engine capacity

Series 62   6 cylinder,  180ci

Series 72   6 cylinder,  search google for engine capacity

Series 80/Imperial  6 cylinder search google for engine capacity

I would imagine they were available in the various body shapes.

• Like 1

I’m not sure the term business coupe was used at that time.  In the 1930s, two door coupes with no back seat were referred to as business coupes as their was ample room for a traveling salesman to store his wares inside the car.  I believe your car would be a coupe without the word business in the title.

• Like 1

Your car has the slim radiator shell that was started as the 1929 Model. You will need to use the Fedco number on the dash, 1928 had one like in the photo. 1929 and early 30 had an oval one. The engine serial number stamped on the left side will start with a letter that will tell the Model also.

ID plate 2.JPG

Edited by 28 Chrysler (see edit history)

Its definitely not a '28. Others will know, the '29 models started productions in mid '28 there is always confusion with this.

Lovely car by the way.

If a '29 then, it could be, Series 65, series 75, series 80/Imperial. All 6 cylinder models, no 4 cylinder was offer unless one purchased a plymouth or dodge.

To be a business coupe your car should have a removable rear seat or no rear seat, as that is typical description for a business coupe. It should have more storage than a typical coupe.  Regardless, it is a very nice car from your pictures.  I’ve seen combos where the rear seat was removed and a more fuel stingy carburetor was fitted to appeal to a businessman.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

That chart is not for the engine number, rather the FEDCO number on the plate on the dashboard inside the car. Similar to the one '28 Chrysler' posted above.

Edit: the 'P' prefix in the engine number I believe represents a series 65.

Edited by maok (see edit history)

The book "70 years of Chrysler" by Dammann pg 149, says for mid-year 1928, Chrysler introduced the "Series 62 Business Coupe, a 2 place car with a rather large trunk space". 3,142 were built. The regular Series 62 Coupe came with a rumble seat.

• Like 1

The engine number is a Model 65. The 65 series was started in July of 1928 for the 1929 Model year.  If the car was first sold in late 1928 some states would have titled it as a 1928.  Yours is one of 4,,655  Bus. Coupes, figure about a 10% survival rate for a guess on how many remain.

Here is a photo of a Model 62 version with a 1930 bumper.

1136560-1928-chrysler-model-62-std-c.jpg

9 minutes ago, 28 Chrysler said:

The engine number is a Model 65. The 65 series was started in July of 1928 for the 1929 Model year.  If the car was first sold in late 1928 some states would have titled it as a 1928.  Yours is one of 4,,655  Bus. Coupes, figure about a 10% survival rate for a guess on how many remain.

Here is a photo of a Model 62 version with a 1930 bumper.

1136560-1928-chrysler-model-62-std-c.jpg

I believe the 1930 bumpers did not have the grooves. Looks like a 1929 bumper to me.

34 minutes ago, Tech Mistress said:

Where would you guys value the car?  I realize the bumper brings down the value, but I really am not too sure about it.

Does it run, drive and stop?  Close up pics of the interior, motor and paint are needed to help with that question.  Do you have a title for it? That info will help with value.

Restored 23 years ago, then drive twice a year for several years. Stored indoors.
Beautiful condition, no rust or dents.
- 6 Cylinder Engine
- Mileage says 65K, but engine was redone at time of restoration. Very tight.
- 98% Original - Bumpers are from a 1928 Ford, since none could be found for this car, light switch was replaced
- Mohair Upholstry

Runs well, no issues.

engine.JPG

interior-driver.JPG

interior-passenger.JPG

I'm sorry if I offend, here, but the white walls are showing their age. Maybe they could be brightened with some wonder chemical, but I think that black walls would have looked best all along. I only share that thought because I genuinely think that they effect the appearance and appeal and, thus, value.

A good washing and cleaning of surfaces always helps improve the first impressions of a vehicle for sale.  Look at Harwood Motors website, one of our members here on how to photograph a car to sell.  Since your car has been restored once, there is no need to preserve the dirt and dust that’s on it now to show originality.  If anything, dirt and dust shows neglect and that’s not what you want a buyer to feel when looking at it.  

I will repeat the need to indicate there is a clear path of ownership for a potential buyer as in you have a title to the vehicle or other legal means to sell it so the new buyer does not have to jump through hoops in order to get it registered in their name.

Best of luck with the sale. I’m in no position to give a value for it but wish you all the best in the sales process.

I'm not trying to market this as a showroom car. It's a beautiful car in good condition. Any collector who sees it will know to wash it. I don't really need to get the top most dollar, just what it's worth.

I just wanted a round figure. $10k?  $20k? $5k?  It's hard to find any comps online, and I'm just totally lost, since I've seen such a range or prices and a range of conditions for similar cars.

4 minutes ago, Tech Mistress said:

I'm not trying to market this as a showroom car. It's a beautiful car in good condition. Any collector who sees it will know to wash it. I don't really need to get the top most dollar, just what it's worth.

I just wanted a round figure. $10k?  $20k? $5k?  It's hard to find any comps online, and I'm just totally lost, since I've seen such a range or prices and a range of conditions for similar cars.

