Jump to content

eBugle BOD Ballot Inquiry


B Jake Moran
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have received numerous inquiries from members that want to vote in the upcoming election for the new BOD who are only e-Bugle subscribers.  They want to know will they receive a paper ballot even though they only receive the Bugle in an "e" manner.  I did not know so I asked Pete Phillips. Pete did not know and advised me to ask Cornerstone, which I did. Cornerstone did not know. 

 

Does anyone with past experience in voting for the BOD with an e-only membership or a present BOD member know - how do e-subscribers vote?  Do you get a separate ballot or how is it handled.   Thanks!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Roberta,

 

Because of apparent shredding of the covers, I never received my original copy of the March Bugle.  I fear, the same may occur in April, perhaps not me, but other not on the forum.  How would these situations be handled?  Do we make a special request, and to whom, if we do not have the printed Bugle by, say April 15?  By the way, lets change the mail procedure or go back to the plastic wraps.  After all, someone on the BOD said we have more money than we need, as I recall.

 

Thank you,

 

John

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jake said he had numerous inquiries from Ebugle only members............since being made available, I was told there was only a small number of members that was electronic members.

Who knows how many of the roughly 6000 members are electronic Bugle only.........and how many of those are foreign members?

My interest is personal........I make the motion to make electronic Bugles available......back in 2008-9 and it took a while to get it working.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Brad Conley said:

I have not received my April Bugle either.

The April issue, which will have shrink wrap, should hit mailboxes the first week in April, if not sooner. If you want to see the magazine sooner than that, you can read the digital version, which is already uploaded to the BCA website. Modern Litho is printing special ballots for eBugle subscribers and those will be mailed fairly soon. Be sure your ballots are mailed in time to be counted on June 1, 2019.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Cindy Livingston said:

The April issue, which will have shrink wrap, should hit mailboxes the first week in April, if not sooner. If you want to see the magazine sooner than that, you can read the digital version, which is already uploaded to the BCA website. Modern Litho is printing special ballots for eBugle subscribers and those will be mailed fairly soon. Be sure your ballots are mailed in time to be counted on June 1, 2019.

 

Perhaps you've thought of this, but being an eBugle subscriber should indicate some degree of computer literacy.  As such, why not make the ballot downloadable and save the postage costs?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KongaMan said:

 

Perhaps you've thought of this, but being an eBugle subscriber should indicate some degree of computer literacy.  As such, why not make the ballot downloadable and save the postage costs?

That's been discussed in the past, but the security issues are still issues, I think it cost money to do that, but definitely something to investigate, thanks!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

100% of my emails are bcc.  If I recognize a name, I don't send an email.  It has been an enlightening experience and personally I have enjoyed hearing from members I have never met.  Some do not agree with my positions, or not all of them, but have been respectful and more importantly I have learned a lot.  I guess that's the takeaway - open lines of communication. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the extra Bugles I receive as a chapter director was missing last month and just showed up in a USPS envelope. The outside paper cover was somewhat shredded but the magazine itself was useable. This April issue the BOD did vote to have them poly-bagged.

 Mine came through fine. Even if there was some damage involved the ballot instructions still indicate that the ballot be placed in an envelope to be returned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I received my copies yesterday.  Not banded together as in the past, but still intact, bagged.  The March editions did have some damage to the outer wrap, but the magazine itself was ok. 

 

Perhaps, when the e-Bugle is uploaded, on election month issues, there could also be an attachment which would include the BOD ballot, which could be printed and returned, with a unique barcode for authenticity?  With mailing instructions included.

 

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, NTX5467 said:

Perhaps, when the e-Bugle is uploaded, on election month issues, there could also be an attachment which would include the BOD ballot, which could be printed and returned, with a unique barcode for authenticity?  With mailing instructions included.

 

NTX5467

Another great idea. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course, when every ballot is marked with a unique bar code, the idea of keeping your vote private goes out the window. ;) 

 

But why even mail the ballots in?  Log in to the BCA site, pull up a ballot, and vote.  Shouldn't be that hard to limit each member to a single vote.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2019 at 9:55 AM, B Jake Moran said:

I have received numerous inquiries from members that want to vote in the upcoming election for the new BOD who are only e-Bugle subscribers.  They want to know will they receive a paper ballot even though they only receive the Bugle in an "e" manner.  I did not know so I asked Pete Phillips. Pete did not know and advised me to ask Cornerstone, which I did. Cornerstone did not know. 

 

Does anyone with past experience in voting for the BOD with an e-only membership or a present BOD member know - how do e-subscribers vote?  Do you get a separate ballot or how is it handled.   Thanks!

This is probably old news by now, but just want eBugle subscribers to know that their ballots will be mailed out by MLP tomorrow or the next day, so be patient - they are on the way! The ballot will look very similar to the cover of the April mail wrap with the mailing label containing your personal member number and name.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/31/2019 at 5:59 PM, KongaMan said:

Of course, when every ballot is marked with a unique bar code, the idea of keeping your vote private goes out the window. ;) 

 

But why even mail the ballots in?  Log in to the BCA site, pull up a ballot, and vote.  Shouldn't be that hard to limit each member to a single vote.

 

As things are now, the paper ballot has the mailing address and the voter must write their name and BCA number in the noted location on said ballot.  So, if anybody wanted to look, they could see who voted for whom, manually.

 

For the e-ballot, there could possibly be some background program running to compare the submitter's ballot to a master file list of who received ballots.  If somebody attempted to, unknowingly or otherwise, submit two voter responses, then it could not accept the second one, kick all ballots tied to that member ID out, or whatever is desired.

 

Many interesting possibilities!  But the desire for ultimate secrecy of votes might not exist in voting that isn't done in person with un-ID'd ballots that are stuffed into a box to be electronically tabulated.

 

Just some thoughts,

Willis Bell 20811

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...