Sign in to follow this  
gregchrysler

starter one click no start

Hello again   I have a 49 chrysler 251 ci 6 cylinder spitfire  and trouble starting  -bought battery and starter to ace armature and they both bench tested fine  . Then put back in engine and only one click   no start     bought new battery cables still no start  jumped positive to solenoid get one click  - so anyone have any great ideas?   could it be voltage regulator?  thanks in advance 

IMG_20180718_082611_194.jpg

Check your ground connections.  Is the transmission messed up?

Did you get the right cables, 6v are twice as big as the 12v cables commonly sold. Did they test them on 6 or 12v? If the starter battery and solenoid are good all that is left is bad cables or loose or dirty connections.

• Like 1

motor flex plate turns freely    I always had 12 volt battery cables for years and started right up   is 1 click from solenoid a voltage problem  thanks

Posted (edited)

Jut for sh*ts and grins try another known good battery. I have had batteries test ok and then fail under a strong load. Also as was suggested make sure that the engine of the car is not locked up for some unknown reason. 

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 1

flex plate moves easily  rocked car about 2 feet forward and back no problem     it's go to be something simple  tried jumping negative (positive ground)   to  strarter trigger and one click   no  start   also put ground directly to  ground on solenoid   one  click         negative to bolt in starter turns the motor great but no bendix

if flex plate turns  motor should be ok  and press on clutch to make sure not in gear     can overdrive lock everything  up???

I do not have any better advice than what you have been given.when you said battery tested good did they use a carbon pile to test?or just volt meter.if meter that will not show true condition as a load test will.also you asked about voltage regulator in early post but no one answered so  I  will no it will not affect starting..

If the battery is perfect and the cables are perfect and the relay is perfect and the solenoid is perfect and the starter is perfect and the ground is perfect and there are no loose or dirty connections hop in and go for a ride, there is nothing wrong with it.

• Like 1

Have you tried jumping the solenoid?

I had that problem with my '59 Chevy 6 banger.

Turned out to be the ignition switch...... :wacko:

What happened before this? Was the car in storage for the winter? Had you been making repairs to another problem? How long since it last started correctly? Did you just go to the store one day and no start since? Put a voltmeter on the battery and try to start the car. Watch the voltmeter what does the voltage drop to? If it crashes you either have a locked up motor or a battery that will not handle the load. If it does not drop at all you most likely have a cable problem.

if I push down on clutch    should be no stress on tranny     just motor     but flex plate turns freely     what about generator???

8 minutes ago, gregchrysler said:

if I push down on clutch    should be no stress on tranny     just motor     but flex plate turns freely     what about generator???

If the regulator has sticking points it could be drawing down the battery.  Make sure the battery is fully charged and try starting with the generator output disconnected.

Generator and voltage regulator are in cahoots to charge the battery. True, as noted above, if either is bad, it can cause a dead battery. But, neither will keep a charged battery from starting an engine!

So, is the battery charged? As noted in post by Jeff, use a voltmeter on the battery terminals while someone tries starting the engine. If the battery shows 5+ volts or better during the "click", then put the voltmeter on the battery cable terminals (not the actual lead post of the battery, use the lead part that the wire connects to) and try again. Still have 5+ volts? Move voltmeter leads to starter solenoid, test again. etc etc. Somewhere the voltage will drop to a low level, and the problem will be between the last good reading and the low reading.

I'm curious you keep mentioning flex plate turns ok, do you have trans out ? 

tranny is in but no reverse   turned flexplate after starter out  turned easily  battery putting out 575 cca   and 5.88 volts checked at napa   said battery good   but I think it is the battery  over 3 years old

Take one starter bolt out and clean contact area of bolt head. Run a jumper wire to ground cable on block.. sounds like bad ground to me.,. John

thanks john  but  ran ground right to bolt from bell housing to bolt to attach starter        checked with ohmmeter   0.00 from ground resistance  starter bolt to ground on battery

I .m getting an 875  cca battery tommorow  see if it  works