You still need to say if you have a title or other proof of transferable ownership.  That alone will affect price estimates and how many potential buyers you might have.  A local car wash has a sign that says “A clean car has class”, I was just suggesting a bit of clean up goes a long way.  You do not have to make it look “showroom”, just trying to give a little help.  Best wishes, Terry.

52 minutes ago, Tech Mistress said:

I guess that what we aren't saying here is that prices vary wildly and it's difficult to speculate. It really depends a lot on how appealing it looks, where you offer it (auction, classified ad, consigned with a known and well respected retailer, etc). Also, we all have our favorites niches in the hobby and our knowledge can be strong in one vintage or brand and weak in others. Others who are better qualified than me will weigh in shortly, I'm sure.

I was thinking of suggesting $12,500 as it sits now, not because I have a clue of what it really should sell for, but because my indicating what I think it should sell for will bring on a chorus of hoots and howls and eventually various indications of how far off I am. Maybe when the derision is done you'll be able to cobble together a consensus. I'm sorry that it should take that much work but everybody has an opinion, they just don't want to be called out on it if it's laughable!

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I was thinking of suggesting $12,500 as it sits now, not because I have a clue of what it really should sell for, but because my indicating what I think it should sell for will bring on a chorus of hoots and howls and eventually various indications of how far off I am. Maybe when the derision is done you'll be able to cobble together a consensus. I'm sorry that it should take that much work but everybody has an opinion, they just don't want to be called out on it if it's laughable!

Yep....we all have an opinion. I would guess that with the dual fender mounted spares it will raise the value. Then, it is only a two passenger coupe. Three if skinny. That will lower the value. I would say it is probably worth about $12-12,500 if it runs out well on the road. As stated by others....just my opinion.

Just looking at this thread, it is an interesting car.  I'd like to see a detail photo of the running board at the rear fender.  From the view, it looks strange.  The 29 fender had a small curve mating to the running board.  In 30, Chrysler eliminated that.  It looks like it has 30 features.

Another detail photo would be the spare tire bracket - looks strange - but it appears the same on both sides.

A detail photo of the passenger side engine compartment would be nice.  I'd like to see the distributor cap, carburetor and the generator. 

Mr Keiser got the model A bumpers.

Mr Moak's picture of the 30 is a really, really early 30.  The pennant  louvre disappeared quickly.  Notice the rear fender - that is a later 29 fender is nicely shows the curve.  Later 30s eliminated that as I mentioned above.  The caps look odd, though - more like Imperial caps.  I see it has a right side tail lamp - that was most likely an additional later.

Really beautiful car.

This will help you work out the series and what it is.

https://www.classiccardatabase.com/search.php?year=1928&make=Chrysler&submit=Search

The 1928 wheelbases were:

52  106"

62  109"

65  112-3/4"

72  120.5"

75  112-3/4"

80  136"

You will also see there that this model was the cheapest Chrysler 65 that year.

No one has said it, but first impressions are the most important. If you are serious about selling it, you need decent photos and it needs to be spotless. Decent photos have even lighting (not sun and deep shade) and are in focus. Engine photos must be from beside the engine, not 3 m away. The more photos the better. Buyers price down the more uncertainty there is.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

2 hours ago, tcslr said:

Just looking at this thread, it is an interesting car.  I'd like to see a detail photo of the running board at the rear fender.  From the view, it looks strange.  The 29 fender had a small curve mating to the running board.  In 30, Chrysler eliminated that.  It looks like it has 30 features.

Another detail photo would be the spare tire bracket - looks strange - but it appears the same on both sides.

A detail photo of the passenger side engine compartment would be nice.  I'd like to see the distributor cap, carburetor and the generator. 

Mr Keiser got the model A bumpers.

Mr Moak's picture of the 30 is a really, really early 30.  The pennant  louvre disappeared quickly.  Notice the rear fender - that is a later 29 fender is nicely shows the curve.  Later 30s eliminated that as I mentioned above.  The caps look odd, though - more like Imperial caps.  I see it has a right side tail lamp - that was most likely an additional later.

Really beautiful car.

Just to elaborate/correct....the Model 65 did not have the curve in front of the rear fender. The Model 75 did. At the risk of repeating myself, the car in the first post is a 1929 Model 65 business coupe.

Picture 28814.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When Graham-Paige built "Business Coupes" they were nonsense transportation for sale people, simple cars, leather seats (the face only).  The easy way to tell a business coupe is the trunk latch is on the bottom, rumble seat the latch is on the top.  Graham advertised you could sleep in the car.. if necessary.  Of course Coupes across the years are all up in prices, vs sedans, they look great.

image.png.bad7133c870e62cb99fa9c02ae55a4bb.png  1928 Graham-Paige 610 "Business Coupe" lowest price car for 1929

On 3/22/2019 at 3:42 PM, Graham Man said:

When Graham-Paige built "Business Coupes" they were nonsense transportation for sale people, simple cars, leather seats (the face only).  The easy way to tell a business coupe is the trunk latch is on the bottom, rumble seat the latch is on the top.  Graham advertised you could sleep in the car.. if necessary.  Of course Coupes across the years are all up in prices, vs sedans, they look great.

Mr G Paige, I suspect that you mean "no-nonsense" transportation. The fine automobiles of Graham-Paige never fell into the category of nonsense.