Mike "Hubbie" Stearns

Have ya ever seen one of these

Im in the process of figuring out my options to do a repower for my fire truck. I decided to separate the engine and transmission to ger bellhousing measurements. This is the clutch I found. I haven't seen a clutch with 8 separate disks before, have you?  The clutch is a fuller RU16 which is the same model as the transmission. It's size 9 according to the build sheets I have on the truck

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks just like a multi disc clutch that were used in many vehicles.  If I were doing a repower again I would do the complete engine and transmission.  Much easier to find a complete matched unit.

Similar to the '28 Model A Ford before they changed to a single disc.  The "A" has four or five discs, not exactly sure how many.

• Like 1

Yes, check the FORD BARN Forum for info on the Model A multi disk clutch. There are several ways to rebuild them, some people use Harley Davidson disks in the overhaul. Bob 

I  thought the 1928 Model A was the only  Model A that used that multi disk clutch.  ??

Here is a 1926-'27 Cadillac clutch. Make it simple, and take Tinindian's advice. These multiple plate clutch packs, particularly without a clutch brake, are a bit of a pain to drive. And an even bigger pain to custom mate up where none have been before.   -   Carl 

11E6E9D6-5E90-4C5B-8C65-F42D235C9910.jpeg

I have a 56 Ford F750 fire truck that had a 302 Y block in it with overdrive.

I installed a Ford 460 out of a E350 camper with an auto trans.

Older campers are very inexpensive to buy and many have very low milage. I even got mine for free as the unit had extensive water damage due to a leaking roof.

Plenty of power, my only regret is that I did not use an overdrive trans.

We just sent a similar multi disc clutch from an ALF to Fort Wayne Clutch for relining.

Thanks to you all for the info. I didn't think this type of clutch was that common back then but does make sense since engines of the time were inline. Generally inlines are good torque makers. Mike