UPDATE Not a Dealership But a Garage Got Me.

Guest EDBS0

Not a Dealershit But a Garage Got Me.

Actually the whole experience sucks big time!!!!

After being referred to a great shop I show up on time for alignment and inside tierod ends at 1 and they don't even bring the car in until 1:35. It takes them 55 minutes to install the parts. I and the shop manual recommend that you put a wrench on the flats of the rack and pinion gear so as not to damage it. Guess what they didn't do it loosening or tightening. And to take the ball joint off instead of a ball joint splitter tool they used a big hammer JERKS.

So next the alignment. Said that the caster and camber were close but not perfect and not necessary to adjust. JERKS what they were saying is too difficult??? Rear thrust was off by 1/2 degree and they didn't even think of adjusting it. They only adjusted the toe-in. They charged me for the alignment and 1 and 1/2 hours installation labor (they took 55 minutes)!!! I ask why, "Book time, no they didn't have a book nor did they have it posted that they used "Book time" they just had an hourly rate posted. They refused to adjust the hours.

So I get in the car and I am constantly correcting the steering by turning to the left [censored] [censored]!!!! I hate getting ripped off. Phoned them up and let them know how happy I was. They say that I have bad tires. NOT they are Yokohamas, NEW and $200 each regularly and if you want to get technical "Z" rated. The highest. JERKS.

Supposed to call them Monday for appointment, think I will do it on Friday. If it doesn't work out I will put a stop or reverse the payment on the credit card!

Thanks for listening to my rant.

PS asked for an alignment print out and they couldn't get the printer to work frown.gif

I am disappointed when people make inappropriate remarks about all dealerships.There is entirely too much dealership bashing going on here. After retiring as a Buick dealer after 25 years, my experience is that the majority of the dealership personnel are hard working, conscientious, honest and intelligent.Every profession has people who are dishonest and willing to cheat. This does not mean I will paint ALL people with the same brush.Finally find a dealer OR repair shop with a good reputation( Easy to determine..BBB..other customers..discuss process with OWNER prior to starting repairs..etc.etc.etc.)and you can expect the best result AND resolution of problems.

What do you call 1,000 Dealers all chained together at the bottom of the ocean. <span style="font-weight: bold">A good start.</span>

Might have had a different answer if not a proud but anonymous poster.

I am disappointed when people post anonymously without the courage of their conviction.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Don't get me started on an unregistered user rant.</span>

Tom you posted while I was replying.

The other answer is of course is we know they are all different. Just why do I as a cautious informed consumer have to get stuck with the worst of the worst and feel they are all the same mad.gif

Jag dealers are different blush.gif

Suggest contacting the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Protection Agency in the town where the garage is.

As for stopping payment on a credit card, good luck. They don't work like checks.

Oh. Canada. Suspect the rules are different there.

Bummer, That really does suck when you think your getting something accomplished & they just *#$@ it up. shocked.gif

and they insult your intelligence on top of it.

I hate to take my vehicles in anywhere, but time is a factor.

Good Luck with getting it taken care of. I use to work parts counter for a Buick dealer*$ a long time ago, saw some amazing things! (that's putting it nicely).

Guest mgibson

Dealers often have a bad reputation but I live in a small town (pop. +- 8,000) and both my Buick and Ford dealers really try to do fair and honest work. The Buick dealer has nearly new alignment equipment and charges a fixed-price no matter how long it takes. They have aligned my Reatta and a Ford Ranger truck for me. They test drove each afterward to make sure they felt right and provided a color computer printout of before and after adjustments. My theory is that in a small town your reputation is known by almost everyone and this ensures that they must be good to survive! smile.gif

I do 99% of my own repairs on my cars, but alignments ain't one of them. When I needed to have the front end on my Chevy II set up, I called up a trusted friend/auto mechanic and asked him who was the best for alignments. He replied there is only one person in the whole county that knows how to align cars. Made an appointment, told him what was wrong, and he did the alignment perfectly.

I would <span style="font-weight: bold">never</span> have an alignment done by a major shop such as Sears, Pepboys, Buick, etc. Find an old timer that knows what's going on.

Cost $60.

It's common to charge by the book rate, not the actual time.

One way to remove a tie rod end from the steering knuckle is to back the steering knuckle up with a large hammer and strike the opposite side with another hammer. A more common method is to use a pickle fork, but the boot on the tie rod end may be damaged. I always place a cut out 5/8" flat washer between the pickle fork alnd the boot to protect the boot. But since the tie rod end was being replaced anyway, a torn boot wouldn't matter.

Should be a really easy job you could have done yourself. Approximate the toe in with a tape measure, then have the toe in professionally set. smile.gifsmile.gif

We think alike, and I have replaced other tie rod ends BUT have an unheated garage. Frost has already killed off all the annuals here. Actually started the job by cutting metal crimp ring on the protective rubber boot loose. I was just too cold and miserable to continue.

Know all about the flat rate book BUT I have an expectation of being told the job is by the book in advance.

This is an old timer who came with references.

Time will tell if they make it good.

I know that the following advice is hard to heed in a fit of anger, but it is a true statement.

"It is easier to get what you want from a friend than an enemy!"

And here is one that Bush dosen't understand.-- When you make an enemy -- You become one yourself.

Here is more advice that is not necessarily in the order that you should use to attack the problem.

Do not show anger. Do not cuss or throw a tantrum. Be calm and choose your words wisely. Do all of the right things to make certain that you communicate your desires and that they totally understand why you are dissatified.

Tacticly let them know that you had references from other customers/ friends and that you have the power to influence others. Call them by their name to give an aura of a personal bond.

Talk of other subjects to peak their interest and find common grounds for friendship.

