Jerry43

1939 Roadmaster for sale

I was thinking about this '39 Roadmaster, did you sell the car?  I have a '39 Century and I enjoy the car very much and it is not actively for sale but someday I may need to and it would give me comfort today to know someone may want it.  Please give us an update.

Regards, Gary

No Gary, still have. Not one call of interest on the car. Probably have better luck at the shows this summer.

That surprises me I guessed a running, driving car as popular as a full sized Buick and in an eastern state like NY, and offered at a discounted " on sale" price would be taken fast.  Sorry to hear the news but best of luck.  Maybe reviving the thread and spring weather will motivate a sale.

Gary

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:48 PM, Jerry43 said:

Runs great. New brakes, clutch, seat covers, good tires, all original. Daily driver.

Are we still talking about the same car as in post one.

12 volts, flex fan, fuel cell in the trunk, larger carb, etc.?

It doesn't sound all that original, but seems to be the subject of much conversation.

1 hour ago, cxgvd said:

That surprises me I guessed a running, driving car as popular as a full sized Buick and in an eastern state like NY, and offered at a discounted " on sale" price would be taken fast.  Sorry to hear the news but best of luck.  Maybe reviving the thread and spring weather will motivate a sale.

Gary

I'm not surprised.  I put my '39 Buick Special 4-door convertible on here....a show winner although an older restoration now....on here and never got any interest either.  It's with a dealer now on consignment, and I don't think he's getting that much interest either.  If it "ain't" got a jacked up rear, rack and pinion steering and funny wheels with a huge V-8 these days, the average old car guy (millenium?) isn't interested.  Sad.

• Sad 1

Is it advertised anywhere else? This is a notoriously poor place to try to sell a car--it should only be one part of a multiple-site marketing plan. I would also suggest that a print ad with a photo in Hemmings is a good idea with a car like this. There are plenty of guys who don't go online but who do read Hemmings every month. I don't do print ads for the cars that attract a younger demographic, but for pre-war cars, a print ad in Hemmings will often pay off because the guys thumbing through the book are paying attention to cars like this.

Just a thought. I love the car and as a Buick guy, I'm dismayed by values on these cars. But don't give up, there aren't ZERO buyers, just fewer than before. Your job is to find him, and he probably isn't here shopping (AACA guys on this board already have their cars, so while they're curious about what's for sale, they are not often actively in the market).

Good luck!

• Like 3

It's still awfully cold and snowy up there. Warmer weather is what gets folks thinking to fill thiat vacant space in the garage...

Thanks Matt. No not advertised anywhere else. Like Pete said, spring and summer are better for old car sales. I use it all the time to shop and cruise, so signs on it will probably sell it at Lowe’s or Walmart. What snow Pete, sunny and 80’s. You know I’m only kidding. Need Firestone town and country snow tires. That’s what my father always had on his cars in the 40,s and 50,s.

Well, yes and no. I've seen that the hobby is no longer local and there's not really a spring buying season like there used to be. Remember that winter is the prime driving time for people in Florida, Texas, Arizona, and other warm parts of the country. They buy in the fall and drive all winter. Yes, spring is coming and for people in the north it's time to think about an old car, but giving yourself a national or global audience means that there's no good or bad time to sell a car anymore. Oddly enough, the period between Thanksgiving and New Year is typically our busiest time of the year!

Love the car, it'll find a home. It just takes time (if it helps, even for me selling a car in less than 90 days is quite rare). Hang in there!

17 minutes ago, Jerry43 said:

Thanks Matt. I hope I live that long.

Don't think that way, Jerry. We're all pulling for you!

• Like 2

Hi Jerry! Recent discussion about sales of 1939 Buicks lead to another '39 Roadmaster for sale. I greatly prefer your original car. How are you doing ? I hope you are comfortable, and able to still enjoy driving, whether you have sold the Buick or not.    -     Carl 

Non-ethanol gas is readily available around Ft. Myers. Yes, it costa a little more, but I only buy it for the '36 Ford. Our '61 Bentley is happier with premium unleaded and the Model A's don't care what goes in their gas tanks.

Regards,

Henry

Hey Carl. Still have the 39. Trying to get 15,000 for it now. Trying to get money in the bank for the old lady. Start it up once and a while, driving gets harder without power steering on the old girl.. they keep taking parts out of me, like an old car but don’t have any new ones to put back in. Thanks for the talk, hanging in there,, Jerry

• Like 1

Hey Parrts, from my experience with Model As, I’m pretty sure they will run on warm expired beer.

• Like 1

Gerry missed you at breakfast last thursday I drove the 17 Buick up to Edinburg to give you a ride.   Cold ride on a 40F morning!!! I sold it yesterday so there is still a market.

I can attest that Gerry uses this car as a daily driver when not wintering in Carolina.  Gerry's original intention was to pop a 454 in it  but the 320 ran so strong there was no need to do that. "Hot Rodder" found respect for the big straight 8

Hope to see you next week at breakfast

• Like 1

yes, a great treat to see it driving thru the 4 corners someday