1940 Buick

rick60

Yes but it wasn’t the antenna. You missed the back up lights. Both are incorrect. The proper antenna installation is on the flat side of the front fender towards the door. It’s a real bugger to install there so the installation as shown would have been easier. The car likely had no radio from the factory.  These cars never had back up lights either. Neither mod should affect the value of the car though. 

Heres a shot of a car that I have that has auxiliary tail lights installed. Some PO went to a lot of trouble to hammer the inset so the lights would pint straight back. Not talking about the vertical crease. FF5E5C34-66E4-403D-B231-9DC85702A84E.thumb.jpeg.5992049699761f5b16888a262fa6a092.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michel88 said:

My '40 Roadmaster has the antenna mounted on the top centered over the windshield.

I stand corrected.  You're correct Michel88, the hard tops had them mounted as you say.  That center windshield mount is even more difficult to install if the car was radio delete. I was mistakenly thinking of the convertible as universal which is fender mounted as shown in the photo below.

1940-Buick-Roadmaster_76C_Convertible-179411420642484_800x600.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for clearing this up, as I thought the car was original paint and don't see how they filled that hole in the roof. As for the Back up lights, mine were mounted on the gravel guard (two guide 31) until the "restoration shop' decided to take that off and throw it away.