glass bowl fuel filter confusion

Summershandy

So I recieved my new fuel filter bowl and just for fun I thought I'd blow into the inlet port and I can't. Also can't blow through the outlet.  I also can't wrap my head around how this is suppose to work. I'll explain my best on how I think somethings wrong. The inlet (left) enters the bowl down through the center of the filter. It exits through the center and that's where it stops. The center is solid. Although it doesn't appear to but, the filter element sits tightly against the bottom of the glass bowl. I can only imagine if the element sat higher, (like the bowl was longer or element shorter) the fuel would exit the hole in the bottom of the element, come back up and through the pleats then exit through the smaller holes at the top to exit the outlet side right. What am I missing here guys?? It's the filter sold by CPR - Thanks 

s-l300.jpg

IMG_7591.JPG

IMG_7592.JPG

I found a post about a fellow whose filter keep falling down. He posted a diagram on fuel flow and looks like the same element as mine. If this is correct like I was saying, the element is so tight against the bottom of the glass there is no way any fuel can get by. I even bought a spare filter element and it's the same size. I am the only person to get one of these? 

6920377266_7edf875f44_b.jpg

Looks like I'm answering myself like I so often do LOL. My spare filter element came with 2 housing gaskets. I put 3 gaskets on the lid so it lengthened the bowl and when I held it tight I could blow air through it. Trouble is the hold down assembly is too short. 2 gaskets it's really really hard to reinstall and I'm scared of breaking it. I'll see if I can do some bending to the clip and make it longer. I still fear that when the gasket becomes compressed, the element will once more bottom out and then I'll have a fuel flow problem. Grrr.....

I was able to stick the filter in the vise and give it a squeeze. I can now easily close it up with 2 gaskets installed. The unit came with only 1 gasket. The spare element came with 2 gaskets. I'd be more comfortable with 3 gasket for best flow but it's a little tight. Guess this post turned into more of an informative than query. Sad, always having to use your brain to fix old AND new. 

IMG_7593.JPG

I was able to make use of all 3 gaskets. It has little to no restriction now. But this is what I would recommend. The top of the filter element is flanged somewhat. 1 gasket goes on the housing then push the element in place then and add the remaining gaskets. Those added gaskets not only lengthen the glass allowing fuel to easily pass but it holds the element in place and prevents it from possibly dropping out of it's seat then becoming redundant. 

IMG_7594.JPG

17 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Doesn’t the fuel enter the filter though the center hole in the filter?

You are correct. Check that diagram again, green fuel in, red fuel out. The bottom of my element was so tight against the bottom of the glass I couldn't blow ANY air through, let alone fuel. I am so glad I tried this for fun before I tried starting my car for the start of cruise season! 

2 minutes ago, Summershandy said:

You are correct. Check that diagram again, green fuel in, red fuel out. The bottom of my element was so tight against the bottom of the glass I couldn't blow ANY air through, let alone fuel. I am so glad I tried this for fun before I tried starting my car for the start of cruise season! 

Looking at some videos it seems the fuel exits through the center, I went back and edited my first comment!  Using it with fuel will be the real test.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

50 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Looking at some videos it seems the fuel exits through the center

I suppose the flow can be from either direction depending on the manufacture. If I were to switch the inlet/outlet the media would get caught on the inside of the pleats rather than the outside. Also those little holes could get plugged. All in all as long as sediment can easily drop to the bottom. Looking back myself, I failed to inform or take a picture that my filter element has a hole completely through it.  Sorry if I confused you (and me). Fuel enters the center and drops sediment straight down to the bottom of the bowl. 

fig0407.gif

• Like 1

No sir.

The fuel must enter the outside of the paper and come through the paper to exit. This is a filter, not a sedimentation bowl. If your element filter has a hole right through the centre, it must must be held onto the bottom of the container to make sure the fuel goes through the paper. The fuel enters as shown in your last line drawing, goes through the paper (dirt on outside) then out the centre. Notice that in that line drawing, the filter element is sealed across the bottom. In yours, the seal is against the housing.

Throw away that photo with green and red arrows on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

The fuel must enter the outside of the paper and come through the paper to exit.

Spinneyhill,

The fuel does enter the outside of the paper. The inlet is the hole in the center. The fuel goes down the hole and exits at the bottom, then comes back up between the element and glass bowl to be filtered from the outside of the paper. It passes through the pleats then exits those tiny holes to the outlet to the carburetor. It's nothing like the lined drawing. That's the best I can describe it. It isn't your OEM filter I guess but I know what you're saying. I couldn't blow any air through it before the mod and now it blows through to the outlet. These are the different styles of fuel filters below. Mine is second from the left an AC Delco repop.

1 hour ago, misterc9 said:

This a lot of horsing around just to install a new filter.

This isn't the first time I've had to tweek new products to make fit or work. Bending the hold down clip was easy to make fit more gaskets. I also wonder why the spare filter element came with 2 gaskets when the complete unit only has 1. I'm thinking I got shorted a gasket. I could probably get away with just 2 but I feel a better air flow with the 3. 

Fuel-GasolineFilters011.jpg

Edited by Summershandy
misspell (see edit history)