DOHC Model T Engine

I'm not a Model T or Model A guy, but I found the engine conversion mentioned / pictured in this ebay ad to be very interesting. Anyone know more about these conversions? Were similar setups made by others? The last photo in the ad shows the engine best. I suppose I could contact the seller, but wouldn't do so as I'm not interested in owning his car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1930-HOMEMADE-SPRINT-CAR/223448149511?hash=item34068c2e07:g:QfoAAOSwjfhciqe3

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

There were several racing engines based on Ford T blocks. Some were reasonably simple overhead valve set ups like the Roof head and others were single and even double overhead cam.  Some were virtually hand made few of a kind and some were produced in reasonably large numbers.

Greg in Canada

Auto racing was a big novelty from about 1905 to the late teens, then cars became so common the novelty wore off and car racing didn't draw such big crowds.

Purpose built race cars cost from $5000 to $15000 or more, this was not sustainable in the twenties without a corporate sponsor. So someone got the idea of building cheap race cars from Model T Fords, Dodges and Maxwells. They would not be as fast as a full blown race car but a lot cheaper, and if everyone was on an equal footing you could have some close races. Soon they were racing these cars on dirt horse tracks and bull rings around the country.

This may have been the beginning of the speed equipment industry as these hop ups made their way onto regular road cars.

50 minutes ago, motoringicons said:

I believe the red race car in question has a Gemsa head (made in the 1960s-1970s) that is disguised to look like a Galivan head. Still a great piece of equipment. This race car  seems very reasonably priced considering the pieces it contains.

I think you are correct, they are Gemsa CASTINGS, but Joe didn't assemble any of it. This is the MILLER V16 that Joe rebuilt for Chuck Davis, degree of finish is a tad nicer. Bob 

1061786-1536.jpg