WW or BW tires on a 1947?

'72 LeSabre

I have a 1947 Roadmaster Sedanette.  It's time to buy a set of bias tires.  The 1947 sales brochure shows the car with wide whitewalls.  I'm assuming the car could have come with blackwalls.  Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Ashby

I agree with Jack as an option.

In the book "70 Years or Buick" the '47 Roadmaster Sedanet  76-S is shown with whitewalls. 

Also states a cost of $2,131 and weighed 4,095 Pounds with 18,983 produced for domestic sales.

Cal.

Whitewalls - 

Yes, in my opinion:

The ROADMASTER, as a TOP-OF-THE-LINE Series Buick would very likely have been ordered, Floor-Planned, and delivered with several options, not the least of which were the white sidewall tires, in addition to a pushbutton radio, heater/defroster, day,night mirror, etc - at least in my opinion. I could understand the buyer of a 40 Series Special opting to save the cost of some of the options, especially if it were to be a dealer showroom price-leader, a traveling salesman's daily-driver, or a housewife's grocery-getter. 

• Like 1

I’m more or less with Marty on this one...optional yes, so ultimately you can decide and neither will be incorrect, but I’d expect the proportion of Roadmasters with whitewalls to be considerably higher than the proportion of Specials.

Of course, this is not an era of expertise for me.

• Like 1

I think all vehicles should have WSW if they were available for the car.......I just like WSW.

But.....while the catalogs might show the cars with WSW and also show them as being available,  coming out of the war years,  WSW were probably a luxury.  I suspect the tire companies were selling all the black walls they could make and at whatever price

they chose.   I guess my view of history would be Yes they were available, and I would certainly have ordered them......I suspect there was limited availabity of white side walls in 1947.   

Hello ,Coker and Diamond back both make wide white wall radial tires that look like bias ply you may want to check on them,I plan on getting a set for my 49 Super convertible they were factory equipment on that model.Gary Nice 47 Convertible by the way!!

• Like 1

Cars were hard to get after WW2 you had to put your name on a waiting list the demand was so high , dealers would load up cars with options for higher profits as they knew it would sell ,also to get around prices set by government regulators in early post war era so white wall may have been on car when delivered.

I appreciate everyone's input.  Yes Marty, the car came with a radio, clock, and heater/defroster.  I agree the ww's look better on the Roadmaster's, especially a nice car like Matt's convertible.

I've got a set of ww's on my 1937 Roadmaster and they look great.  My only issue with them is they started yellowing in less than 2 years.  The car is stored inside.  The tires were L's I got from U.T.  (Not sure I can name the brand without getting moderated.)

The 1947 is unrestored.  The paint, chrome, interior, etc. are original.  I plan to leave it this way.  I was wondering if the ww's might be too bright on the car.  That's why I'm considering blackwalls.

Here it is.  The dry rotted port-o-walls were on the car when I got it.  Surprisingly the tubes hold air.

20190303_120023a.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I was firmly on the 'whitewall' side of the fence until I saw that photograph.  Now, seeing the car I can really picture it with blackwalls.  That said, it would really give the car a 'purposeful' look.  ;)