valk

1941 Roadmaster coupe

Matt, thanks for your thoughts.  I hope to find and install a proper rear carb damper - perhaps I can pry one from Greg when he's finished.  My expectations for it making a major difference are low but I'll give it a shot.  My confidence in John Sobers though is rock solid and he knows this car better than anyone having owned and worked on it for about 8 years. Since the rear plugs look much better now that # 6 and 7 cylinder valves are working I'm going to change the oil, drive it a bit and see if the plug fouling and smoking goes away.  Going now to sacrifice a chicken...

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, valk said:

Matt, thanks for your thoughts.  I hope to find and install a proper rear carb damper - perhaps I can pry one from Greg when he's finished.  My expectations for it making a major difference are low but I'll give it a shot.  My confidence in John Sobers though is rock solid and he knows this car better than anyone having owned and worked on it for about 8 years. Since the rear plugs look much better now that # 6 and 7 cylinder valves are working I'm going to change the oil, drive it a bit and see if the plug fouling and smoking goes away.  Going now to sacrifice a chicken...

I think I will be replacing brass shafts with steel, either fabbed from bulk stock if unavailble nos or hopefully nos findable. Anyrate they have to be dead straight or they bind in the bushings. Cant hone the bushings causing vacuum leaks. Hmm...I guess they will just have to meet design specs. Ok, Ill do em that way!  Vacuum control is A/F metering w/o a computor. SU carbs yeah. Quadrajet(vacuum secondaries) wish I knew how to post a link to the youtube video Peter and I have seen of the rear carb damper in action! Buick engineers(Charles Chayne), I think he's to blame for developing the system. Might have even been the for runner of the vacuum secondary carb,(oh, that'll never work)! Keeping that damper moving freely, Im guessing, is not an easy prospect, but prolley doable with some difficult inspection, like grabbing the counter weight and making sure its not stuck by trying to turn it by hand every once in awhile! Just a SWAG(scientific wild axe guess).

5 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

wish I knew how to post a link to the youtube video Peter and I have seen of the rear carb damper in action!

Just copy the URL for the video, and paste it into your post on this thread.  We'd like to see it!

Peter, glad to hear of your good progress, hopefully the smoke will clear up soon, as others have said. Then you can enjoy that great car!

Keith

Boys, great news.  Changed the oil (which looked thin and watery so must have mixed with gas) and she no longer smokes! Took her for a short spin around the hood and she ran great, pulled the plugs and they, too, look really good - no more fuel fouling! For reason's I cannot explain, the busted rods seem to be related to the flooding issue. In any event, I am going to go on a longer run tomorrow to confirm all is well. Probably still get a rear damper, though. Can't wait to finally drive the thing. 

Thank you all for all the help, encouragement and support during this whole process. Dave, Greg, Matt, Keith, Neil, Bloo, and others, thanks much, Boys and I hope I can return the favor.  And I know I'll be leaning on you again before you know it. This forum is awesome. 

Peter

• Like 3
  • Haha 1