1930 Cadillac Fisher sedan body top deck material

DRF

Looking for information on the correct pattern for the top decking material on a 1930 Fisher body 5 passenger Cadillac.  I am thinking that Buick and other GM Fisher bodied cars may have used the same material?  I have only found the "Cobra grain" style used on Model A Ford closed cars.  Seems that this is often used on pre-war cars in general.

The top decking on the car now doesn't seem to be original and has little or no grain at all.  The edging material doesn't look quite right either.

Anyone know of suppliers that carry the Fisher style material and edge material if it is not the same as the Model A type?

Thanks

David Farlow

roof decking w trim.jpg

roof decking and trim.jpg

My Pontiac, that my Grandfather bought new had the original top when I started driving it.  The material was smooth, just like the picture of the material on your Cadillac.  I could not find any material similar from auto suppliers so used "oilcloth" like you would buy to use as a tablecloth on an outdoor table.  Looked the same as the original and stretched into place just fine.  The original lasted 30 years (car was outside only when being driven), the oilcloth lasted 25 years (outside 12+ hours every day in all types of weather. The third top was oilcloth again and has lasted 34 years and needs to be replaces now. 

I also owned four other 20's Pontiac's that looked to be original and they all has smooth material on the tops.

On 3/17/2019 at 7:39 PM, DRF said:

Looking for information on the correct pattern for the top decking material on a 1930 Fisher body 5 passenger Cadillac.  I am thinking that Buick and other GM Fisher bodied cars may have used the same material?  I have only found the "Cobra grain" style used on Model A Ford closed cars.  Seems that this is often used on pre-war cars in general.

The top decking on the car now doesn't seem to be original and has little or no grain at all.  The edging material doesn't look quite right either.

Anyone know of suppliers that carry the Fisher style material and edge material if it is not the same as the Model A type?

Thanks

David Farlow

roof decking w trim.jpg

roof decking and trim.jpg

I would think that is the original - it is more the pattern you would have on a leather top of a 30's Cadillac.  

My 1931 Cadillacs did not have cording in the aluminum welt - the aluminum welt had an aluminum flap that nailed down over the nails.    

As to the grained vinyl used for Fords (and hate to say it, but it is a good alternative as it is quite durable and made for this exact purpose) - I have seen some recently with more a fur backing than a woven backing and I would lean toward the woven backing. 

My guess is you may be able to find some material used via 1960's to 1990's vinyl tops.  Perhaps try SMS - https://smsautofabrics.com/pages/vinyl-tops