Trouble Line Flaring- Suggestions.

ArticiferTom

I was trying to put flare on my '31's  steel fuel line . It kept splitting .  Is it age or am I missing something . Tried twice on cut off piece . Sitting here now thinking would oil on flare tool have help . The split seems to be at a seam , remember this is gasoline line under vacuum not pressure or brake . Thanks Tom

Is it supposed to be a double flare? Single flare not often used on steel. To quote Wikipedia:

A single flare is susceptible to cracks propagating from the stretched end of the tube at the bell end of the flare. Cracks in metals propagate more readily from an end or edge than by tearing in the middle of a sheet. A double flare is less susceptible to cracking because the end of the tube remains unstretched. 

Oil is suggested for flaring. Just not on brake line, where one uses brake fluid as the lubricant so it is compatible.

• Like 1

On the occasions that I have split steel tubing, it has always been due to having too much material out of the flaring tool, and thereby asking too much of the tube. The more tube, the wider it has to stretch. Those were single flares on steel brake lines, but the principle should be the same on your fuel line. Worth a look, at least..

• Like 1

Sometimes welded seam tubing is cooled too quickly in the weld area during manufacture and needs to be annealed to flair without splitting there.  After cutting and filing square, try heating the end 1/2 inch to cherry red.  Let it cool as slowly as possible, then try flaring it.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks All . Everyone hit some of it this time . First after taking my stronger cheaters out to garage found it is double flare . Re did practice ones with ream and cleaning , add oil per boxes instruction and was much better no splitting . But still not good enough on shape at seal . I believe there is hardening as one side collapsed . Will try actual up under truck if fails , new line time .

• Like 1

Whenever I have one side collapse, is because the initial cut end wasn’t filed flat enough.  I usually cut the line, place line upside down in the clamp to have a flat surface to file to.  Ream the hole a slight bit to open the hole back up.  Flip the clamp back over and set the height of the first flare.  Put the proper pushing barrel in the tube, assemble the flare on the clamp and tighten the piss out of the clamp.  Put the clamp in a vice and then flare the first step.  Loosen the flare, remove the barrel pusher, install the flaring tool again and flare the second stage

• Like 2