1936 Air cleaner

Tom_S

I know there were different type air cleaners on the 1936 Buicks depending on engine size, heavy duty, etc.  But were there different ones for the 36-40 series motors.  The one on the left picture came off my 36-40 and used the bent radiator support rod for clearance.  The one on the right is lower and fatter and would not need the bent support rod for clearance.  It came off my recent 36-40 complete engine purchase.  Picture of it being unloaded. 

Thanks,

Tom

cleaner.jpg

engine unload.jpg

I have no personal experience with 1936 40 series cars so I can't tell you which one is correct and which one has been changed but the parts manual only appears to list one part number for a 1936 40 series Air Cleaner and Silencer. That part number is 1526941.

From a quick Google Images search, I would guess that the taller one is the correct one for your car.

Tom, from what I`ve learned is the one on the left is the "city" one, and there is what they called the "country" one(or heavy-duty)which is an oil-bath. My `36 40series has one like yours, which I think is original to the car, both my radiator support rods are straight. I do have the oil-bath type also, I bought it from a guy parting out a `36 40series. Someone had changed the carb(put a carter in place of the stromberg)and hammered a spot on the underside for clearance so it would fit on the carter. I noticed the throw-out bearing and hub lying there. Bearing is easy to find, the hub it goes on not easy to find. There is a return spring that connects to the throw-out and the front of the trans. Most people destroy this spring when removing the transmission. FYI when removing the trans, first remove the bell-housing louvered vent(has the dripper tube) reach in and disconnect the spring. Attached is picture of oil bath type.

DSCN5408.JPG

I've been told that starting in the late 1930s (1937 and up), there were two different styles of air cleaners, depending on where the car was sold new. The heavy duty air cleaner came with cars sold in locations west of the Mississippi River; and the standard or smaller air cleaner came on cars sold east of the Mississippi. The thinking was that west of the Mississippi the climate is drier and therefore has dustier roads than those in the eastern part of the country. I got that information from David Corbin.

Pete Phillips

Leonard, Texas

Thanks for the information and discussion.  I am pretty sure the taller cleaner was installed with the bent radiator support rod.  Note picture of mine.    The bent rod provided clearance so the tall cleaner would not rub and make for ease of removal.  I installed the short/fat cleaner on the carb just to see how it looked.  Would be interesting to find out where the short cleaner was used.  It is an oil bath as noted by the sticker and under the top plate is a felt cover to oil for dust removal.  Noting how complete my recent purchase of the 36 engine is, I can only assume it was the original cleaner on the car. 

Tom

bent rod.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi Groselle,

I am doing a little research into the various air filters for '36 40. I know your last post was quite a while ago but was hoping you might be able to post a photo of the long, heavy duty oil bath air cleaner as well as details of any support bracket that might be attached. Cheers Paul

Hi Morgan, thanks for the quick response! Do you know whether there is a support bracket on the body of the air cleaner or is it just held on by a clamp around the inlet on the carburetor?  You are up rather late! I am having a late Sunday afternoon cup of tea here.  Cheers Paul

I had a 1940 so the air filter was a little different. Mine was held on by a metal band that went around the intake muffler to hold it to the engine, and one phillips head!! screw with a square nut to tighten the band. There was also a metal band around the mouth of the filter itself.

Yours won't be phillips head, GM started using Phillips head screws in 1939 or 1940

Would suggest calling Dave Tachney--he would know what is out there and would assume good idea of which is original. I have two model 40 1936 and have the heavy duty on one and tall one on the other. Bent rods for teh taller one and straight rods for the heavy duty/country one. Bent support rods necessary for usage of taller one and straight OK for country. I believe these are original. Do know some changes made midyear and the taller air cleaner is  the early production but do not know if change made between early and late.  The light switch was changed as well as support bars in rear seat removed for late. Interesting to know as I have never seen the shorter air cleaner on any 36 model 40 but don't know if I would have noticed anyway. 

