Posted (edited)

Was driving and my headlight switch started smoking. White smoke came up from the dash. I took the dash apart and found that my headlight switch was blackened on the coil that the dimmer touches and the plastic around it was black. I opened the switch and saw that the inside was covered in black "lubricant"? Anyways I am curious to hear ideas on why/how this happened. I just took the dash apart and been prodding around. I don't have the shop book with me and I am curious to know if a 63 has a headlight relay?

Is there supposed to be lubricant of some sort on the dimmer coil? (In picture)

It did not blow the fuse

This riv also has a twilight sentinel and a guide-o-matic in it. It's not factory. The guy who owned it before me put it in and that was almost 6 years ago. 

Any and all speculation is appreciated

20190316_194657.jpg

20190316_194636.jpg

20190316_194312.jpg

Edited by offdensen (see edit history)

There isn’t a headlight relay although it is advisable to put one (or several) in. There are stories about how to do that in the forum. The switch probably died from age, check the cabling and install relays before replacing the switch.

New switch: http://www.oldbuickparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_354_355&products_id=6689

I have the head light switch Brand New -- and I have N.O.S. (Metal -- not Chinese plastic) Head Light Relays , if you want to insert one in the circuit.

Always best to simply call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935...