Sign in to follow this  
lincolnold

1942 Continental overdrive knob stuck

The dash knob is stuck in the off / out position.  So no overdrive.  Is this a mechanical or electrical problem?  I will soon be removing the front floor transmission hump cover to investigate.  Any ideas?  Thanks. 

Always do the easiest thing 1st,    jack car up with blocks or jack stands, crawl under and locate OD cable on side of trans. Disconnect  cable trom from trans, now move cable

using knob. Could be just rusted or crudy cable. I thought this might be easier than pulling carpet, removeing trans hump cover.

BTW , I still want to check on my '48 LC  and try and answer you question on the door button issue you are having

You should be able to see from underneath the cable attachment to the lever on the side of the overdrive transmission, and remove if necessary.  the cable is also attached to a bell housing bolt, again you should be able to reach.  Sometimes you need to clean some accumulated dirt and greasy crud. to see what is going on.  I've had cables rust and become hard to operate.  Sometimes you can free up with penetrating oil or wd-40 from the outside, otherwise you can pull out and lube cable with white grease.

Thanks - will tackle the overdrive next weekend.  I also replied to myself on the door lock parts issue in case others are interested.  This might be the only known photos of the lock parts!

For the overdrive I seem to recall on my previous '41 that the knob cannot be pulled in or out at certain speeds.  I ordered the special Ford/Lincoln overdrive repair manual printed in late 1940s to assist.  I like a diagram or illustration to follow.