Rod

10 hours ago, Paul White said:

Hi Morgan, thanks for the quick response! Do you know whether there is a support bracket on the body of the air cleaner or is it just held on by a clamp around the inlet on the carburetor?  You are up rather late! I am having a late Sunday afternoon cup of tea here.  Cheers Paul

Paul, yes, there is a bracket that bolts to the head. Here`s a couple pictures.

DSCN5723.JPG

DSCN5724.JPG

Here's a few pictures I found in my collection.  It shows the bracket installed at the front of the engine to hold the oil bath. Phillips head screws were used in late 1936 cars for the garnish molding.  There's even a special section about these new screws in the body service manual.  I don't think they were used anywhere else on the cars.

If you'd like any more pictures let me know.  It's about 5 degrees in my garage right now so it may have to wait until this afternoon or tomorrow.

February 2009 003.jpg

February 2009 001.jpg

February 2009 002.jpg

DSCF2623.JPG

DSCF2621.JPG

On 10/25/2020 at 11:35 AM, groselle said:

Phillips head screws were used in late 1936 cars for the garnish molding.  There's even a special section about these new screws in the body service manual.  I don't think they were used anywhere else on the cars.

I read somewhere that GM was the first major company to start using phillips head screws. Now, every time I reach for a screwdriver I find 2 or 3 of the wrong kind before I find a right one!!

Hi All,

Does anyone have photos of the regular (non-oil bath) long barrel air cleaners for the Series 60 and the one for the Series 80 and 90, those air cleaners pictured in the 1936 Buick Shop Manual images 54 and 55.  Also, is the copper mesh filter on the shorter oil bath filter removable? I managed to pick up one of the taller oil-bath filter at the 2018 Denver Nationals (which won't fit my '36 as I don't have the bent rod) and found that the filter cannot be replaced, Cheers Paul

4 hours ago, Paul White said:

Hi All,

Does anyone have photos of the regular (non-oil bath) long barrel air cleaners for the Series 60 and the one for the Series 80 and 90, those air cleaners pictured in the 1936 Buick Shop Manual images 54 and 55.  Also, is the copper mesh filter on the shorter oil bath filter removable? I managed to pick up one of the taller oil-bath filter at the 2018 Denver Nationals (which won't fit my '36 as I don't have the bent rod) and found that the filter cannot be replaced, Cheers Paul

Paul,do you still have the taller one and would you sell it?

20 hours ago, Paul White said:

Hi All,

Series 60 and 80 filter. Note the larger Series carby has an elbow which means these filters fit on the side of the carby not the top as with the 40 Series.

1st run 023.JPG

1st run 028.JPG

6 hours ago, Paul White said:

I still have it and would consider selling it, I will post a few photos so you will have some idea of the condition. If you are happy with it I will also get a postage quote, what state do you live in? Cheers Paul

I live in Florida,32927.Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2019 at 12:13 AM, Tom_S said:

I know there were different type air cleaners on the 1936 Buicks depending on engine size, heavy duty, etc.  But were there different ones for the 36-40 series motors.  The one on the left picture came off my 36-40 and used the bent radiator support rod for clearance.  The one on the right is lower and fatter and would not need the bent support rod for clearance.  It came off my recent 36-40 complete engine purchase.  Picture of it being unloaded. 

Thanks,

Tom

cleaner.jpg

engine unload.jpg

Hi Tom, I was wondering whether there was a point in time when the regular air cleaner changed from the taller type to the shorter type removing the necessity of the bent radiator support rod. I was wondering whether you might be able to provide me with engine/ chassis numbers that might allow me to better pin point the change over date. My chassis number of 2909707 and has the straight radiator support rods. Cheers Paul

Paul,

My chassis number is 2923443  1936 mod 41.  I will have to go look at the engine number and post later

The size of the air cleaner and bent rod could possible have something to do with the chassis and engine, but I really haven't a clue.  Take someone a whole lot familiar with the history than me.

Tom