Sign in to follow this  
42cady

1960 McDonough Buckboard

Hi, Can a 1960 McDonough Buckboard be shown at a National AACA show? Does it qualify as one of the mini cars? Thanks.

I had never heard of a 1960 McDonough Buckboard before your post. From a quick Google search, it does not appear to have been a street legal vehicle. If it was not designed to be a street legal vehicle, it would not be eligible for participation in an AACA show. 

.......Smith and Briggs motor wheel cars and the Auto Red Bug were not street legal in most states but do get judged at AACA meets such as Hershey in the fall.....I also have a 1960 McDonough that I'm just finishing up now and plan on showing it as much as possible this year, so I'd be interested in hearing from AACA......Kip in Milford, Ct.     P.S.....would like to see your car 42cady....

I would suggest that you contact the VP of Judging to inquire. There are some "vehicles" that were admitted in the past that are now grandfathered into judging despite not typically having been street legal. If it was not designed to be street legal, it should not be eligible for judging. I think that efforts have been made to prevent additional non-street legal vehicles from slipping into the system.  If it is admitted, I would think that it would be in Class 1c as being similar to an Auto Red Bug, but I don't think that it meets the General Policy for AACA Judging which indicates, "AACA accepts motorized vehicles 25 years old or older, which were built in factories and specifically designed and manufactured for transportation use on public roadways and highways." 

Hi, I just sent a question to the National head of judging and will let you know when I receive his reply. Thanks for the info.