Realize that there are daily problems and that attitudes and work loads change on a daily basis and there are other days to work on the problem.

Use the people that provided the reference as a back door method to influence the outcome of the resolution.

Let them know that you will work ceaselessly at getting satisfaction.

Tell me again why I learned how to do all my own (minor) repairs? I usually go to the library for my other cars or buy a Chilton's(or haynes) manual. I like to become familiar with the car and learn my limitations. I do all my own routine maintenance on my cars. I rarely need to take my cars to the experts. I have had very good experiences taking my 1997 Aurora to the Olds dealer for stuff I can't do. I also have a local independent that I will trust. My experience has shown me most mechanics don't like to be told how to do things. If I do take my car somewhere, It's like a restaurant, I don't want to see the cook. If the food is good, I don't really care who made it, or how they made it.

I've been seeing the same independent garage for twelve years. It pays to have a mechanic who knows you, knows your car, and will do a good job. I tried several different garages before finding the right one, and they really take care of my car. We've become pals in a way, I bring in doughnuts and coffee, and we get together at christmas. My service manuals for both cars (corvette and reatta) are kept in the garage for reference, and I don't mind if they use them for other customers' cars since ALLDATA is largely useless.

Now, when I bought my 1990 corvette used, the airbag light remained on all the time. Taking it to Ellis Brooks in San Francisco, they wanted to replace the entire SIR system including the bag to the tune of $2,500. This was in the days before the internet, so I couldn't verify their claim. Well, I got on the phone and called everywhere for about a week (this WAS the internet in 1992), and found out that a simple ground at the impact sensor had been corroded. I fixed it myself for $1.00 worth of dielectric grease and some light sanding. My point is that Ellis Brooks, being a Chevrolet dealer, should have access to the TSBs for all their cars. Did they intentionally try to rip me off? Well, given the evidence, you can decide that for yourself.

Long story short, I now refuse to take my cars to the dealer for service. I'm very happy with my independent shop, thanks.

No JJ It was a meee re Tom etc grin.gif

Go back to your blue and you know I am not talking about beer!

Should I change first line of first post also?

ok im not the best person to be saying since i am only 19 but i have done 40+ allingments an none have turned out like this one. i have allways changed caster & camber evan if it is only out 1/2 a degree. there not all that hard to do. i also have had problems with one place (canadian tire) with there allingments. The last time i went there i told them that i am a qualifyed mechanic (that can't spell) and if they screw me they will regret it. never hade a problem. no it wasn't my reatta i took there. honestly if u can't trust a qualifyed mechanic who can u trust.

Guest Reatta1

I have a cardinal rule when it come to my Reatta. I don't take it to anybody but my Buick dealer. It is too rare and complex a vehicle to trust to an independent that is Jack of all vehicles and Master of none. My dealer is very highly regarded with probably the best reputation in the area. Also, anything they do is guaranteed and there is never a question about revisiting a job if necessary. The only negative about them is that they are expensive. All my other vehicles go to a friend who owns and operates his own shop with his sons. He has an excellent reputation and has been very trustworthy. Only drawback is that he is usualy booked nearly two weeks out, a credit to his reputation and he does no advertising at all. As far as tires and alignements I goe to a western states region tire chain called Les Schwab Tires. Also with an excellent reputation. I used to do most of my own mechanicing but am getting too old and only have one good hand anymore and cars nowadays have too much complex electronics requiring expensive equipment which I can't afford.

In dealing with shops, I agree with Sahein, you get further treating people firmly but with respect than brow beating them. That just puts them on the defensive and then its real hard to reach agreements or get concessions.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The Buick dealer in Montgomery Ala has some very knowledgeable Reatta service people and mechanics. So far, I've always had outstanding service from them. [color:\\"blue\\"]

Sorry you got ripped Robert. </span> [color:\\"blue\\"]

This is not done. I have an appointment for Tuesday to get it fixed right by them.

As a negotiator I would say that I am almost legendary, if I may say so myself. Friends and family frequently ask me to negotiate on their behalf. The secret, there are many.

Make it clear that you like or love the item or goal, do not run it down, you will not be sincere (Many feel the way to negotiate is to find fault with the item, NOT you want it because it is perfect).

Be friendly smile and joke, bond with them or as my niece would say "make them your dog".

Ask for a break and the vendor's help.

Thank him/her ask for more.

Take your time let the vendor invest lots of his time.

It helps if you won't be back that way because you live farrr away. Now at or close to my price or never.

And yes be reasonable smile.gif

It is only an alignment, I will prevail even if it means going elsewhere.

Thanks for all the advice, you're my dog!

PS that is a good thing cool.gif

Took it in today at appointed time. kept me waiting another half hour.

Senior tech took test drive and declared perfect or close enough.

He said "I don't give a [censored] if you would like me to redo it I will" My response was "I want you to care and I want you to do a proper alignment."

His response was "would you like your money back?" after a pregnant pause I said <span style="font-weight: bold">YES!</span>

He went on belittling me about not knowing anything about anything and invited me not to come back. <span style="font-weight: bold">DUH?</span> confused.gif not if they were the last shop in the world.

<span style="font-weight: bold">STAY AWAY!</span> <span style="font-style: italic">Wallace Service Centre Ltd Phone: (613)822-6180 5217 Regional Road 31, Gloucester, ON K1G 3N4 </span> <span style="font-weight: bold">STAY AWAY!</span>

I am thankful that they did such a poor job that it vas very obvious in the way the car drives. It could be worse if the job was bad enough to wear the tires but not feel that much off.

OK that I got my money back but obviously no compensation for small waste of time involved and I would rather have been doing other things.

Heavy frost last night so I will be putting the car in storage soon.