rrs814

Back (after a long hiatus) - TACH, TEMP gauges not moving '90 Reatta

Posted (edited)

I've always requested forgiveness for my ignorance, and NOW is no exception. I haven't been driving it for a couple years (medical thing) but I run it and "move it around the yard" once a week. I DID drive it a few miles after having it towed recently having had  ICM replaced. All has been well  until today when the the tach visually went up quick, then stopped working, along with the temp gauge. I'm "thinking" the speedo MIGHT not function (but can't take on road for a couple days. ----  ANY IDEAS???????   THANKS

Edited by rrs814
spelling (see edit history)

Do the diagnostics work ?

Disconnect the battery cable, wait a couple of minutes and then reconnect. This has been known to cure a lot of unusual electrical problems.

Thanks Ronnie! That actually worked.........for a short time ( af ew weeks of no driving, just idling for about 5 minutesa week.) I don't drive it until weather clears, so only start it every week at this point.  Prior to the guage troubles I had the Ignition C M (and "bad" wires to it) replaced 21 miles ago (yes...21). Started it today and AGAIN, no tach or temp gauge and it dies after a couple seconds. Won't keep running. I called the shop to speak to the owner but he's now gone for the day. I WILL call him Monday morning. Sadly, it'll be yet another tow-in and wait a day or 3. -  IF ANY OF YOU GUYS have an idea of what it might be, PLEASE let me know.  -  THANKS

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think you are close to am answer. Have your mechanic check all the electrical connections, at the battery, the support next to the radiator, and the ground and power connection boxes behind the battery.

These cars are all about good connections. Also what is the strength of the battery? Alternator good?

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

I would check all the wires that go into the ICM that you had replaced. Sounds like some are not making contact correctly..

It's been in the shop since Tuesday.......It actually started and behaved nornally right before I had it towed in (with my luck, it would have died en-route) had I driven it in).

They've started it every hour, and it WON'T misbehave........It's CRAZY-MAKING.  I just emailed them all of YOUR responses.  What have I done to deserve this??????