GasWorksGarage

1914 Stroughton School Bus

Posted (edited)

Most likely a form of governor.  Can you remove the small square cover above the carburetor ? I would expect it connects to a additional throttle butterfly that regulates airflow dependent on engine R.P.M. . Not unusual on truck engines of this era. Any idea of the make of Engine ? Is there a makers tag anywhere, most likely on the crankcase ?

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Did you mean 1924???---Mroz lists Stoughton 1920-28..

If the engine looks unfamiliar, hold your breath...while Mroz lists Cont'l,  Herc, Midwest and Wauk engines used he also implies an "own" engine (27.3 HP 4cyl) may've been used in 1925 and describes a 31.5 HP "own" engine in that year...

No mention of any buses are made in the brief thumbnail; my catalogs only have one "Stoughton Bus" listing,  using an OHV Midwest engine, obviously not yours...

I guess I was mistaken as we did get it from this museum.

They offered flatbed, stake-bed, van and bus models. This two-ton bus is a classic Stoughton 1919 model. It shows the extensive use of wood framing and paneling. These Stoughton buses were powered by either Continental, or Midwest engines, depending upon which model and/or year. It would be a few more years before wood-framed and panel buses would cease to be built, but metal was gaining favor as the new mantra! This 14-passenger Stoughton bus is on show at the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in McMinnville, Oregon, Home of the famed Spruce Goose

Interesting...Mroz's Ency US Comm'l Veh lists buses, too, so ordinarily would've at least mentioned them...I'm not that conversant with the actual machinery of  the periods, but I'd guess more 24 than 14 from the pic, but it's just a guess...

Anyway, one catalog listed a Lycoming CE for a Stoughton truck...if that should turn out to be the Lycoming  CE (or any other Lyc C- engine) DON'T TOUCH the oil pump---many of these had a potmetal oil pump in a press-in fit. These have deteriorated/cracked over the years and tend to come out in pieces. Owners often leave them in if they look OK. Cast iron pumps are OK...(Info re' replacement pump on Gardner website)...

Can anyone give some insight to this ignition switch? I have power going to it but nothing coming out.

if anyone has a wiring diagram they would like to share I would appreciate it. 

Thanks

IMG_20190313_103255724.jpg

The BUX was a fairly popular engine of its time, even got into a batch of tractors...listings run 1917/18 up into mid 20s or so...

WEHS.net (Wauk Eng Hist Soc) has manuals, advice and sympathy but no parts, altho I understand they make suggestions if they can..

There're probably manuals on EBay, but some Wauk manuals were updated (Edition 2 etc); WEHS sells the latest editons...

Only familiar names that I believe has Clubs or sites is Fageol and GMC, but the one catalog that listed GMC gave no years or model #...